Honda: Insight, Foresight and then loose heart

The place to discuss everything else..
advance2020

Post by advance2020 »

It seems Honda is excellent when it comes to innovation, but not perhaps marketing.
They have the capability to develop great cars that are ahead of their time. But they don't seem to have the commercial acumen, or perhaps a big enough budget, to promote them to the masses.
Take the original Honda Insight. You could be forgiven for not knowing the car I refer to. It never achieved high volume sales. It was a hybrid that was way ahead of its time. A highly efficient eco machine. Lightweight aluminium body that is still sort after by enthusiasts today. Too radical in its design to have mass market appeal? And perhaps our beloved Honda e will follow the same fate.
Honda's decision to stop building cars in Europe and focus on the Japanese and US markets implies they have given up the fight. Perhaps the European market is too crowded. And yet Hyundai and Kia are penetrating it well. And Toyota and Nissan are firmly established. Closing their Swindon plant is a blow to the UK. Clearly Brexit is a factor, although they deny it.
And now we see Honda pushing their "self-charging hybrids' much to the scorn of many via twitter. Unlike VW and other who see BEVs as their future, Honda seem to be desperately clinging to what they can sell now to make money. Gone is any Vision for their Future Car that dreams are made of. Maybe motorbikes and Lawn mowers are their Cash Cows.
It seems a shame, but history often repeats itself.

https://www.nytimes.com/2006/08/27/auto ... HONDA.html

Honda Insight.jpg

Platinum White Pearl: e-driving green at last, on R17 Michelin Pilot Sport
A fan of One Pedal Driving max >>> and physical buttons

tim.uk

Post by tim.uk »

Ah, the Insight. I had two of those (not simultaneously!).
advance2020

Post by advance2020 »

tim.uk wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 7:43 am Ah, the Insight. I had two of those (not simultaneously!).
tell us more ....
Marmite

Post by Marmite »

I agree, Honda's marketing & sales strategy seems all over the place, not coping with each country demands/taste difference out of Japan - whilst there are so many people believing Honda on the globe, I sincerely hope it will find the balance and synergy effect somewhere.

The general opinion Insight vs Toyota Prius in Japan, Honda Insight hybrid is great upon test drive everybody agree as better than Prius, a lot of professional reviewer loves Insight's performance, but price is much higher for Honda Insight with much less advertisement - as the fact, Prius's sales is about 12times of Honda Insight. Name value & phycological effect can be made via marketing & aimed advertising but it's not done by Honda, experts say.

I love my 'e', do I want to see more of 'e' on the road because I love it - perhaps - I waved at blue 'e' at Tesco roundabout the other day, that was the FIRST time I ever saw other, after owning 'e' 6months. On the other hand if 'e' becomes rare species I don't mind, in any case I will think about pro/con at the end of three year PCP.
2020 e Advance : Modern Steel Metallic + blue accent :mrgreen:
advance2020

Post by advance2020 »

Thanks Marmite. Good to have feedback of Insight v. Prius in Japan. Looks like history is repeating itself. High price, great car, but very poor marketing effort.
tim.uk

Post by tim.uk »

advance2020 wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 12:47 pm
tim.uk wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 7:43 am Ah, the Insight. I had two of those (not simultaneously!).
tell us more ....
Nothing to tell, really. I just thought it—as a hybrid—was the way to go at the time. It wasn't a standout car in terms of performance, etc. But it was economical.
I'm not sure the dealer sold any Insights to anyone else!

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post