Advice on the best way to view Netflix, Amazon Prime, etc

All Honda E related discussions
Larbor

Post by Larbor »

I hope you folks have unlimited mobile data that doesn’t get speed-capped.

AdamM94

Post by AdamM94 »

londiniumperson wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 1:19 pm
Reuben80 wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 12:57 pm
londiniumperson wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 4:14 pm Or how about a Google TV
IMG_20210314_155116.jpg
I have also google tv and there is no need to plug it with the 230V plug. Just plug it using the left usb of the car. It looks better and works normally.
If you've got it flaunt it :lol:
Using the 3 pin socket allows me to turn it on/off and use the main traction battery when I want to rather than have it powered on all of the time via the 12v battery.
Does the USB port use the 12v battery? Might have to think about unplugging the firestick if that's the case. Would hate to come back to a dead car because it's been downloading updates to YouTube while it's sitting in the driveway
renedekat wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 2:05 pm I hope you folks have unlimited mobile data that doesn’t get speed-capped.
Because the screens are relatively low resolution you can lower streaming quality, so it doesn't use as much data as you'd maybe expect.
londiniumperson

Post by londiniumperson »

The USB ports do use the 12v battery, however these are no longer powered soon after the car is powered off.
2022 Advance in Crystal Black Pearl on 17's - 08/2020-Current
2015 VW Tiguan (Pure White) - 04/2018-Current
1991 Honda Beat PP1 (Festival Red) - 11/2022-Current
Reuben80

Post by Reuben80 »

londiniumperson wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 1:19 pm
Reuben80 wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 12:57 pm
londiniumperson wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 4:14 pm Or how about a Google TV
IMG_20210314_155116.jpg
I have also google tv and there is no need to plug it with the 230V plug. Just plug it using the left usb of the car. It looks better and works normally.
If you've got it flaunt it :lol:
Using the 3 pin socket allows me to turn it on/off and use the main traction battery when I want to rather than have it powered on all of the time via the 12v battery.
You can unplug the usb and don't have it powered all the time. It is the same as pressing the button.
Minky92

Post by Minky92 »

Fire TV stick paired to my phone's internet has worked great so far, nice for catching up on YouTube at drive thru. ​Only problem is having it always sat in the HDMI slot does make putting my phone into the pouch a little fiddlier... They need to hurry up and get wireless Android Auto support patched in!
Highanddry

Post by Highanddry »

Quick question on this, if i may,

Would it not be easier to connect your iPhone with an HMDI adapter, rather than using a Fire TV stick or similar?
What made you pick this solution?

HDMI can only be at one screen right at the same time, in an extended form?

Thanks!
iHansz

Post by iHansz »

Highanddry wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 11:10 am Quick question on this, if i may,

Would it not be easier to connect your iPhone with an HMDI adapter, rather than using a Fire TV stick or similar?

Thanks!
For an iPhone, this also seems to me to be the best solution. As a matter of fact, I do this as well. I do use "Synchronous playback", because otherwise I couldn't get it to work. Probably because it has to go from iOS to Android (=software on the Honda is Android) and Apple doesn't like that. :lol: P.S. I haven't tried Netflix yet, but YouTube, and among other things, works.

As for your other question, HDMI can only be done on one of the two screens, and only when you are standing still. Yes, someone here has managed to get that done, but I think that's too much trouble. :P
Dutch Advance in Charge Yellow on 17"
1st registered Oct 2020
Home charger: public charging stations only
Reuben80

Post by Reuben80 »

Thanks!
I prefer a google Chromecast always plugged in instead of attaching the phone to the HDMI because you have to leave the phone on, lock it in landscape mode, and control it with the phone itself.
With Chromecast you plug it in and forget it + you have a remote control which makes it very easy to control especially while driving. You can even cast from your phone any video by VLC or YouTube etc and then control it with the remote.
ajms0288

Post by ajms0288 »

Thanks!
I bought the genuine Apple HDMI adapter and it would only play sound, no video.
So I bought a Firestick instead, works great, once signed in. I’ll mainly use it for YouTube on ‘busy day’ Instavolt charges, so probably only once a month but at least it’s an option.
Blue Advance 17in. Delivered 11th March 2021. Love it. 1900 miles 3.4m/kWh
Kangoo ZE delivered 1st April 2021. No AC, old school but £150/month plus VAT. 2600 miles 3.9m/kWh
Haaploos

Post by Haaploos »

ajms0288 wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 10:16 pm

Thanks!
I bought the genuine Apple HDMI adapter and it would only play sound, no video.
So I bought a Firestick instead, works great, once signed in. I’ll mainly use it for YouTube on ‘busy day’ Instavolt charges, so probably only once a month but at least it’s an option.

I have also had some problems with the official HDMI adapter where it only plays sound. Had a hard time discovering why it was like this, but I’ve discovered that it may have something to do with the phone also being connected to the car through CarPlay. So disconnecting the phone from the car and then using the adapter seemed to fix it for me. Maybe you should try and see if that it’s the same with yours?
Modern steel advance 17"

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post