Range and charging rate.

Faults and Technical chat for the Honda E
iHansz

Post by iHansz »

Trykpaa wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 2:03 pm We plug it in almost every day at home and don't have to worry about it.
Lucky you! Live in an apartment complex with a very large parking garage underneath, but the association of owners (ie the residents) do not want more electric cars in the parking garage. There are already 2 Jaguars, various Teslas (model S, 3 and X) and a few Hyundai's. They are afraid of fires. Is a hot item here now in the Netherlands. A popular consumer program on TV has shown what can happen if an electric car catches fire. Incidentally it happened a few times over here (Audi eTron and Tesla S). That's why I have to load my e on the street. There are enough charging stations and more will come in the coming years. But would rather have my car inside the garage. Can also load my e at work, but is within cycling distance and now by covid19 we have to work at home ... (luxury problems I know :geek: ).
Dutch Advance in Charge Yellow on 17"
1st registered Oct 2020
Home charger: public charging stations only

Reuben80

Post by Reuben80 »

Hi Trykpaa,

Sorry off topic but can you tell me please if any of the 4 usb sockets keep charging when the car is completely off please?
Trykpaa

Post by Trykpaa »

Reuben80 wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 5:08 pm Hi Trykpaa,

Sorry off topic but can you tell me please if any of the 4 usb sockets keep charging when the car is completely off please?
Nerdy question 🤔 I had to try. USBs are not powered when car is off.

However. You can leave the car off, but powered on. It will ask you when you leave the car, if it should stay on. Car will be locked as normally.
Reuben80

Post by Reuben80 »

Hehe :) thank you. I wished at least 1 usb worked even when off and locked. I could have left things charging inside or connect gps tracker etc.
Trykpaa

Post by Trykpaa »

Update/getting wiser/still learning:
Regarding range, I realized an important aspect this week. WLTP comsumption and range doesn't go together in real life. WLTP consumption is around 159Wh/km. Range claimed 220km. 159*220=35kWh which is the size of the battery. However available battery size is 28-29kWh (read 28,6 somewhere) hence 'available range' is 28,6/0,159=174km.

If you want to go 220km on a charge average comsumption must be reduced to 130Wh/km which probably is possible but not doable in normal trafic.

My previous post, I focused on the 159Wh/km which is easily doable, even in sport mode with climate control and no preheating as long as you stay of the motorway.

Bottom line, Honda E range is 174km, not 220km. Its fine with me though I think less of Honda for not informing me about this 'detail'.
Rei

Post by Rei »

That must be a mistake, if they are claiming 35kWh usable battery and not delivering that you should ask for compensation.
iHansz

Post by iHansz »

Trykpaa wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 1:35 pm
Bottom line, Honda E range is 174km, not 220km. Its fine with me though I think less of Honda for not informing me about this 'detail'.
That is exactly what Discover EV also indicates! https://www.discoverev.co.uk/ev-reviews/honda-e-review That is also sufficient for me.
Dutch Advance in Charge Yellow on 17"
1st registered Oct 2020
Home charger: public charging stations only
Left4Cookies

Post by Left4Cookies »

Rei wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 1:54 pm That must be a mistake, if they are claiming 35kWh usable battery and not delivering that you should ask for compensation.
But do any BEV have the specified battery size as “usable”? Don’t they all have some kind of buffer or whatever? The e-tron for example only has about 83 on it’s 95kwh battery. That’s an equal percentage reduction as the Honda.
Rei

Post by Rei »

But the WLTP range is supposed to be determined by testing on a production spec car so it shouldn't be able to use the whole battery.
rickwookie

Post by rickwookie »

Rei wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 8:53 pm But the WLTP range is supposed to be determined by testing on a production spec car so it shouldn't be able to use the whole battery.
Yes, either during the WLTP test cycle they achieved the 137 miles (or whatever it was) from the same “available” capacity as is on the standard production vehicle, or Honda are scamming us.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post