Which Octopus Energy tariffs for car charging:

Octoput/Go or
Agile-Octopus

Anybody use them?
Thanks
Peter

5thcivic

Post by 5thcivic »

I'm with Octopus on a cheaper fix at the moment. I don't charge the car enough to justify a special rate but have worked out some figures for my use.
Agile is still variable but you need to know in advance when the best times of least usage is going to happen to maximise your savings, more difficult.
Go is cheap from 00:30 to 4:30 in the morning so must charge then at something like 7p a unit instead of something like 27p a normal unit. You would have to calculate your normal useage at Go normal rates to check you don't pay more compared to the the saving at car charging, but you could also use the dishwasher and washing machine at midnight I suppose.
Fortunatus

Post by Fortunatus »

Thanks 5thcivic for your reply , you've confirmed my own thoughts so far.
5thcivic

Post by 5thcivic »

I did see some comments about Go having a compatible list for cars and chargers, but can't see how this would matter if all they are doing is programming the smart meter, and the time is the price factor. But apparently you have to put your EV or charger into the Octopus app, and the app decides when to charge at cheapest, so maybe you can't save on your dishwasher after all?
Fortunatus

Post by Fortunatus »

Thanks again for this insight
milligoon

Post by milligoon »

Octopus GO 0030-0430 9p/kWh
Octopus GO intelligent 2330-0530 7.5p/kWh + other controlled cheaper sessions - requires compatible EV or charger you tell the system when you want your car charge by and to what %
Both of these have standard day rate of around 30p out side of the above timings.
Agile you get told the rates in 1/2 hour slots for the next day in advance some chargers will work with octopus API to charge at cheapest timings

For GO intelligent Honda e not compatible so you have to have one of three chargers that work with it, Ohme Home Pro, Home ePod and MyEnergi Zappi
Ex e owner
5thcivic

Post by 5thcivic »

That's the problem, standard charging is more expensive, nearly 2p a unit more in my area, so you have to do a lot of EV charging to be better off.