To "e" or not to "e' - that is the Question

The place to discuss everything else..
advance2020

Post by advance2020 »

So, if Honda had never designed and launched the Honda e what would you be driving today? That is the question.
I know my answer, but for the sake of discussion here, let's explore some options

Mini e - probably it's nearest competitor, certainly on paper, based on size, performance etc. But a converted ICE car, not a true BEV. And although they have upgraded its looks, when it first launched it was clearly re-badged to make it look like an EV - or a Design Students poor attempt. Oh dear no, I wasn't going to opening my wallet for that. Couldn't even bring myself to arrange a Test Drive. I had had a Mini Cooper, which I used to drive 45 miles each way to Bridport for Contract work, until it blew a head gasket. Duncan at my local garage said "Why did you buy that" (heap of sh*t) So no, not going there.

BMW i3 - another contender. Not a cheap option, even second-hand. But to me it's a bit weird. Huge eco wheels, suicide rear doors, looks high and big for a small car. And the interior is cluttered in comparison to the "e"
So I was never tempted to fork out for one of these. Have owned many Germany built cars, but never owned a BMW. Why start now?

Renault Zoe - the sensible option. Possibly great value for money. Could have bought an older, used one. What about the battery life, poor range, lack of power. The new one looks better, but still boring. So another No.

FIAT 500e - a late comer, but now a serious competitor. Similar in size and performance, better range. Possibly fun to drive, but inside it's still 500 size, which is not roomy. And the ergonomics of driving don't look good. That row of buttons. I love that the "e" has a centre console, where my hand thinks the gear shift and handbrake are. That's the natural set up.

VW ID3 - this wasn't even about when I ordered my e, but it's not cheap and bigger than I need. Don't like the stalk control for Drive etc. Probably a great car for many, but not me.

Corsa e - a possible option. Probably "good value' or a cheaper option. But I had an Astra as a Company Car once. Great to drive, but built to a price. Not a premium car. Little, if any, pride in owning one.

There are probably more we could think of. But none that are DESIRABLE. I love cars, and there has to be a PASSION to justify the expense. They always cost you more than you think.
And having owned some amazing cars over the years, Morgan, Elan, Audi TT, S2000 compromising and settling for a sensible option, is not what life it about for me.

My previous car was a Toyota iQ VVT-i 1.33 - you may laugh. It looks strange, but it is much bigger inside than you might think. It is also a relatively light car, and with a 100bhp and a 6 speed box you could either drive it very economically or drop down a gear or two and drive it hard. It was wide, stable and fun to drive. Smart entry. Aero-dynamically efficient. Cheap road tax £30 per annum, and cheap to run. And big enough for me, and the wife, when required.

So yes, if Honda had never made the "e" I would still be driving my little Toyota iQ. I would have a more funds in my Bank and have £200 per month more to spend or save. But I don't regret my Love Affair with the "e".
Platinum White Pearl: e-driving green at last, on R17 Michelin Pilot Sport
A fan of One Pedal Driving max >>> and physical buttons

Reuben80

Post by Reuben80 »

Me the Ioniq 38kWh one
Marmite

Post by Marmite »

I went through all those of your list (apart from Fiat, it was coming out after I purchased my e). For me, it's mainly design & brand image - I did test drive several but I didn't like them, then I found eeeeeeee :D

I had been Smart car lover for many years and switched to EQ (their fully EV version) immediately when it's comes out, waited 9months after launch :roll:

IMG_4576.JPG

I loved it apart from short range & rubbish app (sounds familiar? well it's better now at last with e!). If 'e' wasn't out there I think I would be still driving my Smart EQ. It is cute pod, just like your IQ - for retired woman for only occasional outing/shopping. No parking skill required.

I love my e very much now, colour wise grey/red became grey/blue that's all, as far as I'm concerned.
2020 e Advance : Modern Steel Metallic + blue accent :mrgreen:
milligoon

Post by milligoon »

I'd probably not be driving an EV. I'd be playing the wait and test drive and can I afford it game, yes even a Tesla didn't do it for me.

There was something about the Honda that made me pull the trigger.

I like cars that have character practicality doesn't tend to rule the roost.

I've sold our XC60 as I wasn't using it, I still have the smart roadster although haven't driven it since it's MOT, prior to the XC60 I had a GT86 and a Morgan V6 Roadster.

If I was looking at practicality now I'd be looking at the Enyaq, the ioniq 5, or Kia ev6, still secretly hoping the ID Buzz lives up to its initial promises but the mule sneaks are looking disappointing so far.

I keep mulling over decisions I have no loans so could if pushed to it retire, but if I took on another EV for the family right now would have to commit to financing it, as it stands while still working I am looking at saving and seeing what's available in 2-3 years time (if I can be sensible and listen to my head that is)

So I am lucky to have the Honda even with its limitations the things I can't quite put my finger on made it the choice for me.
Ex e owner
Joolsdc

Post by Joolsdc »

Mini E
I like the look of the Fiat e500, but our nearest Fiat dealership is a stupid distance away

Follow up Ioniq 5 Project 45 to replace my wife’s Mini Countyman PHEV
iHansz

Post by iHansz »

Think it would have been the MINI.
Dutch Advance in Charge Yellow on 17"
1st registered Oct 2020
Home charger: public charging stations only
ZoeDave

Post by ZoeDave »

Probably the mini for me too, even though I've removed it from my list for much the same reasons listed and the fact that they have removed the Harmon-Kardon stereo for the foreseeable future.

I really liked the iQ when I had a test drive in one, about 10 years ago. I have no regrets about the two Toyotas I've owned, but the iQ was a definite step up in quality. The one thing that put me off was that some marketing manager somewhere decided that it had to have 4 seats. I can't imagine that they were very useful and deleted the entire boot. Though I didn't look into if there were any creative solutions to fold down the seats and somehow make an enclosed cargo area.

I'll throw a curveball in and say the Mazda MX-30. Definitely flawed in that it is a sort of reverse-Tardis, with it being far less practical than the size and shape suggests. However, the quality is just great with excellent tech and a lovely interior, for about the same price and range as the e. I guess the fact that I am cross-shopping those two cars highlights the dilemma that advance2020 is talking about.

P.S. Love the Smart, it's such a shame that they seem to be allowing the brand to fade away. If the current fortwo had a 30kWh pack and CCS, I'd have bought one as soon as it was announced.
milligoon

Post by milligoon »

I test drove the Mini the day before I test drove the Honda.

Smart are bringing out another EV soon but it won't be recognised as a traditional smart to those that know them.
Ex e owner
FDAD

Post by FDAD »

milligoon wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 12:25 am I test drove the Mini the day before I test drove the Honda.

Smart are bringing out another EV soon but it won't be recognised as a traditional smart to those that know them.
Another SUV to fill parking spaces..
Honda E advance [Modern Steel Metallic] 8-) [DELIVERED JULY 2020] - 85 000Kms + ✌️🎂
Highanddry

Post by Highanddry »

I would have bought another ICEV!

To drive a production car from a prototype / the looks / the innovations / build quality / great handling / low weight / practicality / storage space after one hand folding of backseat did it for me.

I test drove a few EVs but did not find this anywhere else.
That said i have something against cars with the main dash in the middle, I like it "rally-style" in the view of the driver ideally with a heads-up display.
Also think that most cars are just too boring to own and that includes some EVs too.

I am running it a second car but main driver and I am still on the outlook for the replacement of the old high km X5...

It is the first time I am owning a Honda and think the engineers got this absolutely right.
But wondering how the management let them!

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post