Annoying rattle in the overhead switch cluster

Faults and Technical chat for the Honda E
htom

Post by htom »

Just in case someone is still looking for a solution to eliminating the overhead switch cluster rattle: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=552&p=12697#p12697
As for me, I had to take off both the small and large plastic cover behind the RVM and placed automotive wiring harness tape over the marked areas and underneath the yellow clip by carefully removing the clip first. (take your time and be gentle)
I've also added tape to the small plastic cover (over the clipping areas) attached to the top of the larger cover.
Since the fix, I drove the car for more than 300 km on bumpy backroads and no more noise/rattle from that area.

honda_plastic.jpg

londiniumperson

Post by londiniumperson »

Last night I tried to remove the larger piece but failed, any tips on it’s removal?

The smaller piece was easy to unclip but tricky to get out from behind the mirror.

Does the larger piece have to be unclipped from the centre rear (the 2 clips behind the mirror) and then pulled away from the windscreen slightly to release the outer edge clips before sliding towards the front of the car to release the lower clip, or I have missed something?
2022 Advance in Crystal Black Pearl on 17's - 08/2020-Current
2015 VW Tiguan (Pure White) - 04/2018-Current
1991 Honda Beat PP1 (Festival Red) - 11/2022-Current
kbjpick

Post by kbjpick »

Have I missed any reply to londiniumperson question of Wed May 04?
Fakeplasticman

Post by Fakeplasticman »

The furthest I got removing it is by pushing it towards the charging port - so, away from you - that gets the front part (part nearest the bonnet) to unclip - I wasnt brave enough to push it any further but base on above image I think it just slides off towards the bonnet. Someone else try it :D
Fakeplasticman

Post by Fakeplasticman »

londiniumperson wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 7:00 am Last night I tried to remove the larger piece but failed, any tips on it’s removal?

The smaller piece was easy to unclip but tricky to get out from behind the mirror.

Does the larger piece have to be unclipped from the centre rear (the 2 clips behind the mirror) and then pulled away from the windscreen slightly to release the outer edge clips before sliding towards the front of the car to release the lower clip, or I have missed something?
it just slides forward, needs a fair bit of force but theres nothing that will break - you just need to force it.

unfortunately it wasnt the souce of my rattle think its coming from the speaker hosuing on the dash baaaaahhhh
MaXPainT

Post by MaXPainT »

Looks like I found an easy workaround for the issue that doesn't require disassembling of the cluster. If you are still experiencing the issue you may want to give it a try.

So here is the story. I started experiencing the issue a couple of months into owning my E. Recently, I went to the dealership for the yearly check-up and asked them to take a look at it mentioning that it is a common issue widely discussed on the forums. To my surprise, they asked me what the solution suggested in the forums so I showed them the recommendation to stick tape on the cluster part shown above. After getting the car back there was no mention of any work being done on the cluster but I have seen some grease marks on the part which led me to believe that they have taken it apart and applied the tape (don't want to take it apart myself to be sure :) ). Sadly, this didn't solve the rattle issue for me.

Fast forward to yesterday. There were some unusual noises coming from the left side (passenger side for me) visor. I played with it a bit and found out that letting it go when it closes makes it bang on the interior of the car and makes the very familiar rattle in the center cluster. So I tried to keep it closed and stick a finger between it and the interior while driving - the rattle has gone. Today I have tried to replace my finger with a piece of foam - not a single rattle for the whole ride. Looks like adding padding between the visor and the interior sorts the issue out. I will think of a more permanent padding solution.

To sum up. If you are experiencing a rattle in the center cluster, try sticking a finger between a closed visor and the interior finish. :D

Here is a photo of my temporary solution. Needless to say that without the rattle the car feels like a much more premium experience :D

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post