Annoying rattle in the overhead switch cluster

Faults and Technical chat for the Honda E
tcg68

Post by tcg68 »

My car has developed an annoying rattle in the overhead switch cluster. I can make it go away by pressing on the plastic towards the back close to the sunroof. Anyone else getting something similar?

Wee Peem

Post by Wee Peem »

Have a look at topic called "the e has landed." There are a few of us with same problem.
rickwookie

Post by rickwookie »

...because the search on here is terrible, here's a handy link to the relevant part of the thread where it's first discussed: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=369&start=10#p3805
advance2020

Post by advance2020 »

I have posted similar before, but not sure where, on topic of noise/rattle.

I don't currently have any problems, but when the weather was warmer, and I was using Sun visor a lot, I did notice a minor noise. My daughter was in the car, and she helped me pinpoint it to the Sun visor. If it was tilted down slightly from being stowed up to the roof lining, it would rattle or buzz. Could be the small door that hides mirror inside visor. Noise stopped if pressed to roof lining. But I haven't heard it recently.

One thought: When I was a Design Director of a small company Spinlock, one of my roles was Quality Control of New Products. Keith, our Production Manager, had a wonderful phase he used for minor problems that occurred that we couldn't quite resolve or reliably repeat. He called it "newness" - I doubt this is actually in the dictionary, but aptly describes problems that seem to disappear after a while, when a product "settles in" after use.

So let's hope any rattles disappear over time, rather than get worse.
Platinum White Pearl: e-driving green at last, on R17 Michelin Pilot Sport
A fan of One Pedal Driving max >>> and physical buttons
keithr

Post by keithr »

tcg68 wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 9:37 am My car has developed an annoying rattle in the overhead switch cluster. I can make it go away by pressing on the plastic towards the back close to the sunroof. Anyone else getting something similar?
Yes. I just discovered today that I can temporarily stop the rattle by pressing at the rearmost edge of the unit, close to the sunblind, as in the picture below. I'm guessing that's the same spot as you pressed to stop the rattle in your car too. I was previously pressing behind the mirror (windscreen side), but that didn't stop it rattling.

mirror.jpg

tcg68

Post by tcg68 »

keithr wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 1:01 pm
tcg68 wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 9:37 am My car has developed an annoying rattle in the overhead switch cluster. I can make it go away by pressing on the plastic towards the back close to the sunroof. Anyone else getting something similar?
Yes. I just discovered today that I can temporarily stop the rattle by pressing at the rearmost edge of the unit, close to the sunblind, as in the picture below. I'm guessing that's the same spot as you pressed to stop the rattle in your car too. I was previously pressing behind the mirror (windscreen side), but that didn't stop it rattling.
Yes, I can confirm that this is the area that I find pressing on removes the noise.
keithr

Post by keithr »

I've just discovered that when I pull the sunblind back the rattle will start, but if I close the sunblind the rattle stops. I guess I'll be driving with the blind closed most of the time from now on!
darrenj1

Post by darrenj1 »

This rattling is getting beyond a joke now. I will be calling the dealer tomorrow, I'm not keeping the car with this incessant noise, id rather change car.
bogga

Post by bogga »

darrenj1 wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:24 pm This rattling is getting beyond a joke now. I will be calling the dealer tomorrow, I'm not keeping the car with this incessant noise, id rather change car.
Let me know if you find out what the dealer does to fix it?
Nebrog23

Post by Nebrog23 »

I had this in a civic. I just unclipped the light covers and then unScrewed it from the roof lining and it was the wire tapping against the lining and roof. I just wrapped it in foam and it never did it again. I’m not sure how easy it is to unmount the interior lights.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post