Wider wheels

Faults and Technical chat for the Honda E
Rizzoe

Post by Rizzoe »

Dumb question, has anyone had experience with installing wider wheels?
I was considering using the stock rims for winter tires and getting some 8jx17 (ET?) for the front and 9jx17 (ET?) for the rear (although 7.5j front and 8j rear seems more realistic).
Haven't had the car delivered yet so i can't use willtheyfit for checking how much wheelwell space they take up.

I'd still keep stock tire measurements (Le JDM stretch :lol: ) in order to keep efficiency differences minimal, if that's even possible.
Ex Audi S3 8P -> Honda e (12/2022) +
2021 Lexus UX250h 4WD "Midnight" (01/2024)

zemdega

Post by zemdega »

I read somewhere that you can add spacers for oem wheels - 20mm front and 25mm rear without any problem. You can do your math from there.

By the way I don't see any reason to do so. More traction, bigger consumption, less range :?: :!: :?:
stzrd

Post by stzrd »

zemdega wrote: Fri Oct 14, 2022 6:19 am I read somewhere that you can add spacers for oem wheels - 20mm front and 25mm rear without any problem. You can do your math from there.

By the way I don't see any reason to do so. More traction, bigger consumption, less range :?: :!: :?:
You can't add 20mm spacers to the front without the original studs hitting the back of the 17" wheels. 25mm is fine though
londiniumperson

Post by londiniumperson »

stzrd wrote: Fri Oct 14, 2022 6:29 pm
zemdega wrote: Fri Oct 14, 2022 6:19 am I read somewhere that you can add spacers for oem wheels - 20mm front and 25mm rear without any problem. You can do your math from there.

You can't add 20mm spacers to the front without the original studs hitting the back of the 17" wheels. 25mm is fine though
Who told you that?
2022 Advance in Crystal Black Pearl on 17's - 08/2020-Current
2015 VW Tiguan (Pure White) - 04/2018-Current
1991 Honda Beat PP1 (Festival Red) - 11/2022-Current
stzrd

Post by stzrd »

londiniumperson wrote: Fri Oct 14, 2022 7:02 pm Who told you that?
Nobody told me that, I found out myself by fitting the same 20mm set, and have the measurements and photos to show the issue. There is not enough clearance between the back of the wheel and the original studs with 20mm spacers. The tips of the original studs make contact with the wheel.

I imagine most people who have these fitted and didn't notice have just tightened them up and crushed them into the back of the alloy wheel
londiniumperson

stzrd wrote: Sun Oct 16, 2022 9:51 am
londiniumperson wrote: Fri Oct 14, 2022 7:02 pm Who told you that?
Nobody told me that, I found out myself by fitting the same 20mm set, and have the measurements and photos to show the issue. There is not enough clearance between the back of the wheel and the original studs with 20mm spacers. The tips of the original studs make contact with the wheel.

I imagine most people who have these fitted and didn't notice have just tightened them up and crushed them into the back of the alloy wheel
As you'll see in my topic Wheel Spacers I did mention that there was a little binding at final torquing of the wheel nuts even though I had checked the fitment. Maybe the H&R wheel spacers are slightly different, I was lucky or the studs do touch the wheel pockets. However, one of the front wheels was recently taken off by a local tyre fitter to repair a puncture and they didn't comment on this. Anyway. I'll be needing some tyres fairly soon so will double check then.

I also remember testing out the 25mm spacers on the front and didn't like the look with the additional protrusion outside the wheel arches.
Rizzoe

Post by Rizzoe »

You're right! From an efficiency standpoint it doesn't make much sense at all. But i've always loved the idea of adding new wheels on a car to give it a more ""unique"" or specific look. The e is already a nice looking vehicle, but a new look wouldn't hurt!

The hardest part is finding wheels that have both 8jx17 and 9jx17 configurations (or more realistically even just 7j and 8j). So far JR wheels seem to be the only option in that case, as they offer the widest variety of configs, at a premium obv

I've never liked the idea of spacers either, i believe they mess too much with suspension geometry compared to a (properly offsetted) wider wheel.
londiniumperson

Rizzoe wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 10:52 am

You're right! From an efficiency standpoint it doesn't make much sense at all. But i've always loved the idea of adding new wheels on a car to give it a more ""unique"" or specific look. The e is already a nice looking vehicle, but a new look wouldn't hurt!

The hardest part is finding wheels that have both 8jx17 and 9jx17 configurations (or more realistically even just 7j and 8j). So far JR wheels seem to be the only option in that case, as they offer the widest variety of configs, at a premium obv

I've never liked the idea of spacers either, i believe they mess too much with suspension geometry compared to a (properly offsetted) wider wheel.
Fitting wider wheels almost always requires a change of offset to avoid touching the suspension, especially going 1.5” wider and then the geometry will be effected anyway.

When I considered spacers, I felt that the best option was to ensure I purchased some that were TÜV certified, so at least they have been checked to comply with a safety standard.
Rizzoe

Post by Rizzoe »

londiniumperson wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 12:37 pm
Fitting wider wheels almost always requires a change of offset to avoid touching the suspension, especially going 1.5” wider and then the geometry will be effected anyway.

When I considered spacers, I felt that the best option was to ensure I purchased some that were TÜV certified, so at least they have been checked to comply with a safety standard.
Do you know how much space there is between inner edge of the tire and the strut assembly on the rear axle?
londiniumperson

Rizzoe wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 3:49 pm
londiniumperson wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 12:37 pm

Do you know how much space there is between inner edge of the tire and the strut assembly on the rear axle?
No I don’t, it’s probably best that you check for yourself as I wouldn’t want to be responsible if there was an issue with any measurement I’d provided and not proven to myself was 100% accurate.

Is there a reason that you can’t do this yourself?

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post