1st month of ownership, thoughts.

All Honda E related discussions
Joolsdc

Post by Joolsdc »

Don’t think I’ve found any of these issues. Except the lack of split folding rear seat.
I think the tech integrates well.

FMIB

Post by FMIB »

Took a drive this morning to get my Covid booster jab, so a good time to get some experience with winter range.
Started with a 100% charge and 24 miles each way, ended up with 43% remaining.
Outside temp was 5 degC, aircon was on, temp set at 19 degC and the road is mainly dual carriageway, with average speed 35.9mph on the way and 37.8mph on the way back, driving one pedal on the single lane roads and in auto mode on the dual carriage way staying between 60-65mph where possible, doing my best to drive as economical as possible.
At 100% it read 102 miles, quickly reducing to 75 miles and + 25 miles if I turned off the A/C, which slowly reduced to +5 miles as I reached home.
So not very efficient as the dash was showing something like 2.6-2.9 KW/mile.
Is this in line with other forum members and typical what to expect with an ambient of 5 DegC?

Just charged back to 100%, which took 19.2KW, so that's only 2.5miles per KW, unless the app is under reading the journey mileage
EEEE

Post by EEEE »

I find that the AC is the biggest draw - even moreso than the heating. I turned off my AC today for my journey home and ended up on 3.7m/kwh , otherwise i'm much closer to where you are (mid 2s).

Dont forget the sudden drop in temperature recently will probably have put your tyres down to 2.2bar instead of 2.4bar.

also the input power is not the same as charge added to the battery, some will be lost as heat in the charger/battery. I guess ultimately though the true efficiency should be calculated by the charger, otherwise the car is just cheating! Much like a petrol pump - it determines the litres added, and none is lost in transfer.
'21 e Advance - Charge Yellow - E1702RR alloys
'17 Civic Sport CVT
'00 Prelude 2.2VTi
FMIB

Post by FMIB »

EEEE wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 9:16 pm I find that the AC is the biggest draw - even moreso than the heating. I turned off my AC today for my journey home and ended up on 3.7m/kwh , otherwise i'm much closer to where you are (mid 2s).

Dont forget the sudden drop in temperature recently will probably have put your tyres down to 2.2bar instead of 2.4bar.

also the input power is not the same as charge added to the battery, some will be lost as heat in the charger/battery. I guess ultimately though the true efficiency should be calculated by the charger, otherwise the car is just cheating! Much like a petrol pump - it determines the litres added, and none is lost in transfer.
That difference with the AC off is surprisingly significant. I have used it all the time up to now and my efficiency has been similar to yours at around 3.5m/kwh. I always use AC when I drive as its the 100% effective way to keep all windows from misting up.
I have the same drive coming up tomorrow, so maybe I will try switching off the AC(one way, provided I don't mist up), however the outside temp will be around 0DegC. I will also check the tyre pressure today.

Update: well there's a first, all 4 tyres were spot on at 33psi, unlike my other vehicles that needed their usual low temperature top up.
londiniumperson

Post by londiniumperson »

FMIB wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 1:03 pm Took a drive this morning to get my Covid booster jab, so a good time to get some experience with winter range.
Started with a 100% charge and 24 miles each way, ended up with 43% remaining.
Outside temp was 5 degC, aircon was on, temp set at 19 degC and the road is mainly dual carriageway, with average speed 35.9mph on the way and 37.8mph on the way back, driving one pedal on the single lane roads and in auto mode on the dual carriage way staying between 60-65mph where possible, doing my best to drive as economical as possible.
At 100% it read 102 miles, quickly reducing to 75 miles and + 25 miles if I turned off the A/C, which slowly reduced to +5 miles as I reached home.
So not very efficient as the dash was showing something like 2.6-2.9 KW/mile.
Is this in line with other forum members and typical what to expect with an ambient of 5 DegC?

Just charged back to 100%, which took 19.2KW, so that's only 2.5miles per KW, unless the app is under reading the journey mileage
That usage sounds about right, my 50 mile round trip commute of mainly dual carriage ways & motorways uses about 60% of battery charge.
I can't see the point of turning A/C or heating off if I can make it home without a top up, the cost saving by returning home with even as much as an additional 25% is pennies.
2022 Advance in Crystal Black Pearl on 17's - 08/2020-Current
2015 VW Tiguan (Pure White) - 04/2018-Current
1991 Honda Beat PP1 (Festival Red) - 11/2022-Current
FMIB

Post by FMIB »

Thank you for the comments.
So 2.5-2.7m/kwh is about it then.
Did the drive today in some pretty adverse weather conditions with temp 3-4 degC.
Conditions did not really allow the AC to be switched off, but for the few minutes I did switch it off, the range did not significantly increase, if at all, so the efficiency, in my opinion is more dependent on the outside temp than the AC use.
I am also in the same camp as londiniumperson as i don't see the point of turning off the aircon and heating as generally I will never use it beyond its range that allows charge at home, so might as well be comfortable.
I don't have a dual rate tariff as I am on a fixed till June 22 tariff with British Gas, so my charging costs are higher at home than they might be. I did contact BG for their EV rate, which was a bit of a joke as the peak rate (and standing charge) increased by almost 10p kw, so not cost effective to pay so much for most of my day to day electrical use vs a small EV saving based on a low mileage. Maybe next year when the contract is up and if prices have stabilised, I will see if octopus are still around and see how they compare.

On a separate note, it was carnage on the roads, in one 2 mile stretch there were 7 cars badly smashed into the banking and bushes/trees at the side of the dual carriageway having skidded off the road either directly or after hitting the central reservation and a total of 9 smashed over the dual carriageway section + 4 or 5 and a lorry in a multiple collision where they remained on the carriageway.
There was standing water and a little bit of slush on the road.
I don't understand why people did not slow down in line with the road conditions.
I must say, the Honda felt really stable and well glued to the road today.
londiniumperson

Post by londiniumperson »

On typical dual carriageway/motorway driving then you’re about right with 2.5-2.7m/kwh at this time of year and the consumption shouldn’t get much worse over the winter. In summer you should easily get 3.5m/kWh & possibly up to 4 on the hotter days.
On slower A & B roads then you might even get around 5 m/kWh as others can attest to.
As you’ve also discovered, the AC isn’t a big draw on power, it’s the heater that’s the big hitter pulling around 3kW at full blast on a cold day, though once up to temperature it’ll be cycling on & off so will then use a lot less. I seem to remember that someone said that the seats only draw about 50W, so if you need to eek out some extra range on a cold day then make use of the seats rather than cranking up the cabin heater.
2022 Advance in Crystal Black Pearl on 17's - 08/2020-Current
2015 VW Tiguan (Pure White) - 04/2018-Current
1991 Honda Beat PP1 (Festival Red) - 11/2022-Current
MattHero

Post by MattHero »

Yesterday was a good illustration - to me at least - of how significant weather conditions are on range.

My first 5k miles over 14 months and I've averaged 4.2 miles per kWh.

Yesterday in the howling gale, 4°c and a deal of AC to keep visibility clear, I used 52% of battery to travel 44 miles 😯
Advance Charge Yellow on 16s.
FMIB

Post by FMIB »

MattHero wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 9:40 am Yesterday was a good illustration - to me at least - of how significant weather conditions are on range.

My first 5k miles over 14 months and I've averaged 4.2 miles per kWh.

Yesterday in the howling gale, 4°c and a deal of AC to keep visibility clear, I used 52% of battery to travel 44 miles 😯
That seems a little better than what I achieved, but my average over 400 miles and 3 months was 3.4m/kwh as mostly my trips are less than 3 miles each way.

Thick ice on the car this morning and 0DegC so i used the climate control app, 10 mins on warmer setting and 5% loss on the battery and I had clear front and back windows, a warm steering wheel and a warm seat. None of the standing outside scrapping ice off the windows waiting for an engine to warm up. Mind you, the 2 mile return trip from town with a cold car, resulted in an efficiency as low as 1.5 m/kwh.
EEEE

Post by EEEE »

I think someone else mentioned also - the preheating , even if running from the battery, does not get added to the usage used in the calculation on the B trip meter. So preheating, even from the battery, will increase your perceived efficiency from the onboard because you wont use as much otherwise.

Now if only the charger could pick up the car milage to give you a true figure (total energy delivered / total miles). Would soon go out the window if you charged away from home.
'21 e Advance - Charge Yellow - E1702RR alloys
'17 Civic Sport CVT
'00 Prelude 2.2VTi