Osprey Chargers - Grrr

The place to discuss everything else..
londiniumperson

Post by londiniumperson »

I've just had the misfortune of using an Osprey charger at Hawker Siddeley Way, Andover, SP11 8BF.
It wasn't the best experience.

Being a DC CCS rapid noob, I wasn't aware that only one car can charge at a time even though it had both CCS & Chadamo with 3 spaces for 2 units. There's no information on the display to advise of this nor any information on the status during charging.

Anyway once one of the 2 units was free (a Nissan Leaf owner) returned from the adjacent pub and decided after 5 minutes of checking, he declared that he would unplug because he couldn't get anymore than 96% charge no matter how long he waited :roll:

The Osprey app failed to work, possibly due to no mobile signal, so I had to use contactless to pay, which means other than taking a photo of the charge unit I had no way to work out how much power my car had consumed.
2022 Advance in Crystal Black Pearl on 17's - 08/2020-Current
2015 VW Tiguan (Pure White) - 04/2018-Current
1991 Honda Beat PP1 (Festival Red) - 11/2022-Current

Marmite

Post by Marmite »

So sorry to read this - at least was the actual charge amount on your card correct??
2020 e Advance : Modern Steel Metallic + blue accent :mrgreen:
londiniumperson

Post by londiniumperson »

Yes, but annoyingly there was no cost displayed, only the usage as I ended the session. I used 16.18kWh @ 40p a unit, so £6.47 (plus 0.2p), but it looks they round up so was charged £6.48. However it gets more annoying because there's an initial charge of £5 on each connection, then an additional fee.if more used (I'm assuming that a refund is due if less than £5 is consumed) so there was a second charge of £1.48

In think that I'll avoid these Osprey chargers at all costs in the future.

I should have made a slight detour to an InstaVolt at Solstice Park, but wanted to take a more efficient route to Corsham via A342 via Ludgershall/Upavon because the hotel didn't have any charging facilities and there are very few rapids in the Bath area as a backup if I couldn't find a working fast charger in Bath itself whilst we were there.

In the end I managed to get a full charge by the time we left Bath which was enough to get back to the hotel and then back home via Stockbridge the next day without needing a top-up.

If you're wondering why I stopped on the way to Corsham, it was because that day I'd been to Fully Charged Live in Farnborough (via Odiham to drop off my daughter) and didn't have time to fully charge after returning home before we had to leave in the after afternoon to not only drop one of my son's off at the local train station, but also to get to the hotel in time for our pre booked evening meal.
2022 Advance in Crystal Black Pearl on 17's - 08/2020-Current
2015 VW Tiguan (Pure White) - 04/2018-Current
1991 Honda Beat PP1 (Festival Red) - 11/2022-Current