1st month of ownership, thoughts.

All Honda E related discussions
FMIB

Post by FMIB »

Reuben80 wrote: โ†‘Fri Dec 31, 2021 1:37 pm Regen is not going to improve much your efficiency, it helps but not the main reason. You need to let it coast and use the least possible energy to go forward using the momentum of the car and gravity. You saw less efficiency with one pedal driving is because it does not let you coast.
You are absolutely correct.
Four more short journeys the past couple of days confirms for me that one pedal driving is not the most efficient way to drive most of the time.
The extra range gives me even more to smile about when driving the e.
Its just worrying that maybe its an age thing having taken so long to find it out. :cry:

FMIB

Post by FMIB »

8 months in and today we hit the 1000 mile mark.
Over the 8 months, its continues to prove itself as an excellent city car and has meet most of my criteria to replace my former BMW118i
The e is just as much fun to drive, quieter, more comfortable and so much easier to get in and out of.

Today I did a 46 mile round trip, dual carriageway, some B roads with air-con and started with 98% battery and ended with 61% battery, with a predicted remaining range of 73 miles. That gives a range of ca 120 miles, which I am quite happy with.

Of course there are areas were we know Honda could have done better, but overall, no regrets and it still brings a smile to my face every time I drive it.
FMIB

Post by FMIB »

Back home from a weeks break and the e would not charge when I plugged in. The car opened, powered up and drove no problem, but every time I connected the charge cable, no blue light and an amber warning signal to remove the charging cable on the dash. I tried various options to no avail. The charger was showing available from the app, green light active, but only flashing blue on connecting and not a solid blue light.
Without knowing if it was the car or charger, I drove to the local Honda dealer and asked them to let me plug into their charge point to see if it connected or not.
The blue light came on within seconds with the car registering it was charging, so that ruled the car out and pointed the finger at the charging unit. Called Hive and a reset from their end which failed to resolve the issue and a reset from the fuse box my end and still no charging. It shows working from their side and the app.
I am now awaiting a call back from their warranty department, which means no home charging for me and hence no use of the car. How long this will take, who knows. Updates in due-course

In the meantime, its now 11 months and 1200 miles in to ownership(4000 miles and 6 months in my XC90) and I have been thinking which of the numerous small issues were on my mind most of the time 11 months on.
Well, only 2 regularly come to mind that spoils the ownership a little for me.
1) Driving position - the lack of steering wheel and seat adjustment does not allow me to find a perfect driving position.( I realise this will not be an issue for other people)
2) No split folding rear seat. The car has a lot of load space with the seat folded down, but with a family of 3, load space is severely compromised as I cant fold half of the seat.

First service due at the end of the month and lets see what they do, if anything.
FMIB

Post by FMIB »

Update on the charge point. After chasing Hive for a reply on what action they will take, I finally received a call back. Again all the checks, resets etc failed to charge the car. Hive confirmed they were seeing the same info as my app, i.e charger ready to charge, charger available for 24 hour charging and getting ready to charge once connected to the car, but still no charge.
In the end, we traced it down to a software issue, where, after changing from no schedule to a custom schedule(which I had set whilst away so that no one could plug in and fully charge their car) the software had locked the custom setting, not allowing the charger to charge. We changed the app setting back from no schedule to custom, reset a time and voila, the car started charging. Finally we changed the app back to no schedule to allow 24 hour charging and the car continued to charge.
I need to monitor for the next few weeks, but should it happen again, at least I know where to start to resolve the issue.
FMIB

Post by FMIB »

Having sold my e today, I thought I should finish off my thread.
Its been good to interact with so many e owners over this year, everyone being so helpful.

I owned the e for a year and only covered 1380 miles. That 1380 miles was mostly made up of short trips, 2 miles in to town and 2 miles back
The max one way trip was around 40 miles and not once did I have the pleasure of charging on a public charger.
My average efficiency over that period was 3.2 miles/Kwh. Summer highs of up to 5 miles/Kwh and winter lows of less than 2
The car was 100% reliable over the year.
Its not often one trades a car in at a higher value than the purchase price, but that and the unknown charging costs from 2023 onwards, it seemed like a reasonable time to change.
Helping push that decision was the fact that I never got a 100% comfortable driving position as I found the steering wheel a bit to far away from me when the seat was in the best position.
Another issue was the lack of a split folding rear seat that made the transport of 3 adults and a dog less than ideal. Apart for that, it always swallowed all our shopping. However, if I wanted to travel further than the city it needed forward planning to ensure it was sufficiently charged, which took hours rather than a 5 minute fill up at a petrol station.
These are addressed for me with the Honda Jazz hybrid.

Maybe I will be ready again for a full EV a few more years down the road

As a city car it excelled, was fantastic to drive and I would recommend it to anyone.

I will miss the e
FDAD

Post by FDAD »

FMIB wrote: โ†‘Tue Aug 30, 2022 8:15 pm Having sold my e today, I thought I should finish off my thread.
Its been good to interact with so many e owners over this year, everyone being so helpful.

I owned the e for a year and only covered 1380 miles. That 1380 miles was mostly made up of short trips, 2 miles in to town and 2 miles back
The max one way trip was around 40 miles and not once did I have the pleasure of charging on a public charger.
My average efficiency over that period was 3.2 miles/Kwh. Summer highs of up to 5 miles/Kwh and winter lows of less than 2
The car was 100% reliable over the year.
Its not often one trades a car in at a higher value than the purchase price, but that and the unknown charging costs from 2023 onwards, it seemed like a reasonable time to change.
Helping push that decision was the fact that I never got a 100% comfortable driving position as I found the steering wheel a bit to far away from me when the seat was in the best position.
Another issue was the lack of a split folding rear seat that made the transport of 3 adults and a dog less than ideal. Apart for that, it always swallowed all our shopping. However, if I wanted to travel further than the city it needed forward planning to ensure it was sufficiently charged, which took hours rather than a 5 minute fill up at a petrol station.
These are addressed for me with the Honda Jazz hybrid.

Maybe I will be ready again for a full EV a few more years down the road

As a city car it excelled, was fantastic to drive and I would recommend it to anyone.

I will miss the e
Well you didn't even scratch the tires but if it didn't suit you, better off with another choice ๐Ÿ™Œ T'ill next time!
Honda E advance [Modern Steel Metallic] 8-) [DELIVERED JULY 2020] - 85 000Kms + โœŒ๏ธ๐ŸŽ‚
milligoon

Post by milligoon »

Wow that is a low mileage.

Enjoy your new Jazz.
Ex e owner