Satnav update

Faults and Technical chat for the Honda E
Jy2020

Post by Jy2020 »

Just a heads up, there's an update available from Garmin 2021.10 BEV Europe
Honda E Advance Crystal Blue 17" tyres Urban and protection pack

Jy2020

Post by Jy2020 »

A download of 9.15gb onto a 16gb usb drive, took 2 hours ; then 10 minutes to install onto the car- thankfully all favourites that were saved are intact.
londiniumperson

Post by londiniumperson »

I've had a look at the online installation instructions & it says that it will take up to one hour, during which the Honda navigation system must not be turned off and the whole process completed within 24 hours otherwise it will need to be restarted from the beginning
Note that the car must be powered on and unlocked during this update:
https://support.garmin.com/en-GB/?faq=8 ... WNbfmAyxvA

If anybody gets around to doing this, please let us know how long it took you.

EDIT:
I see that the question has been answered.
2022 Advance in Crystal Black Pearl on 17's - 08/2020-Current
2015 VW Tiguan (Pure White) - 04/2018-Current
1991 Honda Beat PP1 (Festival Red) - 11/2022-Current
MartinC

Post by MartinC »

When I follow the instructions for "If your vehicle is not listed below..." I get to the setting page but there is no Device menu item. Any ideas? Thank in advance.
Jy2020

Post by Jy2020 »

You need to have installed on a pc or phone a copy of Garmin Express; then get a blank 16gb usb drive.
Insert usb into the car, go to sat nav and the 3 dots ... which takes you to settings and update; then the usb will be given a unique identifier. Replace the usb into Garmin Express which will check and if the update is required load it. Its a file of 9.15gb for the Europe 2021 map, took 2 hours on my pc, then back to the car, usb is picked up again through the settings option in nav, it installs in about 10 mins so better to have drive turned on or the 12V battery might suffer.
More details and car files at: https://honda.garmin.com/honda/site;jse ... 7AtDQtCYd8
londiniumperson

Post by londiniumperson »

MartinC wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 3:33 pm When I follow the instructions for "If your vehicle is not listed below..." I get to the setting page but there is no Device menu item. Any ideas? Thank in advance.
I'm not sure what you mean by the device menu, but the basics are:
  • Plug a USB into the right hand socket in the car (UK).
  • On the car's navigation menu, find the update map option and follow the on-screen instructions.
  • Remove the USB and plug into your computer.
  • Download 'Garmin Express'.
  • Select your USB from list and the updated map should download (approx 3hrs).
  • Plug the USB into your car and continue the map update instructions.
    Do NOT power your car off during that last stage above.
There's reference to using to complete all of the above within 24hrs otherwise you'll have to start again from the first step.

BTW - The map download started but failed 5 times is a row for me a couple of days ago so I'll try again later.
2022 Advance in Crystal Black Pearl on 17's - 08/2020-Current
2015 VW Tiguan (Pure White) - 04/2018-Current
1991 Honda Beat PP1 (Festival Red) - 11/2022-Current
Marmite

Post by Marmite »

jy2020, do you see any significant improvement after update??

If I leave it as is, will the dealership update at the annual service time? Won't Honda notify customers this kind of at home update - I can see other Honda cars are listed, those owners keep checking Garmin website from time to time? I mean without this forum I would have no chance to know it (thank you :) !)

I guess I will be able to do it but slightly worried if I mess up & make sat nav/other function unusable & ending back to dealership (...which happened with my previous EV). Or, even if it fail just nothing happen and that's all, so might try it anyway?

Sorry for many question, I'm sitting on the fence atm...
2020 e Advance : Modern Steel Metallic + blue accent :mrgreen:
Man-e

Post by Man-e »

MartinC wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 3:33 pm When I follow the instructions for "If your vehicle is not listed below..." I get to the setting page but there is no Device menu item. Any ideas? Thank in advance.
You need to go to the Settings > Map and Vehicle > Map Updates

The description on the Garmin site is for older Honda models and not Honda e
Jy2020

Post by Jy2020 »

Marmite wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 5:34 am jy2020, do you see any significant improvement after update??

If I leave it as is, will the dealership update at the annual service time? Won't Honda notify customers this kind of at home update - I can see other Honda cars are listed, those owners keep checking Garmin website from time to time? I mean without this forum I would have no chance to know it (thank you :) !)

I guess I will be able to do it but slightly worried if I mess up & make sat nav/other function unusable & ending back to dealership (...which happened with my previous EV). Or, even if it fail just nothing happen and that's all, so might try it anyway?

Sorry for many question, I'm sitting on the fence atm...
Hi Marmite, I only came across it whilst on Garmin Express updating my Garmin watch. The map has included new road building near me (a roundabout on the A69) also some minor additions to charging points. I don't think you can mess things up, either the update works or the map remains the same. Probably your dealer would update at your next service but may make a small charge for doing so......depends if the service Manager wants to keep his customers happy! The directions on the honda.garmin website were very helpful, I suppose it all depends on how much you rely on the satnav.
milligoon

Post by milligoon »

While updating my map database just now, on my drivers display a car was showing infront of my e, moving backwards and forwards I am parked on my drive I wonder if the heat coming of my garage door about a metre away was confusing the Radar sensor? Really odd.
Ex e owner

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post