Digital Services

All Honda E related discussions
iHansz

Post by iHansz »

bogga wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 4:10 pm Meanwhile...

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/ ... er-attack/
:shock: :shock: :shock:
Dutch Advance in Charge Yellow on 17"
1st registered Oct 2020
Home charger: public charging stations only

RAL7004

Post by RAL7004 »

tcg68 wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 7:17 am Interesting that the Honda Digital Key now states "Available for all Honda e customers from 2021". This is one of my most anticipated features - not having to carry around a bulky car-key every time I go out.
I wonder how the delayed feature of a digital key is related to the developments of Apple with regard to NFC car keys (have a look: https://www.theverge.com/2020/6/22/2129 ... -wwdc-2020 and here: https://www.apple.com/apple-events/june-2020/ at minute 25 ff...
Rei

Post by Rei »

I think it's only for NFC tags, not for two way communication like you need for a digital key.

Also apparently widgets are the latest thing like it's 2008 again!
RAL7004

Post by RAL7004 »

I don't understand what you mean: The Honda e obviously uses NFC. The technology presented by Apple, too. Honda now surprisingly says that this feature will not be available for the time being (2021 at the earliest).

My question is: is Honda developing its own solution (I hope not) or are they negotiating with Apple and Google regarding the use of their technology/ interfaces.
Rei

Post by Rei »

Apple phones have NFC but it's very limited. At first it could only be used for Apple Pay and now only for certain specific apps. It's not like on Android where any app can use NFC.

So unless Apple approve Honda's app to unlock the car I don't know if it's possible.

Maybe you are thinking of RFID, this is different.
iHansz

Post by iHansz »

Other carmakers already offer digital keys that have similar functionality, but they’re separate apps, not baked directly into Apple’s operating systems, with all of the advantages that can provide. Having a central place in iOS for car keys could also allow you to keep digital keys for multiple cars in one place. Once you’ve paired your iPhone or Apple Watch with a car that supports Car Key, if you want to unlock your car, you’ll just need to hold your Apple device near an NFC reader that’s in your car (for example, in the car’s door handle). You’ll be asked to authenticate with Face ID or Touch ID before the car unlocks, or you can set up Express Mode to skip biometric authentication. Apple's Car Key could be using the Car Connectivity Consortium’s Digital Key Release 2.0 specification, see https://global-carconnectivity.org/wp-c ... ey_2.0.pdf, in which you can read this: "The CCC member companies consisting of smartphone and vehicle manufacturers, automotive tier-1 suppliers, silicon/chip vendors, security product suppliers, and more. The Board of Directors of CCC includes individuals from charter member companies Apple, BMW, General Motors, Honda, Hyundai, LG, Panasonic, Samsung and Volkswagen." BMW has probably paid Apple more to be the first one and Honda will follow next year. :ugeek:

025_o.jpg

024_o.jpg

1st registered Oct 2020
Rei

Post by Rei »

Not sure I wouldn't also carry the key in case my phone has an issue or the battery dies.

Actually seems like the key is more convenient because it supports keyless entry. No need to get it out, just open the door.
iHansz

Post by iHansz »

Rei wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 1:29 pm Not sure I wouldn't also carry the key in case my phone has an issue or the battery dies.

Actually seems like the key is more convenient because it supports keyless entry. No need to get it out, just open the door.
"Apple: Even if it shuts down because of a flat battery, the iPhone’s reserve power supply allows users to use the digital key for five more hours." ;)

But you are right, I also see it more as a gimmick.
1st registered Oct 2020
RAL7004

Post by RAL7004 »

Rei wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 1:29 pm Actually seems like the key is more convenient because it supports keyless entry. No need to get it out, just open the door.

I assume, the Apple/Car Connectivity Consortium’s Digital Key solution is much safer with respect to "relay theft".
Personally, the phone based Digital Key is a proper feature, not a gimmick. I'm used to this kind of approach due to the apps of various car-sharing providers...
RAL7004

Post by RAL7004 »

iHansz wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 1:24 pm Apple's Car Key could be using the Car Connectivity Consortium’s Digital Key Release 2.0 specification, see https://global-carconnectivity.org/wp-c ... ey_2.0.pdf, in which you can read this: "The CCC member companies consisting of smartphone and vehicle manufacturers, automotive tier-1 suppliers, silicon/chip vendors, security product suppliers, and more. The Board of Directors of CCC includes individuals from charter member companies Apple, BMW, General Motors, Honda, Hyundai, LG, Panasonic, Samsung and Volkswagen." BMW has probably paid Apple more to be the first one and Honda will follow next year. :ugeek:

Wow – thank you very much for all this information!

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post