Your car is only “mobile” 5% of the time

The place to discuss everything else..
advance2020

Post by advance2020 »

An interesting article about EVs, charging and their adoption over the next 10yrs.
https://www.siliconroundabout.org.uk/20 ... pod-point/

As you may know, I’m quite a fan of PodPoint @tesco
Platinum White Pearl: e-driving green at last, on R17 Michelin Pilot Sport
A fan of One Pedal Driving max >>> and physical buttons

Larbor

Post by Larbor »

The less than 5% is an excellent argument against car ownership. Except for rural areas.

What is a big bit misleading is the following.

“ Conversely, today’s EV drivers awake each day to a full battery, offering in excess of 250 miles in all conditions. NB: 75% of UK drivers park off-street at home, much of the remaining 25% will have the same experience at the end of the work day. Top up charging is available at your other destinations like supermarkets, gyms etc. Rarely required en route charging fits a natural comfort break during a >4 hour drive.”

Perhaps Today’s EV drivers, but there are millions of people without off street parking. I am one of them and with the infrastructure in Northern Ireland, I don’t wake up to a full charge every day, and I have to wait hours unless I am close to a 50kw charger. Those are rare, private or in use.

Clearly this needs to be addressed before we’ll see a proper uptake of EV’s here and similar countries.

On street popup chargers, as featured in a Fully Charged episode, is what we need.

Unfortunately I can’t see it happening anytime soon here. Instead of skipping gas here and going to more future proof solutions, they’re putting in gas left right and centre.
keithr

Post by keithr »

renedekat wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 8:12 am The less than 5% is an excellent argument against car ownership. Except for rural areas.
Is it? Thats an average of 1 hour and 12 minutes of driving every day of the year. I'd much rather be able to do that in my own car than having to spend probably at least double that time using public transport, and having to lug my shopping around on a bus, get cold and wet, etc..
Larbor

Post by Larbor »

keithr wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 12:25 pm
renedekat wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 8:12 am The less than 5% is an excellent argument against car ownership. Except for rural areas.
Is it? Thats an average of 1 hour and 12 minutes of driving every day of the year. I'd much rather be able to do that in my own car than having to spend probably at least double that time using public transport, and having to lug my shopping around on a bus, get cold and wet, etc..
It is indeed. You're limiting yourself to the current forms of alternative transport.
Self driving cars on demand or car sharing make a lot more sense. If you can jump into any car in your car, drive it and leave it, that would make a lot more sense. All those cars parked on the street take up living space. They're also a an eyesore in my opinion. Drive through any town/city and all you see is parked cars. I'd rather see trees and plants and the ability for children to play like we used to do. Car sharing and cars on demand in combination with public transport are the solution.
londiniumperson

Post by londiniumperson »

renedekat wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 12:37 pm
keithr wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 12:25 pm
It is indeed. You're limiting yourself to the current forms of alternative transport.
Self driving cars on demand or car sharing make a lot more sense. If you can jump into any car in your car, drive it and leave it, that would make a lot more sense. All those cars parked on the street take up living space. They're also a an eyesore in my opinion. Drive through any town/city and all you see is parked cars. I'd rather see trees and plants and the ability for children to play like we used to do. Car sharing and cars on demand in combination with public transport are the solution.
I think that my children's generation will see this happen, but I can't see it happening over the whole of the UK even then, there are just too many rural/semi-rural areas where it won't be financially viable.
I live in a town of a popular of 25k+ people and the public transport is diabolical. My 35min drive each way to/from work takes about 2.5 hours each way by public transport/walking and even then I can't leave home until 8:30am (first bus) and would have to leave work by 3pm to get the last bus from my home train station to catch the last bus home, or I've an extra 30min walk home :(
2022 Advance in Crystal Black Pearl on 17's - 08/2020-Current
2015 VW Tiguan (Pure White) - 04/2018-Current
1991 Honda Beat PP1 (Festival Red) - 11/2022-Current
keithr

Post by keithr »

renedekat wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 12:37 pm Self driving cars on demand or car sharing make a lot more sense. If you can jump into any car in your car, drive it and leave it, that would make a lot more sense.
I don't trust self driving cars (not yet anyway), and I don't fancy having to drive on roads where there are driverless cars moving around. What happens if one drives into your car and then drives off? (Or maybe that doesn't matter if you're also in a car that you don't own!) Who's responsible if a driverless car runs over a child (and if nobody else is around who's going to call for an ambulance)? Also, if people are summoning driverless cars to come to where they are all the time, rather than walking back to where they parked their car, that is just going to increase the amount of traffic congestion. And where are these driverless cars going to park when they're not in use, if not where owners would park their own cars anyhow?
All those cars parked on the street ... are also an eyesore in my opinion.
Well I quite like the look of my Honda e! :)
I'd rather see trees and plants and the ability for children to play like we used to do.
But where are the driverless cars going to go when you want one, if there are no roads, or no parking spaces for them to stop in? I never played in the roads when I was a child, I always preferred to go to more interesting and suitable places in order to play. And nowadays the children seem to want stay indoors and play with computers/phones!

Perhaps a better solution would be much smaller, single person vehicles, with a small amount of luggage space. Like the Paxster that Bjorn Nyland drove - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t3qEuUJ ... B8rnNyland. :lol:
londiniumperson

keithr wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 2:05 pm ...
But where are the driverless cars going to go when you want one, if there are no roads, or no parking spaces for them to stop in? I never played in the roads when I was a child, I always preferred to go to more interesting and suitable places in order to play. And nowadays the children seem to want stay indoors and play with computers/phones!
They'll be in allocated charging locations at various locations a short distance from the houses awaiting use.
keithr

Post by keithr »

londiniumperson wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 2:15 pm They'll be in allocated charging locations at various locations a short distance from the houses awaiting use.
That's a lot of infrastructure change (there are no places near me where they could be parked). Hopefully there will people employed to clean the vehicles too? I think I still would prefer to have my own car. (Did you see Wheeler Dealers last night? The car they worked on had toenail, or fingernail, clippings on the carpet. Goodness knows how people will treat cars that they don't own. I'm not convinced they'll treat them well. It's not like they have to take them back to a car hire place where the cars are inspected.)
londiniumperson

keithr wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 2:41 pm
londiniumperson wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 2:15 pm They'll be in allocated charging locations at various locations a short distance from the houses awaiting use.
That's a lot of infrastructure change (there are no places near me where they could be parked). Hopefully there will people employed to clean the vehicles too? I think I still would prefer to have my own car. (Did you see Wheeler Dealers last night? The car they worked on had toenail, or fingernail, clippings on the carpet. Goodness knows how people will treat cars that they don't own. I'm not convinced they'll treat them well. It's not like they have to take them back to a car hire place where the cars are inspected.)
By then, shops and offices will no longer exist with everyone working from home, so they'll be loads of land that can be repurposed.
As for looking after the car's (or whatever they're called in future) there'll be robot cleaning and camera systems to inspect the vehicle after every use and bill damage accordingly.
rickwookie

Post by rickwookie »

There’ll be less parked cars required because the cars would be shared, that’s the whole point.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post