Air source heat pumps for home heating

The place to discuss everything else..
Joolsdc

Post by Joolsdc »

In the off topic section…..as it’s very off Honda e topic.

I’m sure most of us purchased our e’s to do the right thing, reduce CO2 emissions. And because the e is a fabulous car. We’ve continued to reduce our CO2 by replacing our oil boiler with a Daikin ASHP. Only happened last week, so very early days. Also a smart hot water tank from Mixergy. In the UK (England?) this has been 75% funded by the renewable heat incentive (RHI).
Photos of the external and internal (garage) units. Well worth investigating if you are off mains gas. And I’m sure this is not news to our European forum members.
Any questions, please ask.

CFFC0D1C-F58B-494E-8399-FDD975465FC0.jpeg

EB03C0BB-56D8-4AEF-8A30-7AA93A43789D.jpeg

bogga

Post by bogga »

Good for you. Did the installers ask what the space and cost requirements were for a ground source heat pump?
MartinC

Post by MartinC »

We started to go down this route last year. The same company that installed out solar panels came to give us an estimate for installing a heat pump. The heat pump system works at a lower maximum temperature (60°C) than typical gas heating and so he did a quick calculation and said we would almost certainly need to replace all our existing radiators with larger ones to provide the same level of central heating. That would have put the cost for our house way over the grants available - even if we could actually get them; there are reports that many installers are having difficulty claiming the RHI and it's a bit of a bureaucratic nightmare.
londiniumperson

Post by londiniumperson »

Am I right in thinking that the government grants in respect of heat pumps has now been scrapped due to their belief that there was a low up take when in all reality the issue was the lack of registered installers and the bureaucracy that they had to endure to claim the money back which they can only claim for once the owner has signed to say that the installation has been completed (so they have to have enough cash flow to cover this, whilst they wait many months for the grant money to arrive)?
2022 Advance in Crystal Black Pearl on 17's - 08/2020-Current
2015 VW Tiguan (Pure White) - 04/2018-Current
1991 Honda Beat PP1 (Festival Red) - 11/2022-Current
Joolsdc

Post by Joolsdc »

One of the things Mrs Julian said was she wasn’t having any radiators removed, new pipes added or underfloor. I probably talked to 10 ASHP installers and most wanted to follow the new pipe and radiator route. But this Daikin model is a high temperature and with the correct design - buffer tank between the ASHP flow and the radiator flow, then I was convinced it would work. We have 10mm pipes to each of the radiators, but 28mm and 35mm pipe in the loft - like the network backbone. So this allows a good flow. Only 5 radiators were estimated to be undersized for the heat loss calculation. And they were in bedrooms, so we are hoping they will be ok.
I didn’t investigate ground source as I felt it costs more, with more distribution. Higher cost. But you do get a higher grant.
The Green Home Grant us the one that has stopped. The Renewable Heat Incentive (RHI) is still continuing. This pays back over 7 years.
Joolsdc

Post by Joolsdc »

Sorry - and it was VERY easy to claim the RHI. On line. Simple form. A couple of “gotchas” which were explained by my installer. Took less than 1/2hr with the correct data.
ChesterUK

Post by ChesterUK »

I'm very interested to hear how you get on in winter with this system. I've been considering disconnecting our gas supply, moving standing charges across as units of electricity, but I would still expect to pay a little more to heat our tiny home. I was looking at a Sun Amp battery because we are so limited on space here. Some quick research found this would be a >£10K project so decided to leave this for now.

Still, an HT pump is the way we would go so very interested to learn how this works for you in the real world.
steveal

Post by steveal »

Great topic!

Can you comment on the noise from the outside unit (would be under our neighbour's kitchen window - separated by 20 ft or so)?
Joolsdc

Post by Joolsdc »

Steveal

The Daikin Altherma 3H HT is supposed to be a quiet unit. I will try and use by Decibel meter from my iPhone. The external unit is noisier in front of the fan, compared to from the side - as you’d expect.
A neighbour has an 8 year old Mitsubishi Ecodan ASHP and the Daikin is much quieter.
But I would describe it as a low hum.
The air exiting the fan is extremely cold - as you might expect. But still surprised me.
Joolsdc

Post by Joolsdc »

I am now a “YouTube star” take 2

Ecobubl are our installers. Middle section gets a bit technical with water flow and wiring diagrams.
I’m muttering at the end. Please like, subscribe and share as all the influencers say 😂

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post