Tyre wear

All Honda E related discussions
milligoon

Post by milligoon »

Given people have now had their services one thing of note on mine I'll be keeping an eye on is the tyre wear.

I have done around 8500 miles in the first year my tyre wear is as follows on my 17" wheels

Front 6mm left
Rear 5mm left

Given that tyres normal start at 8mm+ tread depth 3mm on the rear in 8500 miles gives a life of around 18133 miles until they get to the 1.6mm tread limit, what are other people finding?

Bear in mind that probably 60% of my journeys are at motorway speed
Ex e owner

londiniumperson

Post by londiniumperson »

My tyre wear is not surprisingly similar to yours with 3 measurements across the tyres:
Front: 5.4-6.1mm
Rear: 4.5-5.2mm

This was over 8800 miles on the 17" Michelin PS4 tyres with approx 75% at motorway speeds.
2022 Advance in Crystal Black Pearl on 17's - 08/2020-Current
2015 VW Tiguan (Pure White) - 04/2018-Current
1991 Honda Beat PP1 (Festival Red) - 11/2022-Current
FMIB

Post by FMIB »

That does not sound particularly good for what is a small car.
As a comparison, my previous BMW G31 540i xdrive touring, at 22,000 miles also had 6mm left on fronts and 5mm on rears. Maybe 85% motorway, Michelin Primacy 3's. Ok different tyres, but a much bigger, heavier, more powerful car.
From a chart I found, the PS4 has a treadwear of 320 vs 240 for the Primacy 3
In my mind I would have thought 30000 miles + should be the norm on the Honda
ZoeDave

Post by ZoeDave »

Sounds about right to me. Admittedly I still am waiting for my e to be delivered, but I've done only 11k in my Zoe and the only thing with any appreciable wear is the front tyres. As the Zoe is front wheel drive and the e rear, the difference between front and rear also makes sense.

My guess is a combination of softer eco tyres, more weight from the battery (the e is super heavy for it's size), greater torque or a quicker ramp-up of power than a petrol car, and that scientifically-proven need to punch the accelerator when safe and legal in an EV. Ok that last one might just be me...
FMIB

Post by FMIB »

ZoeDave wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 7:02 pm
My guess is a combination of softer eco tyres, more weight from the battery (the e is super heavy for it's size), greater torque or a quicker ramp-up of power than a petrol car, and that scientifically-proven need to punch the accelerator when safe and legal in an EV. Ok that last one might just be me...
The e is rear wheel drive and 50:50 weight distribution, so if it’s the torque and punching the accelerator, the rears should wear significantly faster than the fronts, which in the examples above show that the rears are wearing only slightly faster than the fronts. In all the front or rear driven cars I have owned, the undriven tyres hardly wear in relation to the driven tyres.
I can understand high wear on cars driven mainly in town, but not on motorways
EEEE

Post by EEEE »

The last set of tyres on the prelude were michelin PS4s (same as the e) , and they are a pretty hard tyre. They survived 18 months of hard driving on a very front heavy car, and they still had 5mm+ tread on them when I switched over to something softer (cup 2s)

Shame the front and rears cant be swapped to help even out the wear on the e - but I don't think it will be a major problem.
'21 e Advance - Charge Yellow - E1702RR alloys
'17 Civic Sport CVT
'00 Prelude 2.2VTi
EEEE

Post by EEEE »

Well I take it back... After previous experiences of the PS4 tyre being pretty hard wearing, I can see the previous owner (sales manager) of my 'e' took exception to that wisdom!

I'm at under 8k miles (picked it up on 6k), and my rear Michelin PS4 are down to about 3mm! Fronts are over 5mm.

So, on the hunt for some new tyres. Not too many 'EV' specific options around at the minute. Anyone else taken the plunge yet? The typical wisdom of cheap/soft tyres is not going to work on a heavy ultra torquey car (compared to petrol).
'21 e Advance - Charge Yellow - E1702RR alloys
'17 Civic Sport CVT
'00 Prelude 2.2VTi
ZoeDave

Post by ZoeDave »

Interesting - I've just spotted that you all seem to have been delivered the car with Michelin tyres, while my car has Yokohamas. I guess because I have 16" wheels, but still a bit odd that any car built in Japan has French tyres on it. Did the 17" cars come with a free baguette and a shrug that I missed out on? Then again, its entirely possible that both companies have outsourced their production to the same factory.
MattHero

Post by MattHero »

Yeah, the 16s are always (so far) delivered with Yoko Blue Earth tyres.
Advance Charge Yellow on 16s.
Reuben80

Post by Reuben80 »

EEEE wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 8:19 pm Well I take it back... After previous experiences of the PS4 tyre being pretty hard wearing, I can see the previous owner (sales manager) of my 'e' took exception to that wisdom!

I'm at under 8k miles (picked it up on 6k), and my rear Michelin PS4 are down to about 3mm! Fronts are over 5mm.

So, on the hunt for some new tyres. Not too many 'EV' specific options around at the minute. Anyone else taken the plunge yet? The typical wisdom of cheap/soft tyres is not going to work on a heavy ultra torquey car (compared to petrol).
I am at 20k but my tyres look good.
When they are gone I will replace them with the Michelin Primacy 4. Those are the best I could find in terms of rolling resistance, noise and grip.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post