Battery management cooling when stationary and not plugged in to a charger

All Honda E related discussions
CSX

Post by CSX »

If the car is stationary (and unplugged from a charger) does the battery management system initiate automatically if it detects the pack has increased in temperature (e.g., due to a high ambient temperature for example in summer) or do we need to leave our vehicle plugged into a charging port for this cooling to occur? Relatedly, if a charge limit is set at 80% and the vehicle remains attached to the charger are there any risks to the battery in respect of degradation (i.e., is it better to unplug the vehicle as soon as the charge limit is reached)?

Joolsdc

Post by Joolsdc »

I believe the BMS does it’s thing whether driving along, plugged in or just parked
I’ve come back from driving and parked up and heard a fan running - back in September when it was warm 😋
CSX

Post by CSX »

Thanks Joolsdc, that’s helpful
keithr

Post by keithr »

While the car may continue to cool for a while after coming to a stop (to prevent/reduce heat sink), I'm quite sure that it won't normally be cooling or warming the battery pack when parked and not connected to a charge point. If it did then it would fairly rapidly drain the battery pack, and for long term stoarge it would say you should leave the car plugged in, but it doesn't say that. The Owner's Manual says, "Excessive heat can also damage the battery. On hot, sunny days, try to avoid parking your vehicle under direct sunlight". I don't think it would say that if the car would turn the battery cooling on when parked and if the battery became too warm.

While the manual says that to activate battery warming while parked you need to plug the car into a charge point, it doesn't say that it will activate battery cooling while parked if the battery is too warm. I think that only operates during charging and driving.
CSX

Post by CSX »

Thanks Keithr
londiniumperson

Post by londiniumperson »

I also agree with @keithr's comments.
2022 Advance in Crystal Black Pearl on 17's - 08/2020-Current
2015 VW Tiguan (Pure White) - 04/2018-Current
1991 Honda Beat PP1 (Festival Red) - 11/2022-Current
SwissChris

Post by SwissChris »

If you look at table 2 (almost at the end of the page), you can see some interesting graphics regarding this topic (switch the translation to english on ;)):

http://news.eeworld.com.cn/qrs/ic494986.html
keithr

Post by keithr »

SwissChris wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 6:10 pm If you look at table 2 (almost at the end of the page), you can see some interesting graphics regarding this topic (switch the translation to english on ;)):
Great find. Thanks for posting that link. To make it easier I have copied the table here.

So I think it's saying that when parked it will only warm the battery if it's plugged in, whether the car is turned on or off. If charging it will warm the battery (if needed), but if it's not charging then it will just warm occasionally to prevent the battery getting too cold.

When it's unplugged it will warm the battery (if needed) when you turn the car on, before and during driving. It's target temperature is 25 - 35C.

batteryHC.jpg

battHC.jpg

SwissChris

Post by SwissChris »

Yeah thats also what I understood. The question is: If you preset the heating at a certain time - will the car then also pre-condition the battery? ;)
advance2020

Post by advance2020 »

A coincidence, but I went out for a short drive today and decided to charge my battery for an hour or so prior. It seemed that I got slightly better economy on this very short journey. AVG was 3.3 rather than 3.0 that I have been getting lately. I had assumed this was because my battery was warmed up.
I will try this again in future (cold weather) prior to short trips as I'm on a Fixed Tariff, and have no Smart meter.
Platinum White Pearl: e-driving green at last, on R17 Michelin Pilot Sport
A fan of One Pedal Driving max >>> and physical buttons

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post