3 pin Plug

All Honda E related discussions
advance2020

Post by advance2020 »

Maybe not a major concern for many (keen gamers excepted) but worth checking when you take delivery, esp. if you have ordered a Charge Yellow!

This is from my twitter feed. These guys are in Portsmouth, I think.
They will have a problem renting out their e to anyone use to driving Toyota/Lexus.
You know that they will expecting a self-charging BEV and will need the 3 pin to plug in the trickle charger.

18 August update
Volt-Age say they have Basic version, and it has no 3pin socket. Assume they must be one of the first in UK to get a Basic delivered and on the road.

A0C7435D-6E09-451C-82FB-254171511A46.jpeg

Last edited by advance2020 on Tue Aug 18, 2020 9:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Platinum White Pearl: e-driving green at last, on R17 Michelin Pilot Sport
A fan of One Pedal Driving max >>> and physical buttons

tim.uk

Post by tim.uk »

According to the brochure, it is only fitted in the Advance.
Reuben80

Post by Reuben80 »

The Standard does not have the 230V outlet, Pilot Parking, Heated steering wheel, Centre camera mirror system and 17 inch wheels.
Toyota Hybrids are self charging because they do not need to be plugged in. You switch on the engine and they charge. If you understand it otherwise it's your problem.
ChesterUK

Post by ChesterUK »

Standard also doesn't get:
  • Blind Spot Information incl. Cross Traffic Monitor
  • Door Mirrors - Multi View Camera System
  • Heated Windshield - full glass area heated
  • Front Windshield De-icer (Wipers)
  • 8 Speakers - Premium Audio, Audio System of 376W Power (W), Subwoofer
If shaving 0.7 seconds off 0-62 times, and none of these extra items matter to you, save your money and go for Standard. However, if you're buying (not PCP or PCH) and residuals therefore come into play, definitely go for Advance!
keithr

Post by keithr »

advance2020 wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 9:01 pm You know that they will expecting a self-charging BEV and will need the 3 pin to plug in the trickle charger.
I think this is confusing people (maybe me too!). It seems to me that @voltagehire is saying that the car didn't come with the Portable Electric Vehicle Supply Equipment (P-EVSE) mode 2 cable that allows you to plug into a domestic 3-pin socket to charge the car's Li-ion battery pack, and that is consistent with your comment above and with him saying it's missing a "230v charger", although the "in the front" bit is confusing because the cable would normally be stored in the boot. Your tweet comment of "Would use the 3pin for a hairdryer" and his comment that they have a 'standard Honda e' is confusing people into thinking that they have a 'Honda e' rather than a 'Honda e Advance', and the Honda e doesn't come with the 3-pin socket under the dashboard supplying up to 1.5kW of 230V AC power. I didn't think they had started making the basic (not "standard") Honda e yet, and it's not called the 'Honda e Standard'.

Then again, your comment of "Maybe not a major concern for many (keen gamers excepted)" might imply that you were also confused into thinking of the 3-pin socket inside the car. Clear as mud, right? :?
advance2020

Post by advance2020 »

This thread is getting very twisted. I agree, I don't think the Basic e is available yet in the UK.
Many are still struggling to get delivery of their advance models ordered months ago, if not last year. But just maybe Volt-Age have got one?

The reason I made the comment about Self-Charging etc, is that some clever Journo posted a vlog showing how he had plugged in the Honda trickle charger into the 3 pin socket and plugged the Gun end into the car to show how it can Self-Charge. To combat all the flack about poor range etc, and getting back at Toyota ads - Thought you guys might have seen that. Volt-Age EV hire got it.

But maybe you are right - maybe they are missing their trickle charger, but as they have a several EVs for hire, I would expect them to have a Fast Charger installed. Perhaps people hiring would want the reassurance of having the trickle charger onboard.

Twitter is more instant. Maybe I shouldn't have posted this thread here. Just getting used to the culture of this forum.
Platinum White Pearl: e-driving green at last, on R17 Michelin Pilot Sport
A fan of One Pedal Driving max >>> and physical buttons
ChesterUK

Post by ChesterUK »

Sorry, even more confused then. The 10A Mode 2 P-EVSE cable is a £395 (RRP at least) cost option, not included with the car. A complete rip-off at this price BTW as 3rd party ones can be bought for around £160 (e.g. Masterplug)
rickwookie

Post by rickwookie »

Reuben80 wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 8:38 am Toyota Hybrids are self charging because they do not need to be plugged in. You switch on the engine and they charge. If you understand it otherwise it's your problem.
Wait, are you actually defending Toyota's marketing here?! smh
Reuben80

Post by Reuben80 »

rickwookie wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 6:45 pm
Reuben80 wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 8:38 am Toyota Hybrids are self charging because they do not need to be plugged in. You switch on the engine and they charge. If you understand it otherwise it's your problem.
Wait, are you actually defending Toyota's marketing here?! smh
Yes of course. I don't know why BEV owners hate so much HEV. They are both EVs. Both are great technology and have their own advantages. What Toyota states is all true. We are not saying which is more energy effecient, it's just that you don't need to charge Hybrids by plugging it in. The battery will charge while driving. What is wrong about it?
rickwookie

Post by rickwookie »

Reuben80 wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 7:03 pm What is wrong about it?
Hmm, let me think... maybe it's something to do with having to burn petrol in the internal combustion engine onboard the vehicle in order for the vehicle to be able to "self-charge"?

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post