IONIQ 5

The place to discuss everything else..
iHansz

Post by iHansz »

The dealer is also a Hyundai dealer (otherwise he would already be bankrupt) and because I had to be there for a tyre repair, I was able to take a closer look at the new IONIQ 5. I don't think it's as beautiful in real life as it was on the press photos. But if only Honda would have a car like that. The Honda e remains my favorite… 🥰

B1471137-3DCE-4E8B-AFB8-D005FC9DFDB1.jpeg

11D4798B-263D-43E7-A233-EA7CE285AEB0.jpeg

Dutch Advance in Charge Yellow on 17"
1st registered Oct 2020
Home charger: public charging stations only

londiniumperson

Post by londiniumperson »

I really like the look of the IONIQ 5, it's got a similar look to the Honda with the wide front & rear arches and also proportionally. From those angles, if you squint it looks like a bigger version of the Honda.
I saw it in person at the 2021 Goodwood Festival of Speed and it's quite a big car, especially compared the the Honda.
2022 Advance in Crystal Black Pearl on 17's - 08/2020-Current
2015 VW Tiguan (Pure White) - 04/2018-Current
1991 Honda Beat PP1 (Festival Red) - 11/2022-Current
iHansz

Post by iHansz »

I like the basic line of the car, big brother of the e, but I don't like all that (light grey) plastic around the wheel arches or under the bumper (f & r). A bit too much bling, bling in my eyes.
Dutch Advance in Charge Yellow on 17"
1st registered Oct 2020
Home charger: public charging stations only
kbjpick

Post by kbjpick »

Per suggestion from Londiniumperson - as an 18 month Honda 'e'' owner and having recently acquired an Ioniq 5 AWD + Tech pack (no Heat pack). I offer some initial observations. Does it feel a c£50K car - Yes! I test drove an iPace, Volvo P8, ID4, Enyaq and aTesla Model 3 LR prior to selecting the I5. From order to delivery was 1 day less than 6 months. Confusion was evident on delivery communications and between dealership and Hyundai corporate. Car was delivered with out of date software, i.e. delivered 12/2/22 but software identified as Aug 2021. Compared to Honda -it is BIG! Transition to I5 facilitated by being an EV owner. Voice commands are similarly flaky on both cars - may be Yorkshire accent? Honda still choice for local shopping etc and range still covers >95% of requirements. Have home charging so I5 speed-of-charge capability has not yet been tested. Any 'e' owners needing more subjective observations - please ask
londiniumperson

Thanks kbjpick

Out of those listed I’d also most likely choose the Ioniq, though a Tesla with the Supercharger network would be a difficult to turn down. I just can’t get over the awful look of the Tesla from the front with the conically tall windscreen and low bonnet line allowing people to almost see your waist from the outside :o
FMIB

Post by FMIB »

I can understand why the Ioniq 5 is popular, but a £50k car and no rear wash wipe is a deal breaker for me.

Must admit I recently changed my second car from something a bit quick to something not as quick, a bit bigger and perhaps more reflective of my age!

However, whilst I am very happy with my Honda e and really enjoy driving it, it is used purely as a city car and only ever charged at home, I could not bring myself to buy a second bigger EV at this time as I am simply not prepared to extend any long distance travel times by having to stop or go out of my way to find a fast charger, especially with the current somewhat limited public charging infrastructure.
londiniumperson

FMIB wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 5:41 pm I can understand why the Ioniq 5 is popular, but a £50k car and no rear wash wipe is a deal breaker for me.

Must admit I recently changed my second car from something a bit quick to something not as quick, a bit bigger and perhaps more reflective of my age!

However, whilst I am very happy with my Honda e and really enjoy driving it, it is used purely as a city car and only ever charged at home, I could not bring myself to buy a second bigger EV at this time as I am simply not prepared to extend any long distance travel times by having to stop or go out of my way to find a fast charger, especially with the current somewhat limited public charging infrastructure.
I also think that buying a EV as an only or main car will not be very common for a couple of years, our family car is an ICE vehicle for the same reasons as you've stated and who has a spare £50k? Where we regularly drive to on holiday there are very few rapid chargers on the route(s) and every time (other than at midnight) there have always been queues at the chargers.

As for the lack of rear wiper, I like that :lol: everyone in my family complains that I don't use the rear wash/wipe on cars, however I can see enough through it no matter how wet/dirty it is and use the door mirrors anyway. How do you think van/lorry drivers cope.
FDAD

Post by FDAD »

I think buying a second car EV or not it not very environmentally friendly I use my E as a complete replacement for my previous ICE car. Last month the most Kms travelled was 800kms +- in a single day....
Honda E advance [Modern Steel Metallic] 8-) [DELIVERED JULY 2020] - 85 000Kms + ✌️🎂
londiniumperson

I’ve just checked the route using ABRP and using the Honda it would take us 6hr 57 mins compared to 4hrs 38 mins using the ICE car. Significantly longer.
This all assumes that all of the chargers are operational because if any of them isn’t it’ll probably mean a very long extended stop at a 7kW with so few rapids available. None of us in the car will be impressed with what would normally be less than 5 hrs ending up as an over 10 hr trip, or even longer if more than 1 of them is in use or faulty.
In the past I’ve had to do this many times as a return trip in a single day, which is not a realistic option with the Honda or any low range EV.

There are other reasons, namely the lack of passenger and boot space, no car charging at the accommodation with the nearest rapid 8 miles / 17 mins from the accommodation and very few anywhere we planned to go.

Replacing the use of ICE by EVs in the world will have negligible effect on the worldwide global pollution.

Driving 800+ km in a single day in any vehicle let alone an EV is not very environmentally friendly.
FMIB

Post by FMIB »

londiniumperson wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 9:08 pm I’ve just checked the route using ABRP and using the Honda it would take us 6hr 57 mins compared to 4hrs 38 mins using the ICE car. Significantly longer.
This all assumes that all of the chargers are operational because if any of them isn’t it’ll probably mean a very long extended stop at a 7kW with so few rapids available. None of us in the car will be impressed with what would normally be less than 5 hrs ending up as an over 10 hr trip, or even longer if more than 1 of them is in use or faulty.
In the past I’ve had to do this many times as a return trip in a single day, which is not a realistic option with the Honda or any low range EV.

There are other reasons, namely the lack of passenger and boot space, no car charging at the accommodation with the nearest rapid 8 miles / 17 mins from the accommodation and very few anywhere we planned to go.

Replacing the use of ICE by EVs in the world will have negligible effect on the worldwide global pollution.

Driving 800+ km in a single day in any vehicle let alone an EV is not very environmentally friendly.
Exactly that.
Maybe in 5 years time things will be different. My new ICE, running in and driven gently between 60-70mph shows a range of over 700 miles. So I will do my bit to keep pollution levels down around town/populated areas with the Honda e, but life is short and I cant spend endless hours charing, waiting for chargers to become free or finding working chargers.