Finally may get my wallbox next week.

The place to discuss everything else..
milligoon

Post by milligoon »

Hopefully on Wednesday I should be getting an Andersen A2 fitted (along with updating our consumer board to a more accomodating one - thinking induction hob and maybe ASHP at some point)

I'll finally be able to charge overnight in the octopus go window (I do around 40 miles per day) and finally my garage roller door can be fully closed properly at night, we have quite a few mice around here so far have escaped any damage but did find some tell tale signs they'd been in!

Was going to have another charger but swmbo wasn't to taken with a lot of the chargers I'd looked at!

The delay had the odd contractor let us down and not tell us etc.

So finally I won't have to work in reverse polish notation to work out when my car will charge (Honda what were you thinking?)
Ex e owner

Joolsdc

Post by Joolsdc »

Excellent Milli
I’m also investigating an ASHP to replace my oil boiler
Marmite

Post by Marmite »

We installed Finnish made "Ensto" wall box with coiled tethered cable with end holder at side, when I had Smart EQ 3years ago. It was perfect for the charge point on Smart (back right) but now having Honda e, though it's reachable it was too tight & may damage car paint (as somebody suggested here when I put the charging pic).

So we thought, let's have simple swap. Why nothing is simple I don't know, but UK Ensto supplier told us they don't supply charger only and if we fiddle, the guarantee would be annulled. Well 3yrs guarantee will be finished soon anyway, so hubby purchased longer straight tethered cable (4 coloured codes sticking out). Upon opening the wall box he found our box was Phase 2 type even our house is Phase 1 and the current cable had 6 coloured codes. Que mission impossible music, box closed and back to UK Ensto supplier with e-mail exchange. After intermittently grumpy husband, we were reassured it is normal practice and not mistake. Returned & exchanged the cable to Phase 2 type. Phase 1 could be attached apparently but he didn't want to leave 2 connector empty. And just yesterday replacement cable attached and worked - phew. Now I'm waiting for a cable holder, then hopefully it's done!! My e is still with dealer though anyway, waiting for replacement TCU.

Apology for the rant but funny the first thing I see this morning was 'wall box', so I had to :)

Fingers crossed you will have wall box without further delay!
2020 e Advance : Modern Steel Metallic + blue accent :mrgreen:
milligoon

Post by milligoon »

Well it was fitted on Wednesday nice and soggy in the afternoon - poor leccy🙄

Glad we had the consumer unit changed at the same time highlighted that the tails from the meter to the solar install and consumer unit had been under rated all the time we had lived here, we have 100 Amp in coming fuse the tails into the house were only rated for 60 Amp - pity the other electricians over the years doing various installs failed to spot that! 😤

Nicely sorted and the house should now be able to manage inductive hob and possible Heat Pump when we can afford it (To be fair Gas is to cheap to bin off at the moment)

The charger has even squirted some excess solar into the Honda today 😁

Granny charger now back in its bag in the back of the car along with the type 2 lead.
Ex e owner
Marmite

Post by Marmite »

:P Congrats!
2020 e Advance : Modern Steel Metallic + blue accent :mrgreen:
ChesterUK

Post by ChesterUK »

There's something really exciting and satisfying about charging with surplus solar energy, especially in the winter months. One day in January, the e's SoC was below 20% and over 2 days of nothing but solar charging, 100%! It's a bit strange watching the system export energy whilst the car is still charging. When I first saw this I thought we had an issue, but of course the car is consuming such little energy during the latter stages of charging.
bogga

Post by bogga »

ChesterUK wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 9:45 am There's something really exciting and satisfying about charging with surplus solar energy, especially in the winter months. One day in January, the e's SoC was below 20% and over 2 days of nothing but solar charging, 100%! It's a bit strange watching the system export energy whilst the car is still charging. When I first saw this I thought we had an issue, but of course the car is consuming such little energy during the latter stages of charging.
How big is your system?
rickwookie

Post by rickwookie »

milligoon wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 3:08 pm Well it was fitted on Wednesday nice and soggy in the afternoon - poor leccy🙄

Glad we had the consumer unit changed at the same time highlighted that the tails from the meter to the solar install and consumer unit had been under rated all the time we had lived here, we have 100 Amp in coming fuse the tails into the house were only rated for 60 Amp - pity the other electricians over the years doing various installs failed to spot that! 😤

Nicely sorted and the house should now be able to manage inductive hob and possible Heat Pump when we can afford it (To be fair Gas is to cheap to bin off at the moment)

The charger has even squirted some excess solar into the Honda today 😁

Granny charger now back in its bag in the back of the car along with the type 2 lead.
How was the overall experience with Andersen for you?

I’ve been put right off them after dealing with their “support” and the unfathomable reality that they’ve binned off the Ethernet connector from the charger so now it’s WiFi only. Apparently there’s not enough margin in the £1350 charger to justify the few pence to fit the RJ45 socket. 🙄

The only hard-wired data EVSE that I can find now is the EO Mini Pro 2, and after lusting over a wooden fronted A2 for so long, you can imagine how I feel about that! Also the EO doesn’t have sufficient in-built earth protection so you need an over-the-top additional box added next to the consumer unit.

Anyway, in prep I too have done the full consumer unit upgrade as the old one was from the 80s at the latest. No RCDs at all. I now have full RCBOs and a surge protection device. If you still have a spare way in your new board, I’d definitely recommend getting an SPD.

I now have two sets of armoured power cable and two external Cat cables, one set going to each side of my drive, so whatever charge point now ends up there will be the easiest install ever for whoever does it. The seconds set is for when I add another charge point once my fossil burner is finally retired.

BTW I’m surprised your local DNO ever fitted a 100 A cutout if you only had 16 mm² meter tails. I had to send a picture of my service head showing the new 25 mm² tails to UKPN before they would come around and swap my 60 A cutout to a 100 A.
milligoon

Post by milligoon »

It has a hard Ethernet port inside, and when setting the app settings you can set via ethernet or WiFi.

Only issue I had was the electrician firm I had didn't set up the solar option in software on install, just a quick phone call to tech support and they activated that right away.

So far very happy with it. I went for the 8.5 m cable option so I don't have to park the e so close to the house.

The scheduling is much more logical than the e not charging!🤔

Re the 100 amp fuse that was from when the house was built as well as the original tails, it just goes to show how gash some certified inspections can be!
Ex e owner
rickwookie

Post by rickwookie »

milligoon wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 11:52 am It has a hard Ethernet port inside, and when setting the app settings you can set via ethernet or WiFi.
What?! Could I ask, did you buy this direct from Andersen, and when did you order it?

They were adamant with me that the Ethernet port has gone and they're not interested in replacing it any time soon, nor finding me an older unit that still has it. I've also found other reports on line from last August that the port had gone.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post