Wall box charging cable replacement; before/after

The place to discuss everything else..
Marmite

Post by Marmite »

In case anybody interested, but more likely for my own record to keep;

We had ENSTO wall box installed 3 years ago with my previous EV (Smart EQ). Original order form & Certificate & Government Grant claim document all mention 'one phase'. Husband later got Mini PHEV so we swapped our cars when necessary to charge. It's been working just fine.

However now I have Honda e and charging point moved from right/back to front, the coiled charger was too tight at my normal parking position & may damage the paint, so we decided to replace the cable with longer straight type.

ENSTO UK supplier told us they don't swap cables, and we shouldn't fiddle otherwise the guarantee would be invalid. We didn't want another box (!) so husband purchased longer (7.5m) tethered cable which is widely available. However upon opening the wall box there were 6 coloured codes attached to various places (= two phase) rather than 4 coloured codes which new cable (= one phase) has. After several e-mail exchange, we were reassured it is normal practice and though the box&cable were two-phase type it was installed as one phase, therefore all the documentation were correct :!: :?:

So we found two-phase tethered cable instead, just connected exactly how they were. Yesterday the side holder arrived separately and all done! I can easily undo only a part of cable to charge my e. Husband can charge his Mini without swapping cars now.

All is well - but we shall make sure to purchase what we exactly want if/when we decide to renew our wall box in the future!

Before

IMG_4596.JPG

IMG_4595.JPG

Cables, what it should have been and what it was!

IMG_4683.JPG

IMG_4664 (2).JPG

After

IMG_4677.JPG

IMG_4678.JPG

IMG_4687 (2)_LI.jpg

2020 e Advance : Modern Steel Metallic + blue accent :mrgreen:

iHansz

Post by iHansz »

Nice work! I had never dared.
Dutch Advance in Charge Yellow on 17"
1st registered Oct 2020
Home charger: public charging stations only
advance2020

Post by advance2020 »

Hi Marmite,

Well worth the effort. Didn't like to see that coiled cable “resting” on your lovelee e. It doesn't take much wear to start scoring a paint surface. Plus it all looked a bit tight for comfort.
Platinum White Pearl: e-driving green at last, on R17 Michelin Pilot Sport
A fan of One Pedal Driving max >>> and physical buttons
Marmite

Post by Marmite »

iHansz wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 4:40 pm Nice work! I had never dared.
Hi iHansz, thank you

I will pass your comment to hubby :)
We tried to book local electrician initially but the job was too small for them even to have quote back. So husband researched internet/youtube and decided it can be done free! As long as you have same numbers of colors though....
Marmite

Post by Marmite »

advance2020 wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 5:14 pm Hi Marmite,

Well worth the effort. Didn't like to see that coiled cable “resting” on your lovelee e. It doesn't take much wear to start scoring a paint surface. Plus it all looked a bit tight for comfort.
Yes thank you advance2020, your original comment prompted the discussion with hubby to start with. He was quick enough to agree however there were some unrepeatable words coming out from his mouth after the exchange with UK supplier re. phase issue :oops:

I guess (and sincerely hope) the wall charger box market are much more established by now and nobody has our surprise and/or problem!
rickwookie

Post by rickwookie »

Marmite wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 3:19 pm However upon opening the wall box there were 6 coloured codes attached to various places (= two phase) rather than 4 coloured codes which new cable (= one phase) has.
Hi Marmite

It’s a bit late now, but yes you could have just used a single phase tethered cable, since the large black and grey cores in your old cable are for the second two phases of a three-phase system, which you’re not using. The advantage of using a single-phase cable is it’s significantly thinner (e.g. 11 mm vs 15 mm diameter).

Anyway, first time I’ve seen your blue-accent e, and it looks great!
Marmite

Post by Marmite »

rickwookie wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 10:01 am It’s a bit late now, but yes you could have just used a single phase tethered cable, since the large black and grey cores in your old cable are for the second two phases of a three-phase system, which you’re not using. The advantage of using a single-phase cable is it’s significantly thinner (e.g. 11 mm vs 15 mm diameter).

Anyway, first time I’ve seen your blue-accent e, and it looks great!
Hi rickwookie, thanks for your input! Yes we had both cables with us for a while and debated. The actual wiring was slightly different from the supposed diagram & if we change them back then charging didn't work - something with Finnish made, we don't know but in the end we decided to go for heavier cable and leave the wiring as they were. I only need to unwrap once to charge, hubby needs to deal with the full weight but he can handle!

Thank you for your comment re. blue-accent :P - I see you are St Albans, I think you are the nearest from me on this forum (I'm in Amersham), I go through St Albans when I want to avoid Watford congestion - I shall keep my eyes peeled for your e!
rickwookie

Post by rickwookie »

Marmite wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 11:21 am I go through St Albans when I want to avoid Watford congestion - I shall keep my eyes peeled for your e!
Ah so it’s YOU causing all the traffic in St Albans! 🤪

There are a couple of users on here (bogga and NewCode) in Hemel I think, so if you ever go A41 route, you might pass more than one e on the same journey. 👍
ChesterUK

Post by ChesterUK »

Much better Marmite. The paint will definitely thank you for it. I would still be a little cautious of the the cable picking up any grit or grime and rubbing it into the bumper, but a periodic check of the cable jacket is probably fine as long as the bumper is protected and the cable never rests on the ground.
bogga

Post by bogga »

Hi

Can I ask where you got this?

Screenshot_20210307-134716.jpg

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post