Tiny triangles on windscreen of Honda

The place to discuss everything else..
Marmite

Post by Marmite »

IMG_4826 (2).JPG

IMG_4825_LI.jpg

Has anybody ever noticed and/or wondered what they are for (I didn't)? They are on both side of front windscreen. Apparently back in 2010 Honda engineers researched extensively and found that those triangles subconsciously navigate and stabilize driver's gaze movement on the curbs and make everybody safe! :!: :?: :idea: :geek:

My friend just got Honda's family box wagon in Japan and was heavily lectured about it by sales person, so she asked me to check if exported Honda has them or not. Yes my e has them as above!!

Now everybody here feels much safer, I'm sure.... :lol:
2020 e Advance : Modern Steel Metallic + blue accent :mrgreen:

rickwookie

Post by rickwookie »

I feel 100% safer with that knowledge now.
RAL7004

Post by RAL7004 »

Marmite wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 1:27 pm Apparently back in 2010 Honda engineers researched extensively and found that those triangles subconsciously navigate and stabilize driver's gaze movement on the curbs and make everybody safe! :!: :?: :idea: :geek:
That is interesting!
Do you have more information on this? Does it go in a similar direction as/is it related to shisa kanko (指差喚呼)?
sbullo

Post by sbullo »

So does that mean the sun visor is a safety hazard? :-p
Adv. 16" Wheels
Marmite

Post by Marmite »

rickwookie wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 11:39 am I feel 100% safer with that knowledge now.
:lol: And didn't think about sun visor - it may not cover it though ... 8-)

Not 指差 as such as pointing and looking/reminding, it's supposed to be unnoticed but working, Honda has world wide patent apparently.

I found some American article "The triangles, about a quarter-inch tall, are about halfway up on the far right and left of the windshield, right above the driver’s line of sight and pointing toward the center. [...] Markings on the windshield subconsciously direct drivers to keep their eyes on the road. [...] When the triangles were placed on the windshield, drivers’ eyes went side to side more than up and down, which allowed for more precision when turning. The feature helped drivers maintain stability, even in the tightest turns."

Well, having said the above I'm just a messenger, so please don't shoot me if you scratch your e on the narrow road or corner!
2020 e Advance : Modern Steel Metallic + blue accent :mrgreen:
SuperRocket61

Post by SuperRocket61 »

I feel some of that research money should have been spent on the Lane Keeping Assistance System which repeatedly fails to identify the road verges and warns me that I am leaving the lane and tries to shake me awake.

Maybe the software just needs the addition of some little triangles.
ZoeDave

Post by ZoeDave »

Very interesting - the sort of thing you could own a car for a decade and still never notice.

My guesses would have been either something to do with the robots at the factory aligning everything or a marker to get the right eye-level, a bit like they do in the cockpit of airplanes.
nostraduckus

Post by nostraduckus »

Went for a test drive today and noticed vertical squiggly lines running down the windscreen, I think they are the same ones you can see in your first picture, the close up of the triangle.

What are the lines, for heating the windscreen? Was very distracting at first but I eventually got used to it.
Nebrog23

Post by Nebrog23 »

Yes they are the heated windscreen wires. They are a little distracting, especially at night but you get used to them. I find the A/C very weak and it takes a while to demist the car so the heated windscreen very useful.
milligoon

Post by milligoon »

The Morgan Roadster I had, had a heated windscreen, just as well it did there were no blowers onto the screen, it had A/C which could keep your toes cool in the summer - it needed it as the engine used to kick out some heat, it's a bit daft but with all the battery saving I do on the Honda, my Morgan in the middle of winter was a warmer place to be even with the top down!
Ex e owner

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post