Range and charging rate.

Faults and Technical chat for the Honda E
rickwookie

Post by rickwookie »

Left4Cookies wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 5:51 pm
Rei wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 1:54 pm That must be a mistake, if they are claiming 35kWh usable battery and not delivering that you should ask for compensation.
But do any BEV have the specified battery size as “usable”? Don’t they all have some kind of buffer or whatever? The e-tron for example only has about 83 on it’s 95kwh battery. That’s an equal percentage reduction as the Honda.
Not even. 83/95 is still 87%, 28.6/35.5 is only 80%. That’s significantly lower. I’d be much happier having 31 kWh useable!

Rei

Post by Rei »

Left4Cookies wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 5:51 pm But do any BEV have the specified battery size as “usable”?
Yes, both Kia and Hyundai sell their batteries as 39/64kWh usable and people have confirmed you can get that much from them.
Rei

Post by Rei »

rickwookie wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 12:58 am
Rei wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 8:53 pm But the WLTP range is supposed to be determined by testing on a production spec car so it shouldn't be able to use the whole battery.
Yes, either during the WLTP test cycle they achieved the 137 miles (or whatever it was) from the same “available” capacity as is on the standard production vehicle, or Honda are scamming us.
The Wh/km should match the available capacity and WLTP range.
Trykpaa

Post by Trykpaa »

I quess its industry standard or WLTP instruction to base range on installed battery capacity rather than available capacity. I see both Audi and BMW/Mini does the same.

Tesla on the other hand gives the custumer access to almost all the battery, but provides a warning about fully charging and emptying the battery to avoid premature failure.
Where Teslas see a reduction in range as battery degrades, Honda claim the car will always have the same capacity, so I guess they reduce the buffer to compensate for degradation.

Its kind of similar to fuel tank size on ICE cars. My Civic has 48l tank size, but when I get 0km left and turtle/limp mode it will only take 45l. It will continue on limp mode for quite a while - never found the limit where it stops, but I know its somewhere in the software 😉
londiniumperson

Post by londiniumperson »

Trykpaa wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 4:22 pm ...
Its kind of similar to fuel tank size on ICE cars. My Civic has 48l tank size, but when I get 0km left and turtle/limp mode it will only take 45l. It will continue on limp mode for quite a while - never found the limit where it stops, but I know its somewhere in the software 😉
That's only occurs in diesel cars, not petrol because running a modern diesel engine dry can catastrophic engine damage.
2022 Advance in Crystal Black Pearl on 17's - 08/2020-Current
2015 VW Tiguan (Pure White) - 04/2018-Current
1991 Honda Beat PP1 (Festival Red) - 11/2022-Current
Rei

Post by Rei »

Main rival the Mini Electric is extremely efficient! It's as good as the old Ioniq or the Model 3.

147 miles range compared to 117 for the e. 30.3kWh usable battery.
rickwookie

Post by rickwookie »

Rei wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 4:33 pm

Main rival the Mini Electric is extremely efficient! It's as good as the old Ioniq or the Model 3.

147 miles range compared to 117 for the e. 30.3kWh usable battery.
Makes a mockery of the camera mirror system when you can stick conventional mirrors on a car and have it go 25% further. Which brings us back to... what the hell did Honda do to make the car SO inefficient???
bogga

Post by bogga »

Maybe its' the motors, tyre choice, battery type, draggy shape, weight... or all.
Reuben80

Post by Reuben80 »

All the monitors, cameras, radars, sensors will definitely help to reduce the efficiency. Up to which extent we would need an OBDII data extractor to know but the problem is that Honda keeps their extended PIDs secret so it is going to be very hard to know.
RAL7004

Post by RAL7004 »

Reuben80 wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 7:48 am All the monitors, cameras, radars, sensors will definitely help to reduce the efficiency. Up to which extent we would need an OBDII data extractor to know but the problem is that Honda keeps their extended PIDs secret so it is going to be very hard to know.
In this context: What kind of technical gadgets can be switched off while driving?
Can the entire screen wall (apart from the rear-view "mirrors" and the speedometer) be deactivated?

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post