Ambient Lights

Faults and Technical chat for the Honda E
upsilon

Post by upsilon »

Hi, had anyone explored the possibility of enhancing the brightness of 3 ambient lights below the front dash?

I like a neat subtle look but these are so dim that they are almost non-existing.

Verone

Post by Verone »

Not sure if it's the same all over the world, but in the market that I bought mine, this was an optional extra ( 08E16-TYF-600 - Console Illumination).

The pictures I saw of it on Honda's website showed lights a lot brighter that what we get in reality. They work okay in the pitch black, but during the day or evening when the sun is going down, there's little to no point in them.

It's one of very few little niggly problems I have with the car since buying it - if I'd known they'd be so dim, I wouldn't have selected them as an option.

I'm sure it's possible do some math on circuit load, pop the trip off and solder some new LEDs in, but I really can't be bothered because it's not that big of an issue for me.
Icelandic Advance Limited Edition in Premium Crystal Red on 17" rims
Registered May 2023
Home Type 2 Charging & Free Work Type 2 Charging! Woo!
ODO - 8750km
ZoeDave

Post by ZoeDave »

It's probably not what you are looking for, but I do have an idea.

You may have seen those battery powered LEDs that you can stick anywhere, usually round and about 5cm in diameter and you press the centre to turn them on. I remember years ago when I owned a Smart someone had an elongated version with three LED clusters stuck to the frame on the roof that was perfect to illuminate the luggage area.

I wonder if something similar (maybe smaller due to tech advancements), placed in an out of sight area but easy to press, might be a good and easy option? Obviously not great if you want it on all the time, but could avoid any actual modifications to the car.

FWIW, I'm pretty sure that I paid for and have the interior lighting kit, but agree that if I haven't noticed that they are there, they are either perfectly subtle, or more likely just too dim.
upsilon

Post by upsilon »

Thanks and yes it's not what Im looking for :lol:

These lights are suppose to be dim but in pitch dark you are able to see there's a light there but won't be anywhere near the level whereby its good enough to read under.

It's a nice touch to have them but at the moment they are so dim that it won't show if I have my hands below them anywhere beyond 10cm gap.

I'm not sure if the designer had planned for change of bulb if it fails then perhaps there's some ways to remove and replace with brighter bulbs. I will likely drop the idea if it will take removing the dash to access it.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post