Range and charging rate.

Faults and Technical chat for the Honda E
Reuben80

Post by Reuben80 »

That is why is strange for me, why using a performance tyre on a city car!! The Michelin are the same tyres that the Tesla model 3 comes with too. I want economy not performance T_T
I would change them to the Primacy 4 as soon as they wear out. They cost the same or even cheaper.

iHansz

Post by iHansz »

Reuben80 wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 4:58 am That is why is strange for me, why using a performance tyre on a city car!! The Michelin are the same tyres that the Tesla model 3 comes with too. I want economy not performance T_T
I would change them to the Primacy 4 as soon as they wear out. They cost the same or even cheaper.
I read in an interview with a "Honda e" engineer that Honda wanted to make a fun to drive electric car, not an ordinary one like the Zoe, hence the high-end suspension and the Michelins. And really, it drives just as well as a MINI. :geek:
Dutch Advance in Charge Yellow on 17"
1st registered Oct 2020
Home charger: public charging stations only
rickwookie

Post by rickwookie »

Rei wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 11:08 am
rickwookie wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 10:55 am
Reuben80 wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 4:33 am

Ask them to bet. If it does not charge in 30 minutes they give you a discount :)
Even their own brochure only claims from "battery warning" (15% according to Bjorn) to 80% in 31 minutes, though the actual wording is something like "charge to 80%*, then the little * reveals all charge times are from when the low battery warning comes on. That's actually not far of what Bjorn got tbh. 15%-80% in his video was 34 minutes
That's accurate then, Bjorn saw 10-80% in 36 minutes so starting with another 5% will probably be enough to get it down to 30 minutes.
Well, no, it’s 34 minutes, as seen in Bjorn’s video, and why I wrote that.👍
Electra

Post by Electra »

Is there any more information about the rumoured software (or firmware) upgrade? Fingers crossed that it will increase range and charge rate.
Trykpaa

Post by Trykpaa »

Hi

I'm new here. We got a Blue E a month ago. Here in DK its about the same price as the new Jazz Hybrid, so almost a sensible choice in the Honda model range.

I don't understand all the fuss about range, but I assume its from people not really in the market for a electric city car with 200km range. As to Tesla Bjorns 'review' it also misses the point of the car - would have been as informative to test its ability as a tractor. If you want to go any significant distance at speed - run diesel - everything else is a compromise.

As to the range of Honda E advance: Around town, range is further than I can ever be bothered to drive in a day (longer than WLTP). On country roads I get about the claimed range without trying hard.
The E does great on motorways but range is a function of speed - down to 110km when going top speed as much as possible. The car is not intended for this, so I don't see the relevance. A Tesla S I tried got 200km range and my diesel Civic also has half the claimed fuel economy when driving like that. No surprises really.
Reuben80

Post by Reuben80 »

Trykpaa wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 10:12 pm Hi

I'm new here. We got a Blue E a month ago. Here in DK its about the same price as the new Jazz Hybrid, so almost a sensible choice in the Honda model range.

I don't understand all the fuss about range, but I assume its from people not really in the market for a electric city car with 200km range. As to Tesla Bjorns 'review' it also misses the point of the car - would have been as informative to test its ability as a tractor. If you want to go any significant distance at speed - run diesel - everything else is a compromise.

As to the range of Honda E advance: Around town, range is further than I can ever be bothered to drive in a day (longer than WLTP). On country roads I get about the claimed range without trying hard.
The E does great on motorways but range is a function of speed - down to 110km when going top speed as much as possible. The car is not intended for this, so I don't see the relevance. A Tesla S I tried got 200km range and my diesel Civic also has half the claimed fuel economy when driving like that. No surprises really.
I totally agree with you. I think some people are angry or not happy because they want this car but their needs are more than it can handle so they become frustrated. It is such a cool car but has many downsides. For me range is not an issue, I am not happy that is takes only 4 persons and the boot space can be an issue but only sometimes so I can live with that. It is not for everybody but I can see me being very happy with it when I get it as I already did my research.
Left4Cookies

Post by Left4Cookies »

Longer than WLTP in city driving? That's interesting! If you won't mind me asking, whereabouts in Denmark are you using it? I'm living and working in Copenhagen, and expect to use it mostly within the city itself and the suburbs, so a more-than-WLTP-range sounds almost too good to be true.
RAL7004

Post by RAL7004 »

I'm new here. We got a Blue E a month ago. Oha - obviously you are the first one here who can call the vehicle his own!
Please describe your first impressions of the vehicle in normal operation - apart from the test drives which usually only last a few minutes!
Oha - obviously you are the first one here who can call the vehicle his own!
Please describe your first impressions of the vehicle in normal operation – apart from the test drives which usually only last a few minutes!
londiniumperson

Post by londiniumperson »

Left4Cookies wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 8:25 am
Trykpaa wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 10:12 pm ...
Longer than WLTP in city driving? That's interesting! If you won't mind me asking, whereabouts in Denmark are you using it? I'm living and working in Copenhagen, and expect to use it mostly within the city itself and the suburbs, so a more-than-WLTP-range sounds almost too good to be true.
It's madness that people (mainly journalists) complain about the lack of range, rear seat and boot space, then they'll rave about a 2 seater sports car and for some reason won't even mention the lack of rear seats!
A 2 seater sports car is just that, a car with 2 seats the same as the Honda e is a small city car, 'quelle surprise', it's designed to be relatively small & light, so space will be minimal as will the designed range.

As for the range a driver gets compared to the manufacturers advertised range, well that is more down to the driver's ability to drive smoothly. I can very easily better manufacturers mpg claims on an ICE car if I want to and still drive at the speed limit, it's all about reading the road ahead and being smooth on acceleration and limiting braking to a minimum and using the gears correctly. I can get from A to B a lot quicker and significantly economically then my wife in the same car on the same journey.
2022 Advance in Crystal Black Pearl on 17's - 08/2020-Current
2015 VW Tiguan (Pure White) - 04/2018-Current
1991 Honda Beat PP1 (Festival Red) - 11/2022-Current
Trykpaa

Post by Trykpaa »

Left4Cookies wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 8:25 am Longer than WLTP in city driving? That's interesting! If you won't mind me asking, whereabouts in Denmark are you using it? I'm living and working in Copenhagen, and expect to use it mostly within the city itself and the suburbs, so a more-than-WLTP-range sounds almost too good to be true.
I am from Skanderborg. Range is mainly driven by cruising speed for any electric car. ICE car fuel economy suffers in city driving due to poor engine efficiency at low load (therefore hybrids make sense). Electric cars have a much more constant efficiency so energy goes mainly to drag and rolling resistance + a small amount for auxillery (light, heating..). Only if you have very low speed, will aux consumption affect range considerably because its on for so long.
I haven't tried a full charge in city, as it will take half a day and I have better to do. But going by the display its no big issue using less than 150wh/km. Unless you floor it at every chance of cause 😉

Where range matter to me is cost and time spend. Here in DK it can be super expensive to rapid charge (5,5dkk/kwh) where as home is about 1dkk/kwh. So if you don't have a place for a home charger or similar convenience I believe you risk spending an awfull lot of time or money charging. We plug it in almost every day at home and don't have to worry about it.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post