EV on Motorway standstill senario

The place to discuss everything else..
Marmite

Post by Marmite »

I have been watching Japanese news re. snowed in motorway for 30hours (!). One person on TV commented that in the future if most of those cars were EV as the government leading, would it had been better or worse in this kind of situation, which made me wonder.

Whatever the reason if I'm driving EV then come to stand still on the motorway for long time, I'm not sure for many small decisions. Can I ask your recommendation here so that I will have it on my phone - though I will do my best to avoid the situation to start with I promise!!

Generally I would like to keep radio on for information, I may charge my phone when necessary, which is separate battery so it's OK? I may feel like to check if the car still start OK from time to time, or to open & close the windows (which I shouldn't do too much??) I will check the distance to the next service station & if they have EV charger & make sure I have enough charge left to reach there. Empty EVs blocking the traffic jam won't be pretty site.

Freezing cold/snowing situation
Keep the radio on, keep the lowest heating, perhaps turn on/off from time to time, or burst/pre condition for 10min then turn off, what is the best to keep the remaining charge. At least I don't need to worry about snow blocking the exhaust pipe!

Hot sun situation
Radio on, open the window, but turn on & close window, burst/pre condition from time to time, or keep minimum air conditioning continuously would be better?

I'm certain I'm massively wrong somewhere above :oops: At least we don't need to worry about earthquake here thank goodness.
2020 e Advance : Modern Steel Metallic + blue accent :mrgreen:

Trykpaa

Post by Trykpaa »

If it worries you, try to let the car be parked with the heater on for 1h to see the battery usage. Then you know what to expect and how much charge to have in reserve. I suspect It will be 5% ish with modest heat on.

30h stuck, you will end up being cold, dark alone (phone dead) anyway. If that's the direction things are heading, seek shelter with a fellow motorists with plenty of fuel in the tank. A normal ICE car uses 0,6-1l/h idling so even that isn't going to last forever.
milligoon

Post by milligoon »

Live traffic info via Google maps is possibly your best bet to keep your eye on, done via Android auto or apple car play, pre empt heavy traffic jams and get off before driving into it (long experience of commuting on the A303 not wishing ever to take 4 hours to do half a mile again)
Ex e owner
keithr

Post by keithr »

You might be interested to watch some of Bjorn Nyland's YouTube videos where he sleeps in a BEV overnight (during cold Norway nights), e.g. his most recent video Sleeping in 2021 Tesla Model 3 in -8°C.
Marmite

Post by Marmite »

Trykpaa, thank you for giving some figures - I may try in the different climate once I have my e! 30h is extreme but I did 5 hours on M1 in the past...
Milligoon, I will have them on the next to Sat Nav then when I do make journey with possible sticking point (eg around J4 on M40!!), many thanks
keithr, I never knew Tesla has 'Camping mode' lol. Very interesting, thank you.
2020 e Advance : Modern Steel Metallic + blue accent :mrgreen: