Rear Camera Fogging

Faults and Technical chat for the Honda E
SuperRocket61

Post by SuperRocket61 »

Since the weather got colder I have noticed that the view from the top centre rear camera is foggy or blurry depending upon the outside temperature. It is clearly condensation but it's not cleared by wiping the rear screen.

I had the first service today at Aylesbury Honda. It took quite a while to explain exactly where and when I was seeing the problem but at the end of the day the report was that this is normal and is cleared by turning on the rear screen heater,

This sounds like a possible (maybe even obvious) solution - has anyone else had experience of this?

RAL7004

Post by RAL7004 »

Yes, turning on the rear screen heater solves the problem within 2-3 minutes...
ZoeDave

Post by ZoeDave »

Is this the camera for the rear-view mirror, or for parking? I only ask because I don't really use the former and don't know for sure if they are one and the same.

I have noticed quite a bit of condensation inside, so have bought a couple of those car dehumidifier bags - like big versions of those 'do not eat' sachets you get in some foods that you can recharge by sticking in the microwave. We'll see if that makes any difference.

The most annoying for me is the side cameras which are frequently foggy in the morning. As someone suggested, opening the window and prodding it with a finger works but I would have thought that pre-heat or the rear defroster would str that out.
EEEE

Post by EEEE »

I never use the rear-view camera, I always have it clicked and use the real mirror. I find the cameras more of a hinderance than a help, especially in this time of year when its always dark when driving. Dirt, Fogging, lack of detail in the dark, it makes using the car in the winter a real pain.

I hadn't even noticed it was a separate camera to the one by the boot handle!

I saw my first e in the aylesbury showroom - but didn't buy from there.
'21 e Advance - Charge Yellow - E1702RR alloys
'17 Civic Sport CVT
'00 Prelude 2.2VTi
SuperRocket61

Post by SuperRocket61 »

Yes, I'm talking about the camera for the rear view mirror.

Both mirror and rear view camera have problems. The mirror looks through the tinted rear screen so is rather dark. The camera works OK but if you wear varifocal glasses the close focussing area is designed for looking down and not looking up at the screen. Of course a rear view mirror focusses at infinity - something you never normally think about. I think they took a simple system that has worked in every car for 100 years and decided to 'improve it'.
Reuben80

Post by Reuben80 »

I always use the rear view camera. Takes just few minutes to get used to it, just set a few clicks to lower the view and that's it. It has a wider view than the normal mirror and when is cold just switch on the rear screen heater. Don't know why people hate it so much, I love it.
FDAD

Post by FDAD »

Reuben80 wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 10:59 am I always use the rear view camera. Takes just few minutes to get used to it, just set a few clicks to lower the view and that's it. It has a wider view than the normal mirror and when is cold just switch on the rear screen heater. Don't know why people hate it so much, I love it.
+1 :)
Honda E advance [Modern Steel Metallic] 8-) [DELIVERED JULY 2020] - 85 000Kms + ✌️🎂
EEEE

Post by EEEE »

Reuben80 wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 10:59 am I always use the rear view camera. Takes just few minutes to get used to it, just set a few clicks to lower the view and that's it. It has a wider view than the normal mirror and when is cold just switch on the rear screen heater. Don't know why people hate it so much, I love it.
I think the problem is that a normal mirror, you can move your head to increase the view when required. I find the view too narrow on the electric mirror. Even the side mirrors are too restrictive on the wide setting. I find the low light performance to be poor as well. In the summer months I hate it less, but at the minute, with road dirt, no sunlight, fogging/misting etc, all the screens/cameras are just an unnecessary interference.

Even though i notice it, the focal distance change is not much of a distraction thankfully.

I'm slightly spoilt in the prelude, I use one of these which is my favourite accessory ever. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/403148570273 , not sure which size I have but it is convex. Perfect for track days but also gives you a really good wide view and even visibility out of the rear quarter lights, perfect for checking the blind spot when joining carriageways. Plus bonus points for being made in Japan.
'21 e Advance - Charge Yellow - E1702RR alloys
'17 Civic Sport CVT
'00 Prelude 2.2VTi
iHansz

Post by iHansz »

FDAD wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 2:15 pm
+1000 :D
Dutch Advance in Charge Yellow on 17"
1st registered Oct 2020
Home charger: public charging stations only
RAL7004

Post by RAL7004 »

iHansz wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 11:00 am
FDAD wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 2:15 pm
+1000 :D
Same here.
When we got the car, I was also critical at first – especially because of the necessary accommodation of the eyes.
But you soon get used to that. I wouldn't want to miss it any more...

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post