Hi all

New to the Honda E Forums? Introduce yourself here
Ste1

Post by Ste1 »

ilBaku wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 11:14 pm The manual says to fully charge the battery each time. I usually charge it to 80%, and once a week to 100%.
If it was harmful to fully charge the battery they wouldn't let you
Thanks for your input. I always charge to 85%. But now I'll charge to 100 once or twice a month. Maybe I'm over thinking it and the battery will outlast the car and none of this will matter.

advance2020

Post by advance2020 »

I normally recharge to 80% at home*. Sometimes vary to 85 or 90. If planning a long run I will charge to 95 or maybe 100%. We live high up, so 95% allows for some regen top up. Manual says charge to 100% occasionally. If charging for free @tesco I can often top up to 98/99/100% away from home on 7kW Fast Chargers @PodPoint

The predicted range doesn’t seem to increase that much beyond 95% charge. So if you are paying to top up to 100% it is not cost effective. The car throttles charge as you increase % SoC so I rarely find it worthwhile. Only when it’s free electric, and I have left the car too long parked up!

*still use Granny charger since 6 Aug 2020 without any problems
Platinum White Pearl: e-driving green at last, on R17 Michelin Pilot Sport
A fan of One Pedal Driving max >>> and physical buttons
DonJohnsonJr

Post by DonJohnsonJr »

ilBaku wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 11:14 pm The manual says to fully charge the battery each time. I usually charge it to 80%, and once a week to 100%.
I can't find this info in my manual. Could you maybe post a screenshot/picture of this particular page from your manual? Thank you.
zemdega

Post by zemdega »

DonJohnsonJr wrote: Thu Oct 13, 2022 5:27 pm
I can't find this info in my manual. Could you maybe post a screenshot/picture of this particular page from your manual? Thank you.
Page 574.

Screenshot 2022-10-13 at 20.42.55.jpg

I was told by dealer that charging all the time to 100% is not good but reading this makes me think that it should be OK. Not sure to be honest.
DonJohnsonJr

Post by DonJohnsonJr »

Awesome, thank you! Considering the manufacturer recommends you to fully charge the battery each time, it would be silly not to do so. The manufacturer wouldn't recommend so if it was bad for the battery, since they're the ones who have to replace it if it falls to below 70% while under warranty.
keithr

Post by keithr »

As I posted in the 80% or 100% Re: Charging the battery discussion, this is what Volkswagen say in their Owner's Manual for the ID.3 concerning good maintenance of the battery pack (taken from the YouTube video referenced earlier in that discussion):

It is relatively easy to maintain your high voltage battery. If you follow these three golden rules then you have already done the most important thing to maintain the high range of your car.

1. Please do not load your car, on average, with more than 80% of its capacity when using it over short distances.

2. If the car is not used for more than 12 hours, it must be loaded between 30 and 80% of its capacity.

3. To fully charge your car (100%), use a charge time gauge found in the charge manager and and then start immediately after the car is charged.

The same should apply to the Honda e battery pack - it's similar to most electric car battery packs. So it's best for reduced battery degradation to immediately start driving the car when you charge it to 100%. Leaving the car standing with 100% SOC will speed up battery degradation.

I suspect the Honda e manual might have lost something in the translation, and what they meant to say was something like "To extend the lifespan of the battery, it is recommended that you only fully charge the battery immediately prior to driving".

It won't be rapid degradation though, so no need to worry too much about it. I bought an electric motorbike back in 2020 (a Zero SR), which as a result of the Covid-19 lockdown had ended up sitting in the dealer's showroom at 100% SOC for about 3 months, but the battery was still fine. What's worse is leaving it standing for long periods at low SOC (below 30%). I've read of one Zero owner having to leave his bike at 30% SOC during the lockdown and when he was able to get back to it the battery had become a brick - it had no charge and could not be charged - he had to buy a new battery.

The best SOC for long term storage (for reduced battery degradation) is around 50% (and my car spends 99% of the time sat on my driveway!). I do lots of short journeys, so I keep my car between 50 - 60% most of the time, and only charge higher immediately before a longer journey (and to 100% once every few months).
DonJohnsonJr

Post by DonJohnsonJr »

keithr wrote: Fri Oct 14, 2022 12:36 pmThe same should apply to the Honda e battery pack - it's similar to most electric car battery packs.
The ID.3 58kWh has a nominal capacity of 62kWh. That's a 6,5% buffer. Where as Honda e has a useable capacity of 28.8kWh and nominal capacity of 35.5kWh. That's 18,9% buffer. So 100% charge isn't the same between the two cars.

If the manual recommends you to always charge to 100%, I don't see any reason not to. The manufacturer wouldn't recommend you do anything to reduce the batterys lifespan, as they are the ones providing the guarantee for it.
iHansz

Post by iHansz »

DonJohnsonJr wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 7:41 pm
If the manual recommends you to always charge to 100%, I don't see any reason not to. The manufacturer wouldn't recommend you do anything to reduce the batterys lifespan, as they are the ones providing the guarantee for it.
That's exactly how I feel about it too. I always charge my e to 100% as well. 8-)
Dutch Advance in Charge Yellow on 17"
1st registered Oct 2020
Home charger: public charging stations only
RAL7004

Post by RAL7004 »

iHansz wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 8:13 am
DonJohnsonJr wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 7:41 pm
That's exactly how I feel about it too. I always charge my e to 100% as well. 8-)
Same here.
100%.
Accord

Post by Accord »

As long as you'll drive it the same or next day - it doesn't matter. But if it's going to be standing in the driveway for 3+ days, rather charge it to 80-90% instead. Especially if it's hot.