Honda to provide own brand home chargers

Faults and Technical chat for the Honda E
Rob
Site Admin

Post by Rob »

Honda is offering its own branded home wall chargers, and installing chargers in lampposts for on-street charging.

No further details have been released yet, other than a couple of picutres:

street charger.JPG

home charger.JPG

DaveD62

Post by DaveD62 »

You can have this installed in your home? This is interesting. I was under the impression that you had to always charge the vehicle on the go but this is a game-changer in my book. Do you know if they began implementing the ones on the streets yet?
rickwookie

Post by rickwookie »

Government will pay £500 towards it at home (OLEV grant), so you can get a decent 7 kW charger for under £400. See https://pod-point.com/products/homecharge

Do you have off-street parking at home? If so, charging the car while you sleep, using cheap off-peak electricity, is a no-brainer.
Joolsdc

Post by Joolsdc »

The only advantage to the Honda own brand charger would be the ability to do vehicle to grid (V2G) charging.
Else electric is electric
We have a Mini Countryman PHEV and received an OLEV £500 grant towards a Myenergi Zappi charger. This is an excellent product if you have solar panels as it can divert home generated electricity to you EV (when it hits a minimum value of 1.4kW). Also Myenergi are a very helpful company for the EV novice. Only issue is they don’t do a V2G product (but then again only Nissan do at the moment) but Honda have said the e is compatible.
rickwookie

Post by rickwookie »

Joolsdc wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 7:26 pm The only advantage to the Honda own brand charger would be the ability to do vehicle to grid (V2G) charging.
Else electric is electric
We have a Mini Countryman PHEV and received an OLEV £500 grant towards a Myenergi Zappi charger. This is an excellent product if you have solar panels as it can divert home generated electricity to you EV (when it hits a minimum value of 1.4kW). Also Myenergi are a very helpful company for the EV novice. Only issue is they don’t do a V2G product (but then again only Nissan do at the moment) but Honda have said the e is compatible.
I really don't see how Honda can claim the e supports V2G, when the CCS connection standard itself, that the e uses, doesn't ( and won't before 2025 according to this: https://www.charinev.org/fileadmin/Down ... ration.pdf). I'd be surprised if they implemented their own closed non-standard to achieve V2G. However they did achieve it (if they do), I suspect a Zappi could be upgraded to work the same way.
londiniumperson

Post by londiniumperson »

I'd heard last year that Honda had teamed up with another company to look at V2G with the Honda e.
If you listen to the latest Fully Charged podcast it seems that it's true.

Here's a link to the YouTube version of the podcast: Moixa smart batteries podcast
2022 Advance in Crystal Black Pearl on 17's - 08/2020-Current
2015 VW Tiguan (Pure White) - 04/2018-Current
1991 Honda Beat PP1 (Festival Red) - 11/2022-Current
iHansz

Post by iHansz »

Dutch brochure about Honda's own chargers.

https://www.honda.nl/content/dam/local/ ... 3-2020.pdf
Dutch Advance in Charge Yellow on 17"
1st registered Oct 2020
Home charger: public charging stations only
Wee Peem

Post by Wee Peem »

Thanks for the Dutch brochure. Wonder when Honda UK will follow up with theirs ?
ChesterUK

Post by ChesterUK »

I would imagine that a charger that allowed 2-way energy flow would be very costly right now, similar to having a newer generation gateway device if you have battery storage for the home. The reason for this is if there is a power black out, anything offering a current back through the consumer unit that can flow back to the local transformer must disconnect ensuring safety for infrastructure engineers. Hence anyone with only solar PV, or solar PV with a simple gateway has no power during a black out. Nice to know that at least in theory the Honda e can support V2H & V2G.
milligoon

Post by milligoon »

Was told by my dealer it's around £1200 after the grant :shock:

So I think I'll be going zappi or Rolec with solar option.
Ex e owner

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post