Mazda MX-30 spotted in the wild

The place to discuss everything else..
londiniumperson

Post by londiniumperson »

A couple of days ago I saw a Mazda MX-30 in my hometown. I mention this because it has the same motor/battery as the Honda and it's equally as rare (possibly rarer).
2022 Advance in Crystal Black Pearl on 17's - 08/2020-Current
2015 VW Tiguan (Pure White) - 04/2018-Current
1991 Honda Beat PP1 (Festival Red) - 11/2022-Current

Joolsdc

Post by Joolsdc »

Hi Londi

It’s a detuned engine if so - 145PS compared to 154PS in the Advanced
Battery size is the same 35.5kWh. But I can’t see the nett size
Interesting if Honda and Mazda have worked together. I wasn’t aware they had before
milligoon

Post by milligoon »

Mazda reportedly lifted the battery usage and gave a 50% lift in range after one owner complained

https://insideevs.com/news/497499/mazda ... -increase/ watch the video.
Ex e owner
londiniumperson

milligoon wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:16 pm Mazda reportedly lifted the battery usage and gave a 50% lift in range after one owner complained

If that's what you believe then I can only assume that you didn't watch all of it & read his comments from 2 days ago?
Left4Cookies

Post by Left4Cookies »

Here in Copenhagen I’ve seen them a handful of times compared to the measly 3 times I’ve seen another E.

Looking at the Danish car import stats for 2021, there’s also been registered 10 new Mazdas compared to 1 new Honda so I guess that’s expected :).

But I can see why. They’re aiming for the same market I guess but the Mazda has a more “normal” design and looks like a Mazda where the Honda is a different thing which I guess scares off a lot of people when it comes to spending their own money on a car.

I’ve chatted up a Mazda owner at a charger once and got to sit in his for a bit. It’s a nice car but it feels smaller than it is and kind of cramped IMO. And it has the stupid rear doors. Unfortunately didn’t get to drive it but I’d suspect again the Honda feels better as the Mazda is front wheel driven and a little taller.

But it’s a nice looking car!
milligoon

Post by milligoon »

londiniumperson wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 10:37 pm
milligoon wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:16 pm Mazda reportedly lifted the battery usage and gave a 50% lift in range after one owner complained

If that's what you believe then I can only assume that you didn't watch all of it & read his comments from 2 days ago?
Must admit I lost interest after he was going on about the speed limit recognition, he stated it went from 90km range to 214 km range, whether I believe that is neither here or there.

He's had problems with his car takes it to dealer it changes, how that was done hardly matters he believed at the start of the video it had had an effect, how long that effect lasts is another thing altogether.

90km range was pretty low for a new EV especially at the lower Norwegian limits
Ex e owner
iHansz

Post by iHansz »

In the Netherlands the Mazda MX-30 First Edition cost €33.100,- while the Honda e Advance cost €38.630,- (now €39.460,-). This is the reason why 981 Mazda's have already been sold and only 121 Honda's. (They have both the same battery pack from Panasonic.) :cry:
Dutch Advance in Charge Yellow on 17"
1st registered Oct 2020
Home charger: public charging stations only
londiniumperson

Here's a summary for those that haven't watched the video/read the comments on the video:
  • This is about a Mazda MX-30 from an owner from Norway complaining about poor range in the very cold temperatures during January.
  • Car was charged to 100% (then heated the cabin from the battery, not the mains as he explains later in the video, which is a reduction of 6-7km each time), displayed range at 100% (or was this less than 100% with his claim of battery usage to heat the car?) was 147km (92miles) with the heating off & 117km (73miles) with heating on.
  • The owner believes that something was also done to the PCM (Power Control Module) as well as perform the update that he originally took the car in for (error in instrumentation cluster). This showed 217km (136miles) with heating off after a 100% charge overnight.
  • The maximum displayed range has been reducing over the past few weeks by a few km/day to 194km (121 miles) with the heating off and the weather has been improving & getting warmer.
  • In the comments the owner states that since the updates in March the range has dropped from 217km to 174km after he followed advice from someone in Belgium saying to disconnect the 12v battery negative lead for 15 minutes which will reset the computer as it thinks the car will be driven in optimum conditions & he now has 221km of range (That was 1st of April).
It would be fair, taking the information/evidence that the owner has provided that the dealer either reset the PCM, reload the same PCM software or disconnected the 12v battery negative lead for 15 minutes (as the owner did himself after the visit with a very similar result) and this was the reason for the displayed range increase after the visit to the dealer & not that Mazda gave a 50% lift in range as quoted in the post above.
The owner gave no efficiency details or the types/distances of his journeys at all during this video, which is what anyone would use as a basis of battery usage/range, instead he just gave estimated range info from the car's display which any EV owner knows is based on recent usage, therefore it is highly likely that the owners usage patterns is a factor in this value. Anyway in the comments he has confirmed that the car's range has reverted to as it was prior to the dealer visit so this crystallises the fact that all the dealer did was reset the car's system and did not increase the available range at all.

BTW - The owner says that he is an experienced EV owner having owned 4 to date (see the YouTube comments) , however it is blatantly clear that even though he has owned EVs for some time, he has no understanding of them. Just because someone has owned/done something for many years it doesn't mean that have any understanding of a product, let alone be an expert, just look at ICE car owners, the majority of whom don't have a clue about ICE cars.

As an aside and why the video is so long, is that the the owner also complains about rattling within the door, interior heating from battery, climate controls, the speed limit recognition system, the car being too big for a city car and that all new EV's in being Norway are riddled with software issues.
Last edited by londiniumperson on Sat Apr 10, 2021 3:34 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Reuben80

Post by Reuben80 »

It is just his driving style. Mine changes everyday according to the kWh/100km of the previous day. There is no update. He just needs to drive more effecient. My Honda E showed 247km with full charge and the next day showed 210km. The following day goes up again.
londiniumperson

Reuben80 wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 11:24 am It is just his driving style. Mine changes everyday according to the kWh/100km of the previous day. There is no update. He just needs to drive more effecient. My Honda E showed 247km with full charge and the next day showed 210km. The following day goes up again.
Exactly.
Several times states that he only drives the Mazda short distances & that he always preheats it (which is understandable in Norway during winter) with the pre-heating being drawn from the battery, which reduces the range by 6-7km each time & not the wall box even when connected.

Take an example where he pre-heats the car (uses 6km), then drives 6km, then the battery capacity is reduced by the equivalent of 12km which is effectively halving the range, so not surprising that he sees this effect.
He knows that his other EV uses energy from the wall box and not the battery during preheating, but somehow cannot understand the difference :roll:
However he is convinced that the dealer has somehow 'unlocked' additional range :?