Flood and EV and/or Honda e

The place to discuss everything else..
Marmite

Post by Marmite »

I escaped from huge rainfall & flooding twice now. Previous time was near Ealing last month, yesterday was scary in East London.

My (poor) general knowledge is, EV is no difference from ICE cars, no more dangerous because the battery back is seal off perfectly (so I won't electrocute entire population around me) - if you are trapped in deep water, window/door problem would be the same as ICE cars (ie. I do have hammer in the compartment). Just passing through big puddle on the road won't cause any problem - right?

So, anything else particular I need to know of my 'e', due to Honda e design???

I'm expecting no answer really :) , then let this thread sink down happily - but if anything I need to know then let me know. It seems I have rain gathering power wherever I go...
Last edited by Marmite on Tue Jul 27, 2021 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2020 e Advance : Modern Steel Metallic + blue accent :mrgreen:

ZoeDave

Post by ZoeDave »

I don't have the specifics on the e, but from what I've heard the problems mainly come from water coming in where air normally does. On ICE cars I've head of some nice new ones being written off after driving through fairly low puddles and sucking water into the engine intake. On my Zoe I know that the battery is air cooled, with intakes somewhere under the rear seats, so if the water reaches that level the battery is probably toast. I know that the e is liquid cooled so it may be better, but don't know where there might be other vulnerabilities.

I suspect that EVs are probably a little better as there is no engine and the heavy battery down low might make it a little harder to float (wouldn't want to try though!). But if the carpets get soaked with foul water it might well write off the car anyhow.

I'd also love to know others thoughts, either for the e or in general, just to file away in my head in case the worst did happen.
rickwookie

Post by rickwookie »

East London was indeed scary. My parents house in Walthamstow got flooded downstairs. 45 years they’ve lived there and never once has the water risen so high to come in the house.

Anyway, I reckon you’re much safer in an EV (in terms of being able to continue driving out of deep water). As mentioned, as soon a water gets into the air-intake on an ICE, it’s game over for the engine. It gets
“Hydrolocked” because basically you can’t compress water, so the pistons in the engine have nowhere to go and you end up with bent connecting rods instead. It’s a full engine rebuild or replacement before the car is going anywhere again.

I would hope that the electric motors in an EV are well sealed against water ingress. I might be wrong though!
keithr

Post by keithr »

Marmite wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 3:36 pm Just passing through big puddle on the road won't cause any problem - right?
Yes, it should be okay. You might find this video interesting (it's in Japanese!) of the original Nissan LEAF going through water testing:

Nissan LEAF Water Testing

Also see Is Driving An Electric Car Through Flood Water Safe?. It includes an amusing quote by Elon Musk - "We *def* don't recommended this, but Model S floats well enough to turn it into a boat for short periods of time. Thrust via wheel rotation"
Marmite

Post by Marmite »

ZoeDave, thanks for your input! Oh yes we don't have exhaust pipe, I remember now...

rickwookie, hope your parents are feeling OK and house recovery plan will be on the way soon. I was leaving Stratford Westfield... should have gone to White city!! Anyway good to know you think we are safe(-ish).

keithr, many thanks for the links, very interesting - I would never go into 70cm water knowingly but it is reassuring, and 25cm should cover normal puddle. However if anybody manage to 'float' e, I would love to know how it went... :shock:

Gap insurance seems more precious than ever these days, with such unpredictable weather all over the place!!!
2020 e Advance : Modern Steel Metallic + blue accent :mrgreen:

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post