Windscreen crack

Faults and Technical chat for the Honda E
gonzohop

Post by gonzohop »

Hi all

First time poster but a quick thank you as I "lurked" for some time before buying my E, a decision fuelled by this forum so thank you.

Loving the car, owned it for nearly 4 months now. It has developed the annoying rattle some others have commented on, which is disappointing but even more curious is the horrific crack now adorning the windscreen.

I parked the car in my drive, disappeared indoors for the rest of the day, came out and *bam* there it was. It appears to have started at the very top where it meets the roof, just left of centre, tracked round in an arc, almost perfectly around the cameras and sensors,before continuing down and around in the centre of the windscreen. Never seen anything like it.

I can't rule out nefarious actions by third parties but seeing as the car is parked literally outside my living room window where I was for most of the time, and I live in a quiet cul-de-sac, it seems unlikely. And there are no suspect stone chips or similar which could have weakened it.

Curious indeed. I just thought I'd throw this out there in case anyone else has experienced this in which case Honda needs to be made aware of it. I'm no engineer but it certainly seems like a stress fracture.

Your thoughts appreciated. I've attempted to show with a photo but difficult to make it out in all its glory.

Thanks again for this great forum. I have to say, I've never had so much attention driving a car - on almost every journey I get admiring looks, smiling faces and without fail a Q&A on the car by perfect strangers. Amazing!

All the best.

Richard

IMG_20210711_062944.jpg

milligoon

Post by milligoon »

That is a peculiar shaped crack, no signs of any tiny chips along the crack I take it? I've had a crack appear out of the blue before but that was caused by a chip and then heat and cooling stress, I take it you haven't been pushing or tapping the camera area to reduce the rattle?
Ex e owner
gonzohop

Post by gonzohop »

milligoon wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 8:54 am That is a peculiar shaped crack, no signs of any tiny chips along the crack I take it? I've had a crack appear out of the blue before but that was caused by a chip and then heat and cooling stress, I take it you haven't been pushing or tapping the camera area to reduce the rattle?
Hey there milligoon. No, no signs of chips or damage of any kind. Very odd. No, haven't touched that area - my rattle seems to be behind screen two (next to the steering wheel). Curious indeed...
Larbor

Post by Larbor »

I had a big crack recently which started bottom right. Appeared overnight as well, but it was due to a chip I hadn’t noticed.
It took autoglass 9 weeks to fix it due to missing parts.
gonzohop

Post by gonzohop »

Larbor wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 2:34 pm I had a big crack recently which started bottom right. Appeared overnight as well, but it was due to a chip I hadn’t noticed.
It took autoglass 9 weeks to fix it due to missing parts.
9 weeks! Oh my word - I hope they get their act together for my one, scheduled for tomorrow. :shock:
Trykpaa

Post by Trykpaa »

Ours chipped a year ago but was fine till spring, where suddenly it was cracked from standing in the sun. No surprise, that's how these thing go.

We have scheduled a replacement, which has been delayed due to lack of trim parts. Not really a problem, car is fine. But a bit annoying.
Larbor

Post by Larbor »

Trykpaa wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 6:54 am Ours chipped a year ago but was fine till spring, where suddenly it was cracked from standing in the sun. No surprise, that's how these thing go.

We have scheduled a replacement, which has been delayed due to lack of trim parts. Not really a problem, car is fine. But a bit annoying.
Trim parts was the issue for me as well. First they had only the glass. I waited another 3.5 weeks only to discover that they didn’t have the top trim. Another week later they also had that one and it got sorted.

I guess this is the issue with a car that isn’t sold very often.
Gerg

Post by Gerg »

hi

my screen cracked overnight also. I'm told this is due the side pillars expanding and stressing the screen when they get warm. Its taking weeks to fix as it's need new trims. National Windcscreens are the worst provider i have ever used. avoid at all cost!!

My car also rattles, but is amazing in every other ways, so easy to drive and live with. could do with 50 miles more range if im being picky, but as a second car its great.
Reuben80

Post by Reuben80 »

Gerg wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 7:11 pm hi

my screen cracked overnight also. I'm told this is due the side pillars expanding and stressing the screen when they get warm. Its taking weeks to fix as it's need new trims. National Windcscreens are the worst provider i have ever used. avoid at all cost!!

My car also rattles, but is amazing in every other ways, so easy to drive and live with. could do with 50 miles more range if im being picky, but as a second car its great.
That is not good at all. All these cracks make me worry. What is the maximum and minimum temperature in your area please?
advance2020

Post by advance2020 »

Touch wood, not had this problem, although my wife had similar in her Audi A1, probably caused by a chip initially.
But a note of caution. Most companies Autoglass etc now Only offer a Mobile service. I was offered this once on my Toyota iQ, and the young lad attempted the repair in December. Save to say the work carried out was unacceptable*, and I had to take my car 60 miles to Swindon for a professional, indoor workshop replace. It still took the guy over 1.5 hours to replace. So if I had to replace my Honda e screen, I would drive anywhere to have it done under cover, and in a dry, warm, clean environment. And thoroughly check that the screen was flush with housing etc

*it not only looked rubbish, it sounded rough, due to air drag noise, because it never went flush at top roof interface. Also discovered they were cutting costs by not using the Toyota replacement parts - just aftermarket copies. And this was Autoglass. Supposedly the best there is. For the second attempt they used the real Toyota parts.
Platinum White Pearl: e-driving green at last, on R17 Michelin Pilot Sport
A fan of One Pedal Driving max >>> and physical buttons