Free “Away” Charging

The place to discuss everything else..
advance2020

Post by advance2020 »

Ok, maybe I’m obsessed, but why not park up where it's free, and take advantage of free charging. This Post is partly prompted by a recent twitter exchange, which commented that 11kW is only a small charge. This got me thinking. That's 45 free miles. A typical Day Out for me, and about the amount of energy I can get for free, several days a week. Ok, I’m lucky, I’m retired and have the time. But surely this means there is a huge opportunity to convert those with “Grey pounds” to adopt BEVs.

There is no shortage of Fast Destination Chargers around me, that are free to use. This is my list. If you have yet to compile your own, I hope this might encourage you. Only 4 in Bold are Rapids that incur a cost to use.

Some may say, surely BP Pulse is not free, there is a Monthly fee? Please don't tell BP. I Signed with PolarPlus that became bp pulse, and got 3 months free and an RFID card. And it is still working. Have an Active Membership, even though I cancelled Direct Debit early Feb.

05774FF5-4A59-4D99-88E5-8F34CED21206.jpeg

Platinum White Pearl: e-driving green at last, on R17 Michelin Pilot Sport
A fan of One Pedal Driving max >>> and physical buttons

londiniumperson

Post by londiniumperson »

Initially I thought, well that's OK for those with a lot of Tesco superstores near them.
Then I had a look on ZapMap for PodPoint chargers in the places that I will be travelling to (other than work) once lock down rules are relaxed and saw that there are now quite a few around, the only issue is that they all require payment for parking in Hampshire and/or are at Superstores that have very little else nearby.
Unless you'd normally pay for parking then there's limited/no financial benefit seeing as this outweighs the gain in free energy.
I'm 'that guy' that will park half a mile away if it means free parking and it's not annoying residents.

I can see your point, however for as me, I don't really fancy sitting in my car for 2.5 hours at a time, 4 to 5 days a week for free charging, I'd rather pay 5p/kWh and have my car charge whilst I'm at home.
2020 Advance in Crystal Black Pearl on 17's - 08/2020-Current
2015 VW Tiguan (Pure White) - 04/2018-Current
1991 Honda Beat PP1 (Festival Red) - 11/2022-Current
ajms0288

Post by ajms0288 »

Great post Advance2020
Blue Advance 17in. Delivered 11th March 2021. Love it. 1900 miles 3.4m/kWh
Kangoo ZE delivered 1st April 2021. No AC, old school but £150/month plus VAT. 2600 miles 3.9m/kWh

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post