Boot capacity and nostalgia

The place to discuss everything else..
advance2020

Post by advance2020 »

So many Reviews have mentioned the Honda e's limited boot size. A result of rear wheel drive, motor size/location and excellent suspension impinging from many directions. Yes, it's small by modern standards and comparisons, but is it too small?

As I “traded up” from a Toyota iQ that didn't really have a boot, I was use to having it in 2 seat mode, with the rear seats tucked away, giving me plenty of capacity, even for a mountain bike, sans wheels. And I thought I might have to fold my rear seats in the “e” but as yet, I have not had to encroach into my Lounge. How about you?

But I’m also reflecting back here to how cars used to be.
My Morgan 4/4 just had a small space behind the seats. No boot, just a fuel tank and spare wheel in the rear. My Morris 1000 has a modest boot. My original 60's Mini: very small boot. Not sure that a Renault 4 or a Peugeot 205 1.6 Gti had a spacious boot.

No, what has happened is that we expect more. Cars have got bigger, and the stuff we have to carry with us has enlarged. Think Buggies. They are now nearer the size of a mobility scooter. I remember the simple buggies, that were not much bigger, or heavier than a full size umbrella.

And then there are people who play golf, who own more than one dog, have large backpacks etc.

Whatever happened to travelling light?
Platinum White Pearl: e-driving green at last, on R17 Michelin Pilot Sport
A fan of One Pedal Driving max >>> and physical buttons

FDAD

Post by FDAD »

For me boot space is not really a problem.
Honda E advance [Modern Steel Metallic] 8-) [DELIVERED JULY 2020] - 85 000Kms + ✌️🎂
Joolsdc

Post by Joolsdc »

Totally agree with your point Advanced

My first car was a VW Beetle 1200 L.
It had a small space behind the rear seat you could wrestle a suitcase into. Or squashy bag in the front (original froot?). Or you could fold the rear bench seat down. And then slot items thru the door, with the front seat folded forward.
I remember my dad and I taking all my stuff off to university and back. And laughing at Volvo Estate owners struggling to get stuff into their boots. Happy daze.

I also had a smart Brabus Roadster Coupe. The definition of a small car. Plenty of space for working away for a week. And even a passenger sometimes

If you regularly need to carry five 6’ gents on long journeys, the e is not for you.
londiniumperson

Post by londiniumperson »

I also agree with both of you Advance & Jools.

Like both of you I've owned smallish cars at times, my last one was a 2003 BMW Mini, with small boot and rear seats that are barely big enough for a kid under 10.
I've also owned larger cars like Jeep Cherokee, Renault Scenic & VW Touran amongst others.
No matter how large or small your car is, when you have kids it all fits in & is rammed full whether a day out or a holiday.
2022 Advance in Crystal Black Pearl on 17's - 08/2020-Current
2015 VW Tiguan (Pure White) - 04/2018-Current
1991 Honda Beat PP1 (Festival Red) - 11/2022-Current
Left4Cookies

Post by Left4Cookies »

It seems we tend to pack relative to what we have (not that we have other options lol).

Christmas 2019 wife and I rented a Tesla Model 3 to drive home and the trunk (400 something liter) was basically packed to it's limits. Christmas 2020 in the Honda E (171 liter): Same story. I also stood there for a while wondering where the hell the remaining 200 liter of crap we hauled back and forth last time went, though the Covid-Christmas' limitations on party sizes (and number of gifts to transport) might say something about it.

We'll find out in 11 months :)
milligoon

Post by milligoon »

Just like bigger houses with bigger cars you fill them up with more crap.

I also had a Morgan and had no luggage worries and have been to the Nordkapp in my smart Roadster with my missus, amazing what you can do with a small car, I used to use my GT 86 to go to the tip, people were shocked to see how much stuff I took out of my asbo orange car 😁
Ex e owner
Larbor

Post by Larbor »

Interesting point, and I would like to add that there is no evidence that we are happier now. On the contrary, we’re just as content. All the stuff we have doesn’t add anything to our happiness.
ChesterUK

Post by ChesterUK »

The Honda e has the smallest boot size of any car either my wife or I have owned. I needed to double check that! The smallest I've had was my Fiat Unos, and both the Streetka and MX-5 NC my wife has had are larger in capacity, but actually I find it's the boot lid that limits the aperture to loading/unloading that causes more problems.

We're used to small spaces, particularly at home, and small cars are fine for us. In fact it provides an opportunity to gamify loading the car! Every now and again my wife does a large shop with some large items and fills the boot. She hasn't yet needed the foot well except for her additional work stuff.

And I've been using it for tip runs. With the rear bench down you can't get any long items in the car but saw things into sections, I managed to get an entire fitted wardrobe into it, 3 bags of garden waste, a couple of dozen flat packed cardboard boxes. I actually needed the passenger footwell and seat for that run, but there were some nooks left for more! The suspension couldn't take any more though.

For a small (not tiny) car, it's doing very well and doesn't leave us wanting for more.
keithr

Post by keithr »

The last petrol car that I had was a Toyota iQ. It had a tiny boot - only 32 litres! It increased to 238 litres with the rear seats down. And yet I once bought a double-bed and transported it home in the iQ! :o

(Okay, so I admit it a was a disassembled steel frame bed with a rolled up and vacuum packed memory foam mattress, and I couldn't see out of the left side window and left side of the windscreen so it was a bit dangerous turning right at a T-junction, but I did manage to get it home safely. :roll: )

Oh, and the iQ had a turning radius of 3.9m - tighter than the Honda e's 4.3 - 4.6m.
Malcs

Post by Malcs »

Had initial doubts over the success of this plan but managed 5x 145litre boxes with lids. One on passenger seat and door had to be tied down with a bin liner.

2332CBAB-769D-4D6D-858F-DD3C09EAC8DB.jpeg

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post