Infotainment system shutdown.

Faults and Technical chat for the Honda E
FDAD

Post by FDAD »

NewCode wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 11:28 am I’ve had no issues at all, but all I use on the car is CarPlay really. Haven’t seen the lag others have mentioned at all while using CarPlay either.
The more I used it the more it starts to fail randomly. The dealer tech confirmed me that It should not be a requirement that we (users) keep clearing cache as that only makes opening programs even slower (so it's counter productive). It's a 40k € car so I would expect it to behave better than a off the shelf DIN2 system. (I can already see myself using an Arduino connected directly to those screens).

He said that given the age that most buyers afford/use this kind of car that they would not meddle enough with the system to lag being a problem.
So android 8.1 (that's the version the system is currently based on) is from 2017, current stable android version is 10.

It's like having a brand new pc with win vista two lcd screens connected... for some people it's no big deal (and having to wait for an app to open is not something I've had to experience in 2 years android 9 with octacore + 6gb ram) but as soon as you start to actively use it...
Honda E advance [Modern Steel Metallic] 8-) [DELIVERED JULY 2020] - 85 000Kms + ✌️🎂

FDAD

Post by FDAD »

:!: :!: NEWS UPDATE
Honda dealer contacted me yesterday saying that they got news from Honda tech dep. they'll be replacing the infotainment unit for a new one and another control unit (the system also displayed no regen.. erratic numbers 99.99 or 0) they're waiting for the parts to arrive. They said my current unit will be sent to Germany to be properly analysed.

Car has now 6000+kms
Honda E advance [Modern Steel Metallic] 8-) [DELIVERED JULY 2020] - 85 000Kms + ✌️🎂
SwissChris

Post by SwissChris »

That sounds like they are taking care now. If you look into the id.3 and Polestar 2 forums, our issues seem to be quite minimal... Polestar 2 for example is suddenly stopping, even on the highway...
FDAD

Post by FDAD »

SwissChris wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 9:32 am That sounds like they are taking care now. If you look into the id.3 and Polestar 2 forums, our issues seem to be quite minimal... Polestar 2 for example is suddenly stopping, even on the highway...
I know... when ID3 reviews started and they talked about system lags etc I laughed XD.
Polestar really is a different more serious situation...

Honda is a NOOB when it comes to EVs so I don't think that it turnd out that bad. I thinks its a great car. They just need to get the details right.
Left4Cookies

Post by Left4Cookies »

Just an hour ago after I parked at the end of driving home from work, fiddled around with the system settings (changed brightness and turn signal tone) and then I went into "System Details" which goes away from the "Honda E" UI overlay of the interface and into something more natively Android. After exiting this I got a rotating loading icon for about 10 secs after which the screen went blank, so I turned the car off and on, only to have the screens STILL be blank (and me starting to get worried). I waited a bit (30 secs), restarted the thing again and back it came. I restarted it again again just to double check, and it seems it was just a hiccup, my guess being switching from the Android UI to the "Honda E" UI messed up something along the way.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
FDAD

Post by FDAD »

Left4Cookies wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 2:34 pm Just an hour ago after I parked at the end of driving home from work, fiddled around with the system settings (changed brightness and turn signal tone) and then I went into "System Details" which goes away from the "Honda E" UI overlay of the interface and into something more natively Android. After exiting this I got a rotating loading icon for about 10 secs after which the screen went blank, so I turned the car off and on, only to have the screens STILL be blank (and me starting to get worried). I waited a bit (30 secs), restarted the thing again and back it came. I restarted it again again just to double check, and it seems it was just a hiccup, my guess being switching from the Android UI to the "Honda E" UI messed up something along the way.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Imagine having that constantly... I removed the aquarium app as that was making it even worse. I don't mess with anything besides Bluetooth and FM radio... Long gone are the days were I tried new stuff and used the HDMI actively.
londiniumperson

Post by londiniumperson »

Mine did that for the first time this afternoon, I moved the car forward about 3m to allow access for my passenger to enter, exited the car (key in pocket) leaving my door open to lock my front door & on my return the system was restarting with the rotating loading icon. I just left it because I had to pick someone else up and after about 30 seconds the infotainment system had restarted.
2022 Advance in Crystal Black Pearl on 17's - 08/2020-Current
2015 VW Tiguan (Pure White) - 04/2018-Current
1991 Honda Beat PP1 (Festival Red) - 11/2022-Current
Left4Cookies

Post by Left4Cookies »

Granted, I don't have a lot of experience with other car's infortainment systems as this is my first own car, but it's weird that such seemingly basic issues exist. Hopefully it's a different QA department that's responsible for the vehicle control software (or whatever it's called).
williamchan

Post by williamchan »

FDAD wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 8:22 am :!: :!: NEWS UPDATE
Honda dealer contacted me yesterday saying that they got news from Honda tech dep. they'll be replacing the infotainment unit for a new one and another control unit (the system also displayed no regen.. erratic numbers 99.99 or 0) they're waiting for the parts to arrive. They said my current unit will be sent to Germany to be properly analysed.

Car has now 6000+kms
Hey FDAD, I just had mine factory reset the 4th time due to the same issue, mind me asking what was the solution that Honda provided to your e?

P.S. Just emailed the dealer in Stockport and provided this thread to them as a reference, finger crossed this might help to speed up a bit of the process as I am afraid, they will just ask me to bring the car over and perform several engine start and come back to me and say nothing is wrong with it.
FDAD

Post by FDAD »

williamchan wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 9:07 am
Hey FDAD, I just had mine factory reset the 4th time due to the same issue, mind me asking what was the solution that Honda provided to your e?

P.S. Just emailed the dealer in Stockport and provided this thread to them as a reference, finger crossed this might help to speed up a bit of the process as I am afraid, they will just ask me to bring the car over and perform several engine start and come back to me and say nothing is wrong with it.
Well the dealer replaced mine and it fixed some issues with overheating but the actual fix is you just don't try and do much with the infotainment.
I actually unistalled everything that came factory, the aquarium and AHA radio it was the only way I could keep mine from freezing from time to time (once a week) and I also changed some configurations in developer mode.

If the screen goes black and you are not bothered to go to Honda ask them to fix it.... if you are like me and already know they are just as useless as the infotainment itself.
Turn off the car, open the bonnet and pull the infotainment fuse for 10 seconds and put it back again. There fixed....

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post