*GARMIN SATNAV UPDATE - FIXED UPDATE HAS RE-APPEARED - GET IT WHILE IT'S HOT!!!*

Faults and Technical chat for the Honda E
rickwookie

Post by rickwookie »

Ok this is wank.

According to here: https://support.garmin.com/en-GB/?faq=w ... 6pBR31utL6 I'm supposed to:
1. Plug the USB flash drive into the vehicle

2. Touch Navigation

3. Touch the menu button (3 dots) in the upper right corner

4. Touch Settings

5. Touch Map & Vehicle

6. Touch Update Maps

7. Touch Start Map Update Process

8. Follow the onscreen prompts
Problem is, when I do that I see this:

IMG_2480.JPG

yet looking at the myMaps entry in the settings menu I get:

IMG_2481.JPG

IMG_2482.JPG

IMG_2483.JPG

So other than weirdly having the 2010 Cyprus map stil along with the 2021 versionl (is this part of the issue I wonder?) all maps are 2021.

I'm wondering then, either the previous update didn't fully complete, or you just have to force it by formatting the USB stick first, which seems to be a bit naff considering they don't mention this on the website. Could it also be because this "update", if it is one, is using the exact same version number?

Could someone else try and see if they get the same result?

rickwookie

Post by rickwookie »

Ok, so TLDR *THIS UPDATE FIXES THE NAV!*

After reading this https://www.passportforums.com/threads/ ... 322/page-2 I concluded that a format of the USB stick was the way to go.

First issue: Garmin Express then thinks your car has the same version (obviously SOMETHING had indicated to it that there was an update in the first place today, but it can't seem to distinguish between the updated version and the one we put on the car last week, from the data that gets written to the formatted stick by the car).

2021-05-25 (6).png

Just click 'Map Options' then 'Reinstall Map' to bypass this.

2021-05-25 (7).png

Anyway, after about 20 mins or so, you should be back in the car doing the update...

IMG_2485.JPG

with some fascinating % complete numbers along the way! :lol:

IMG_2490.JPG

and done after only about 10 mins

IMG_2491.JPG

Nav all seems to work now, and I'm again reminded after playing with it a bit just how rubbish it is anyway! :lol:
milligoon

Post by milligoon »

Pretty sure 2021.10 was the version I already did last month? Will see later?
Ex e owner
rickwookie

Post by rickwookie »

milligoon wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 1:45 pm Pretty sure 2021.10 was the version I already did last month? Will see later?
Indeed it was, but it appears that only refers to the map date (no idea what the 10 signifies) and even Garmin Express can't distinguish between the borked version and this fixed one (see edited first post of this thread).

Fwiw, the old version was 9.15 GB and the new one 9.17 GB 🤷‍♂️

2021-05-25 (3).png

2021-05-25 (13).png

milligoon

Post by milligoon »

I have just done mine and it does appear they have sorted out the flakyness.

One thing I noted although in Garmin Express both the old and the new version said 2021.10 in the car it said I was running on 2020 maps?

Also that is a little odd while installing the completion bar went over 178% in mine.

If the rest of you guys are a little unsure give us a few days to report back on whether it is stable out on the road etc (but it looks good tbh)
Ex e owner
rickwookie

Post by rickwookie »

milligoon wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 4:43 pm One thing I noted although in Garmin Express both the old and the new version said 2021.10 in the car it said I was running on 2020 maps?
Where did you see this? On mine, other than that odd thing with the Cyprus map having both the 2010 and the 2021 map, all the other files were 2021.
Also that is a little odd while installing the completion bar went over 178% in mine.
Yes
rickwookie wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 1:42 pm with some fascinating % complete numbers along the way! :lol:
milligoon

Post by milligoon »

When I selected the update in the car it gave me the dates of the maps.
Ex e owner
Smucker

Post by Smucker »

Am I the only one who loves the garmin nav in the Honda?! 🙄. Let us know how you get on with the update over the next few days as you say...as I’d been keen to go with it.

So much easier to read and follow vs Waze & google maps!
milligoon

Post by milligoon »

I don't mind the inbuilt nav, used Garmin in other cars for donkeys years.
Ex e owner
Marmite

Post by Marmite »

Ohhh excited - I will re-install again later then. Really nothing to lose this time anyway. My husband keep joking about this, eg. 'why don't you download Haynes manual, I could all fix on my Beetle by myself 45 years ago!' :evil:

I will wait & see if Garmin (un)help desk coming back at all!
2020 e Advance : Modern Steel Metallic + blue accent :mrgreen:

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post