Importing Honda e to New Zealand (questions for any UK owners!)

All Honda E related discussions
dbkiwi

Post by dbkiwi »

Hello,

Honda isn’t bringing the Honda e to New Zealand - which means I’ll need to import one myself from the UK if I want to own this car down under! I’ve imported a car from the UK before so I see this as an acceptable challenge!

I see the biggest hurdles are servicing (not too fussed, think could get this carried out here), software updates, and mobile connectivity.

Questions for anyone who is in a position to help me!

- will the Honda e connect to home Wi-Fi and download any software updates etc, or is a UK cellular connection required for this? I’m concerned any built-in mobile SIM won’t work in NZ i.e. the car will freak out it’s not in the UK and refuse to update.

- will Apple Car play likely work for me? Should do right...will just connect to my phone which is connected to the Internet?

- assume the built in maps software won’t work outside of UK/Europe...but can anyone confirm? The car is coming to Japan so maybe it has maps for the whole world?

Any help would be appreciated. I love this little car :D

Reuben80

Post by Reuben80 »

For updates you need to be connected to the Wifi so that is not a problem. You won't be able to use the app, not even open/start the car with NFC.
You cannot change the sim because it is an esim. Apple car play should work if you have the app installed on the phone. I don't think it will have the maps of New Zealand. Better use Apple Car play for maps or use a phone. Problems are parts in case of accidents.
keithr

Post by keithr »

dbkiwi wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 7:29 am - will the Honda e connect to home Wi-Fi and download any software updates etc, or is a UK cellular connection required for this?
According to the Owners' manual, the audio systems firware updates can be performed over the telematics control unit, via a WiFi connection or using a USB device. The instructions for using a USB memory stick are:

USB.jpg

iHansz

Post by iHansz »

Hopefully the system can send the Report file to Honda. See attachment. In any case, one thing doesn't work at all and that is eCall. See: https://ec.europa.eu/transport/themes/i ... n/ecall_en. No idea if that's a problem.

Honda.JPG

Dutch Advance in Charge Yellow on 17"
1st registered Oct 2020
Home charger: public charging stations only
dbkiwi

Post by dbkiwi »

Thanks team! Much appreciated :) Sounds like:

- updating via Wifi should be OK
- it’s eSim, so I’ll never get mobile connectivity working
- CarPlay and Apple Maps should work fine via my phone
- The App won’t work

The App is something I hadn’t considered. I should probably look into this :/ sounds like an important part of the car!

Does anyone recommend a dealer near London or Southhampton that is good to deal with? Is there much of a wait list this year?

Thanks for all the awesome help :)
rickwookie

Post by rickwookie »

dbkiwi wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 12:45 pm Thanks team! Much appreciated :) Sounds like:

- updating via Wifi should be OK
- it’s eSim, so I’ll never get mobile connectivity working
- CarPlay and Apple Maps should work fine via my phone
- The App won’t work

The App is something I hadn’t considered. I should probably look into this :/ sounds like an important part of the car!

Does anyone recommend a dealer near London or Southhampton that is good to deal with? Is there much of a wait list this year?

Thanks for all the awesome help :)
Hi dbkiwi

I don't think the app is critical. Not having it will only mean you can't remotely control the pre-heating/cooling and charge schedule, but you can schedule both from the in-car system any way. As for the phone-unlock/start thing, while I admit that I now use my Apple Watch for contactless payment all the time , rather than taking my wallet out, I can't imagine having to have on your person one of the two keys the car will come with whenever you want to use the car a major hurdle, as that's the only implication of not having it!

As for London dealers, while I can't vouch for Chiswick Honda specifically, I can certainly say that one of the other two dealers in the same group - Norton Way Honda - have been very pro-active, helpful and friendly.
Reuben80

Post by Reuben80 »

You can also start the air conditioning with the keyfob if you have the car parked close enough.
dbkiwi

Post by dbkiwi »

rickwookie wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:33 am Hi dbkiwi

I don't think the app is critical. Not having it will only mean you can't remotely control the pre-heating/cooling and charge schedule, but you can schedule both from the in-car system any way. As for the phone-unlock/start thing, while I admit that I now use my Apple Watch for contactless payment all the time , rather than taking my wallet out, I can't imagine having to have on your person one of the two keys the car will come with whenever you want to use the car a major hurdle, as that's the only implication of not having it!

As for London dealers, while I can't vouch for Chiswick Honda specifically, I can certainly say that one of the other two dealers in the same group - Norton Way Honda - have been very pro-active, helpful and friendly.
Hi Rick!

I think you’re right and you’ve given me confidence to take the next step. The app doesn’t sound vital, and so long as my car can connect to both wifi for updates plus Apple Car Play on the move, I think I will successfully enjoy most of the benefits the car provides. Thanks for the tip on Chiswick as being part of the group you purchased from - I’ve sent them a message now - I really hope they can help! Thanks again
Reuben80

Post by Reuben80 »

Shipping from Japan to UK and back to New Zealand, that would be the longest trip for a car after Elon's roadster....
dbkiwi

Post by dbkiwi »

Reuben80 wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:53 pm Shipping from Japan to UK and back to New Zealand, that would be the longest trip for a car after Elon's roadster....
Haha yea you’re right. I feel a little bad about that. I’ve asked Honda NZ and they have no plans to sell the car here sadly. A couple of years ago I imported a 1986 Toyota MR2 from the UK to NZ and it was relatively painless. Hopefully I didn’t get lucky and a Honda e will also go smoothly. Is there much of a waiting list?

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post