Door Handles

Faults and Technical chat for the Honda E
SuperRocket61

Post by SuperRocket61 »

Motor Ombudsman vs Sale of Goods Act 2015? Ideally I would prefer to get the door handle unit changed immediately at my expense and seek a refund. The Motor Ombudsman gets very mixed reviews on Trust Pilot for effectiveness. But it seems to be free. Enforcing the Sale of Goods Act would involve a Small Claims Court where there could be costs and damages. I worry that either body will see 'Door Handles' in the list of exclusions for the Extended Warranty and immediately say 'no case to answer'. To explain that the fault is not with the external door handle but electrical components bundled with it might be a stretch. Even if you win the case, enforcement seems to be patchy.

Has anyone determined whether the replacemet door handles have been modified? I guess this would add strength to the argument.

01e

Post by 01e »

SuperRocket61 wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 11:43 am To explain that the fault is not with the external door handle but electrical components bundled with it might be a stretch.
Based on my experience and write-up here - viewtopic.php?t=1514 - this would be a greater struggle because it is essentially the external mechanism that is ‘at fault’.

Though I do wholeheartedly agree with the sentiment that this is a design/manufacturing flaw and that Honda should be providing extended coverage (or, even better, a proper fix) for it.

But that being said, if the symptoms are the same a what I describe in that post, I’d encourage people out of warranty and facing big charges from Honda to either take the door handle out/apart themselves, or to share what I wrote to a competent independent mechanic and ask them to take a look.
SuperRocket61

Post by SuperRocket61 »

Thanks for your reply. I have not had the opportunity to study the module but from the reports on this (excellent) forum there seem to be two different faults; a) lubrication/spring tension of the pop-out handle and b) one or both electrical switches. Both appear to be vulnerable to water ingress and perhaps adjustment issues. My drivers door suffered from the former and now my passenger suffers from the latter. The dealer has no interest in the nature of the fault and just changes the entire £550 (retail) module.
EEEE

Post by EEEE »

I would say there are a couple of other parts of the mech that could be at fault. There is a black idler gear that meshes with the main waxy white lever. I cannot tell if this is just an idler, or a damper. Also, there is a spring loaded retainer, which keeps the handle popped out until the motor retracts and depresses it. The idea is that the motor simply 'releases' the catch, and the spring returns the handle to rest.

I will soon be testing a spare handle to destruction. As soon as the 4way relay board turns up, I will be able to make an H bridge driver for the motor, and can then use an arduino to actuate it back and forth whilst monitoring the microswitches, until failure. A little project for the half term should keep me busy.
'21 e Advance - Charge Yellow - E1702RR alloys
'17 Civic Sport CVT
'00 Prelude 2.2VTi
SuperRocket61

Post by SuperRocket61 »

EEEE wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 8:35 am I will soon be testing a spare handle to destruction.
This sounds excellent, thanks. Some hard facts about the nature of the problem(s) is desperately needed. I currently have the internal 'door clicking' symptom but have not yet been able check if it is related to the window popping down and/or the door not properly shut... or something else. It doesn't always perform to order.
Isotope Toast

Post by Isotope Toast »

I recently had my 12v battery die. Was at the dealership two days ago so they could check it out - battery is fine and in good condition.

I also told reported that the passenger side door clicks somewhat often when first starting out and that sometimes the window only goes back into its full up position after closing the door in micromillimeters. Not every time, but often enough that I notice it. He said that has nothing to do with the 12v battery dying, but that I do need a new passenger door handle.

Usually, to stop the window/door click issues, I just lock the doors, move the window down and back up, or open and close the door. One of those usually seems to do the trick.
londiniumperson

Post by londiniumperson »

Isotope Toast wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 12:47 pm Usually, to stop the window/door click issues, I just lock the doors, move the window down and back up, or open and close the door. One of those usually seems to do the trick.
I'd recommend getting it fixed sooner rather than later because when those 'tricks' fail to temporarily resolve it, it might be at a really inconvenient time.
Also the sooner that it's done, the more likely you can get a second replacement whilst still under warranty, I've been there & got the t-shirt ;)
2020 Advance in Crystal Black Pearl on 17's - 08/2020-Current
2015 VW Tiguan (Pure White) - 04/2018-Current
1991 Honda Beat PP1 (Festival Red) - 11/2022-Current
stefruit

Post by stefruit »

Did any Honda garage test for anyone fault codes before they replaced the door handle.

Having put up with annoying 'doomph' noise and relay click every time I drive, for 7 weeks.
It decided today to work ok, the day I went to my local Honda garage ( 27 Feb ).

All that came up was 2 fault codes
B25A7 - interior near field comms antenna error
B2375rain light sensor
I did record the clicking noise but forgot to record a video of the door.

I`m waiting for Honda to get back to garage to see what can be done.
londiniumperson

Post by londiniumperson »

stefruit wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 8:29 pm Did any Honda garage test for anyone fault codes before they replaced the door handle.

Having put up with annoying 'doomph' noise and relay click every time I drive, for 7 weeks.
It decided today to work ok, the day I went to my local Honda garage ( 27 Feb ).

B2375rain light sensor

As far as I am aware there are no fault codes reported for this issue.

I had to endure many many months of this, numerous emails, phone calls, visits with videos before they agreed there was an issue.
Hopefully you won't have to endure the protracted annoyance that I had to, now that this is a known issue.
They eventually replaced the drivers door handle a second time after I had threatened to return the car as not fit for purpose under the consumer rights act, unless they resolved the issue.
2020 Advance in Crystal Black Pearl on 17's - 08/2020-Current
2015 VW Tiguan (Pure White) - 04/2018-Current
1991 Honda Beat PP1 (Festival Red) - 11/2022-Current
EEEE

Post by EEEE »

stefruit wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 8:29 pm Did any Honda garage test for anyone fault codes before they replaced the door handle.

B2375rain light sensor

No fault codes are logged (I checked this myself). Our best guess is water gets into the microswitches in the door handle mech and this confuses the body control module into thinking you are opening the door/handle so it tries to drop/raise the window or pop the handle back in (there are numerous fault scenarios).

The door handle has some breather holes at the top edge, a jet wash or hose will easily get water inside the handle mech, and directly below these holes are the microswitches that sense the handle being pulled out past the open position.

If possible, try to prevent water ingress to the door handle area. I doubt driving for 2 hours with the heating and aircon on full blast will do much to dry the handle mech out as its quite insulated (In some sense of the word).
'21 e Advance - Charge Yellow - E1702RR alloys
'17 Civic Sport CVT
'00 Prelude 2.2VTi

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post