Blind or Stupid ICE parking

The place to discuss everything else..
bogga

Post by bogga »

I think the EV charging points are usually positioned where it's most easy to plug it in.. sometimes that's next to the building and sometimes the other end of the car park. We don't know the electrical cable routing from the substation to the shop....

londiniumperson

Post by londiniumperson »

bogga wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 11:30 am I think the EV charging points are usually positioned where it's most easy to plug it in.. sometimes that's next to the building and sometimes the other end of the car park. We don't know the electrical cable routing from the substation to the shop....
Exactly, this is probably most notable at Tesco because they are installed by a 3rd on behalf of VW on Tesco property and I suspect that low cost is the priority and not the customer.
2020 Advance in Crystal Black Pearl on 17's - 08/2020-Current
2015 VW Tiguan (Pure White) - 04/2018-Current
1991 Honda Beat PP1 (Festival Red) - 11/2022-Current
Marmite

Post by Marmite »

Our Tesco (mega store) has EV charging point at far away place, but very easy parking with wide space both sides so I love it.

I have to admit though - I know that my weekly Tesco shopping duration is about 1hour, but say sometimes I know the charging would finish in 20min or so. Then I wonder if I should feel slightly guilty, by occupying the space longer than necessary, knowingly??

When I go to London, I know several Source London charging point available very conveniently placed (no other close parking spaces there!), so I reserve it in advance, park my EV, connect, start charging and leave - knowing it would finish long before I come back. I don't know the rule but so far never caught or challenged.

....Should I be ashamed? :oops:
2020 e Advance : Modern Steel Metallic + blue accent :mrgreen:
bogga

Post by bogga »

If you want to laugh (or sigh) check out this https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.56007 ... 384!8i8192

Can you see any electric vehicles?
londiniumperson

Marmite wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 12:59 pm Our Tesco (mega store) has EV charging point at far away place, but very easy parking with wide space both sides so I love it.

I have to admit though - I know that my weekly Tesco shopping duration is about 1hour, but say sometimes I know the charging would finish in 20min or so. Then I wonder if I should feel slightly guilty, by occupying the space longer than necessary, knowingly??

When I go to London, I know several Source London charging point available very conveniently placed (no other close parking spaces there!), so I reserve it in advance, park my EV, connect, start charging and leave - knowing it would finish long before I come back. I don't know the rule but so far never caught or challenged.

....Should I be ashamed? :oops:
You'll just be paying for even though you won't be able to use the electricity.
I had a look at Source London charging points just the other day because I might need to work within the M25 due to changes at work later this year.

Here's the info:
Will I continue to be billed once my car has finished charging?
Please note that your charging session begins when you connect your vehicle to a Source London charge point and ends once you disconnect your vehicle from the charge point. You will continue to incur session fees if you remain connected to a Source London charge point even if your vehicle has finished charging, in order to encourage customers to disconnect their vehicles once they have sufficiently charged.
Marmite

Post by Marmite »

londiniumperson wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 4:39 pm
You'll just be paying for even though you won't be able to use the electricity.
I had a look at Source London charging points just the other day because I might need to work within the M25 due to changes at work later this year.
Hi londiniumperson

Yes sorry I didn't explain well, unlikely of the free Tesco place, I know I'm paying for the period & for how much, being in central London - which is not too bad compared to private central London parking nearby actually, and it's right in front of my frequent visit - Source London are not allowed for lower charging (7.4?) more then 4hours but other than that it seems they are happy for people to stay??

I'm ethically slightly ashamed to use the space, just because I have EV - or am I entitled, since I'm paying, that was my question/concern - privilege of EV owner - but I would be annoyed if I genuinely need charging there.

I guess once a lot of EV are out and around, new common sense and rules may apply... till then I just play by ears!
londiniumperson

I now understand.
advance2020

Post by advance2020 »

NeedtoCharge

Not sure whether people know of this App and service.
You can use it to notify an EV Owner you would like to charge.
Just enter their Reg and the App notifies them (assuming they have the App).
Of course, it is only useful if lots of EV owners have the App.
I have it, although as yet, never had the NeedtoUse!
Platinum White Pearl: e-driving green at last, on R17 Michelin Pilot Sport
A fan of One Pedal Driving max >>> and physical buttons
rickwookie

Post by rickwookie »

Marmite wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 5:29 pm I'm ethically slightly ashamed to use the space, just because I have EV - or am I entitled, since I'm paying, that was my question/concern - privilege of EV owner - but I would be annoyed if I genuinely need charging there.
You’re definitely entitled to stay, and Source will bill accordingly.
Here was a session I did recently:
Charge #724110 - Kensington and Chelsea/De Vere Gardens (7kW - Zone 1) on 24/02/2021 2:08:56 p.m. - day rate £4.20 / 60mn - 228 mn - exVAT £15.96 incVat £19.15
Compared to nearby “normal” street parking where I paid £7.83 per two hours.
Thing is, it’s swings and roundabouts. £4.20/h is not too much more than £3.92/h, but there’s no VAT on on-street parking, and electricity usually attracts just 5% VAT, yet they clobber you for 20% using Souce! (I can claim VAT back, so not too worried).
The biggest win as far as I was concerned though was that very thing that worried you... I can stay as long as I like! Having to move the car every 2 hours (since that’s the limit in all the “normal” bays) is a massive ball-ache and wastes sooooo much time! If I’d found this source bay earlier I would have stayed for much longer. Leaving for home with 100% SoC was just a bonus tbh.
One more thing about Source though, if they only have a 22 kW charge point available you get clobbered for an eye-watering £11.30/h (inc.VAT) even though you can only take 7kW. That sucks imo.
Marmite

Post by Marmite »

Hi rickwookie, thank you for your input.

OK I shall chin up from now on! EV Charging "and/or" Parking has blur line I guess, apart from motorway's service station charging points (ie. every body charge & go asap).

London NCP parking cost much more than Source even with pass, and some of them are smelly/dark - if it's raining I used to use cab on top of that ( :oops: .. well, mind you some womens shoes are not made to walk more than 3min!!) so, I'm happy to pay for the time & place.

Maybe my pet hate was subconsciously there, ie. I used to curse those people at petrol stations, who fill up petrol, then leave the car & move onto huge grocery shopping inside, whilst there were long queue of cars waiting!!

I actually haven't taken my e to central London yet. Can't wait to do the tight turn like black cabs do :D 8-)