Auto lock and unlock

All Honda E related discussions
MaXPainT

Post by MaXPainT »

Tbh, I don't mind the current implementation as it still eliminates the need to carry the fob in your pocket. It is enough for it to be on you. It would be nice if the car would unlock when the handles pop-out, but you still need to touch the handle to open it so not a biggy.

My main issue with it is that the unlock / lock feature is very unreliable. For me it works perfectly 6 out of 7 days in a week, but on the 7th day it won't unlock / lock no matter how long you will interact with the handle. I wish it would be more reliable rather than do more things 6 times out of 7.

zemdega

Post by zemdega »

A bit of topic but I can't find proper post - few days ago we got snow, then sun and then -6. Snow melted poured into handle and froze. Now it's not popping out when open. I get inside the car opening it from passenger door. Should I worry that something can break inside if it's blocked? I didn't had time to figure out how to solve this but now I'm a bit concerned that I should.
londiniumperson

Post by londiniumperson »

zemdega wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 3:48 pm A bit of topic but I can't find proper post - few days ago we got snow, then sun and then -6. Snow melted poured into handle and froze. Now it's not popping out when open. I get inside the car opening it from passenger door. Should I worry that something can break inside if it's blocked? I didn't had time to figure out how to solve this but now I'm a bit concerned that I should.
Doesn’t using the pre-heat thaw out the door handles?
2022 Advance in Crystal Black Pearl on 17's - 08/2020-Current
2015 VW Tiguan (Pure White) - 04/2018-Current
1991 Honda Beat PP1 (Festival Red) - 11/2022-Current
zemdega

Post by zemdega »

londiniumperson wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 5:30 pm
zemdega wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 3:48 pm A bit of topic but I can't find proper post - few days ago we got snow, then sun and then -6. Snow melted poured into handle and froze. Now it's not popping out when open. I get inside the car opening it from passenger door. Should I worry that something can break inside if it's blocked? I didn't had time to figure out how to solve this but now I'm a bit concerned that I should.
Doesn’t using the pre-heat thaw out the door handles?
Will try one more time, but I have a feeling I did preheat in those days (but not 100% sure).
zemdega

Post by zemdega »

Preheat didn't helped much. There was big piece of ice behind handle so it was impossible to open it even manually. A bit of hot water helped. It's only important to clear water from handle so it won't freeze again quickly. Compressed air would be the best but swinging door done the job too.
keithr

Post by keithr »

I would be tempted to try a hair dryer. There's a handy 1.5kW socket in the car that you can plug it into. :)
5thcivic

Post by 5thcivic »

A relative of mine closed the boot forgetting she had the key in the boot, and the Audi locked itself. The second key was a couple of hundred miles away at home.

I thought with the key in range the car should not lock (unless she had switched the key off, I don't know about that, but knowing her not likely, I had to persuade her to get a faraday box for the house).

The AA could not open it and she had to call a locksmith who took 2 hours to fiddle the mechanics.
londiniumperson

Post by londiniumperson »

5thcivic wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 2:19 pm A relative of mine closed the boot forgetting she had the key in the boot, and the Audi locked itself. The second key was a couple of hundred miles away at home.

I thought with the key in range the car should not lock (unless she had switched the key off, I don't know about that, but knowing her not likely, I had to persuade her to get a faraday box for the house).

The AA could not open it and she had to call a locksmith who took 2 hours to fiddle the mechanics.
It depends on the age of the car, newer models don't tend to allow a boot to be closed if it detects the keys inside the car.
Many years ago when I took my family to visit my mum, we were loading up the car (a VW) in the rain for the return journey and the keys were dropped in the boot area, because only the rear hatch had been opened the other doors remained locked. Then someone closed the hatch and it also locked.
Luckily the keys were visible from outside & when the recovery guy arrived, he wedged open the rear door at the top with an air wedge pump bag and used a long wire to hook out the keys. Then once unlocked he bent the top of the door back into shape as it was bowed out :o
2022 Advance in Crystal Black Pearl on 17's - 08/2020-Current
2015 VW Tiguan (Pure White) - 04/2018-Current
1991 Honda Beat PP1 (Festival Red) - 11/2022-Current

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post