EV charger box grant in England for the 2nd time!?

The place to discuss everything else..
Marmite

Post by Marmite »

OK so please read below, exact what Government says on website.

---------------------------
Grant eligibility

Customer requirements
A customer will qualify if they have a qualifying vehicle and property as detailed below.

A customer is not permitted to claim for a grant if they have previously claimed against the scheme (or its predecessor, the Domestic Recharge Scheme) unless they own 2 eligible electric vehicles concurrently in which case a second chargepoint grant can be claimed. This includes if they:

* have previously claimed against the Domestic Recharge Scheme
* move property
* purchase a new chargepoint, even if it is for a new car that is not compatible with the old one
* update an old chargepoint to a new one
* want to claim against the cost of moving an existing chargepoint to a new property
* If a customer is moving to a new house with an old chargepoint and they wish to replace it, they would be eligible for the grant (providing that customer has not previously claimed against the scheme and all other requirements are met).

OZEV cannot provide bespoke advice on eligibility. Customers should consult with an approved EVHS installer regarding their individual circumstances and if they qualify.
----------------------------

We had claimed first grant with my previous EV all right, then I had changed my EV to Honda e in Feb2021, plus hubby got Mini plug-in hybrid autumn 2020 which itself eligible for EV charger grant so we have 2 EV.

We haven't moved house but we just wanted to have updated charge box to new (Andersen) one. Don't you think no problem right? Big NO apparently. Just because I don't have originally claimed EV any longer we are not eligible - so the installer says (apparently there is additional document which is available only to eligible installers) :shock: .

The above Government's English is not very well written imo to start with (though I'm not mother tongue) with double denial which I hate, but thinking if I still own my previous EV we could claim but now we can't, I would like to simply say WHY!???

At the end of the day yes we had £500 3years ago, so we shall still go ahead but somewhere I feel a bit cheated - that's why I wanted to rant here - thanks for reading :P
2020 e Advance : Modern Steel Metallic + blue accent :mrgreen:

rickwookie

Post by rickwookie »

From what I make of it, if you have two EVs at the time of application, you can claim your second grant. As I understand it, you claimed a second grant to already for the Andersen A2, right? If so, then to claim again would be a third grant, but you don’t have three EVs (concurrently). Not sure a third grant is claimable in any case, since it’s not mentioned.
Marmite

Post by Marmite »

rickwookie wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 3:23 pm From what I make of it, if you have two EVs at the time of application, you can claim your second grant. As I understand it, you claimed a second grant to already for the Andersen A2, right? If so, then to claim again would be a third grant, but you don’t have three EVs (concurrently). Not sure a third grant is claimable in any case, since it’s not mentioned.
No we haven't had Andersen A2 yet, just paid up 2days ago and just waiting next step... but then supplier came back & told us the grant not eligible so please pay £350 additionally, that's where this started.

Come on we are not that greedy for the third time lucky! :D
ZoeDave

Post by ZoeDave »

I agree that it's completely confusing and poorly written.

My understanding is that the problem you have is that replacing the one charge point with another is not allowed, even if you have two EVs.

Now, what it does not seem to prohibit is getting a second charger if you keep the first. And, more importantly, it doesn't even say that the first needs to be working, or stay in place after the second is installed. So if you have enough room to install a second point, you could remove the first 5 minutes later, or decommission it and put up a plaque in tribute to its service in decarbonising the planet!

D
milligoon

Post by milligoon »

I am confused, this sounds like you can't claim because you don't have the original car you first had the current charger fitted for, if that is the case it makes absolutely no sense whatsoever?
Ex e owner
Marmite

Post by Marmite »

Glad to have fellow confused people :geek: believe me we re-read that statement 100 times from different angle & had lengthy conversation with the supplier (who was very helpful but they don't want jeopardize their licence obviously).

It seems to us that, when the first grant approved & recorded into system, "property address & car reg number" are deeply set in stone like a marriage certificate without divorce clause and their system built around it without much imagination of 'what if in the future' scenarios.

Once 'COMPUTER SAYS NO' nobody wants to step back and think again. Sounds familiar?

If I'm a billionaire and nothing else to do, I may have fun taking Government to court with expensive lawyers but sadly I'm not :lol:
ZoeDave

Post by ZoeDave »

There is absolutely nothing in the text saying that the grant is tied to a certain vehicle or number plate, so if that is the case they really need to add that information.

The only thing I can see is that if you are trying to upgrade the charger, that is not allowed. But if it is acceptable to have a second point installed, even if you only end up using the new one, that should be fine. I would ask the installer to view the application as for a second point for a second EV, and if they don't want to entertain the idea, consider using another installer.
keithr

Post by keithr »

Is the Mini plug-in hybrid an eligible electric vehicle for the grant? If so then you should be able to claim the grant for a second charge point. Otherwise, if you only have one eligible vehicle then you can't claim again.

To be eligible the Mini would need to fit one of the following categories:

Category 1 vehicles have CO2 emissions of less than 50g/km and can travel at least 112km (70 miles) without any emissions at all.
Category 2 vehicles have CO2 emissions of less than 50g/km and can travel at least 16km (10 miles) without any emissions at all.
Category 3 vehicles have CO2 emissions of 50 to 75g/km and can travel at least 32km (20 miles) without any emissions at all.

I don't know why category 1 exists because all category 1 cars will also be category 2 cars!

Edit: Sorry my mistake! I didn't spot you saying that the Mini is "itself eligible for EV charger grant".
Marmite

Post by Marmite »

Thank you for input @ ZoeDave & keithr (yes Mini is eligible but hubby can't pretend to have his own box at the same address for a grant)

We totally agree, only after we gave my e's & mini's reg numbers the matter got into nose dive. My e's number wasn't recognised as first grant address/reg record, so we were asked for previous EV reg number + to prove I still own it - well I bl :evil: dy don't! We went back to several suppliers re-explaining the situation but didn't go anywhere, many were not much interested even.

As for 'update' definition, our current Ensto charger still works perfectly fine though we swapped cable, Mini use type2 charger so no 'need' to change anything. Andersen has much neater & smart design, and lockable whilst away - that was the only reason, apart from having cancelled holiday refunds!

I'm kind of interested that what will happen when new owner of my previous EV try to have home charge point. It may 'unlock' my situation? :idea: Probably not - I shall never know.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post