Door Handles

Faults and Technical chat for the Honda E
EEEE

Post by EEEE »

duplicate post...
Last edited by EEEE on Mon Nov 06, 2023 9:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'21 e Advance - Charge Yellow - E1702RR alloys
'17 Civic Sport CVT
'00 Prelude 2.2VTi

EEEE

Post by EEEE »

Small update, noticed that the door handles have been physically disconnected from the return mechanism. So now the handles will not retract at all.

I can see why they've done it. The car does not continually try to retract the handles, as the mechanism internally is retracting on the first pull away from a stop and the car now 'senses' this. The spring that links it to the handle has been disconnected I suspect. You can further tell this is the case because when I push the handles back by hand, you can feel there is no resistance or notchetyness, they are just freely pivoting... They do pop open still.

Glad they did do this though, I guess it reduces the chance of another flat 12v incident and gets rid of the annoying clunking every time I get to traffic lights etc.

Honda did say the 12v battery was a 'little bit flat' which is a bit worrying as it was fully charged off the vehicle last week and then the car full charged and left plugged into mains and then car was then driven 1hr this morning straight to the dealer.

I have fitted the BM2 and will monitor the system. Hard to tell if its temperature compensated or not which can give a wide variation in the perceived 12v SOC.

Attempting to download the spec sheet for the OEM Panasonic 55B24L(S)-MF battery from https://www.panasonic.com/mea/en/consum ... ndard.html is buggered. Looks like Panasonic lost the middle east and asia domain (mea), and the link has since been link jacked by scam artists - do not try to click the link for the tech sheet. It would be useful to get the spec sheet and the check that against the charging specification. I suspect that somewhere in the quick integration job Honda did , something isn't working quite right, we have had too many reports of flat 12v batteries and not just from sticking door handles.

I will hold off any lithium replacement - I suspect that the voltage/charging management would not like it one bit.

I also suspect that this battery is not correct for this application. As far as I can tell, this is a starter battery as fitted to numerous Honda hybrid cars. There should be no need for a high current battery (as no cranking required), and would probably be better off with one which handles a deep cycle better (starter batteries do not like going flat, deep cycle batteries are happier and more robust against this).
'17 Civic Sport CVT
'00 Prelude 2.2VTi
EEEE

Post by EEEE »

Small update for anyone who is interested.

The door handle return mech was not disconnected. They are back to intermittent popping back in, I suspect they might have just sprayed some silicon spray inside or similar.

Had a few instances of funny window operation on the passenger side, as well as the handles attempting popping in.

The BM2 battery monitor output is interesting and is probably worth a thread all on its own (its not a great product, but its very cheap and that in itself is useful).

I popped to Halfords to pick up a new 12v battery (2 actually, going to try and fit a larger one), and bumped into another Honda e owner! A first!

As I was berating the 12v battery issue and showing the car to the staff of Halfords, the car died right in front of us. The car was opened, unlocked, I sat in it, turned on and plugged seatbelt in, then got out of the car (seatbelt then plugged in, drivers door open). CM2 shows the battery dropping to 9v when the car died. jump pack to the rescue. Car lasted barely 10 minutes in this state. the 12v battery was not charging.

More investigation needed to work out exactly what causes the 12v battery to be charged (will save for another thread) and then absolutely avoid that scenario (I was half expecting the car to die to be honest).

Went for a Yuasa 5000 series , and got an HSB '053' in the standard size, and a HSB '005' which is a 65ah capacity. I think it will fit, but getting the negative battery terminal on might be interesting. There is a decent amount of space on the left and right of the battery, but not so much in front and behind, which is where the '005' is larger by almost 2 inches. I realises this doesn't fix the problem of the 'selective' charging, but it will at least give me longer before it conks out, and by extension prevent damage to the 12v battery because the voltage will not drop as low in such circumstances.

Might wait until the weekend to fit them, and just make sure I charge the entire car via mains for the entirety of overnight, the BM2 seems to show that when the mains charging takes place, the 12v battery is at least partially charged (not a managed/staged charge, but seems to be held at 13.3v regardless) which is better than nothing, but is not a proper charge at all. The mind boggles.

Should the 12v now be completely knackered, I will jump in the Prelude (which seemed to get me more cool points with the halfords staff lol)
'17 Civic Sport CVT
'00 Prelude 2.2VTi
ZoeDave

Post by ZoeDave »

Even more minor update from me.

I had my driver's door handle replaced on Wednesday. Of course it's far too soon to tell if it did anything but as the part was ordered even when it wasn't yet a big problem that might be telling in itself. I did ask as I was collecting it whether or not it was an improved version, and was told yes, but that seemed more like a "Yes, sir, that makes both of our lives easier" than being a reliable statement of fact.

Parking was, as usual, abysmal. But that's what you get trying to build a dealership for another brand on your plot when there was barely enough space to begin with.

The one thing that did interest me was that there is an option to extend the manufacturer warranty for three years for under £1k. As it would keep my door handles in full use I was quite tempted but was then told it didn't include diagnostic fees, and I'm yet to be convinced that is how warranties should work...
londiniumperson

Post by londiniumperson »

ZoeDave wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 6:15 pm The one thing that did interest me was that there is an option to extend the manufacturer warranty for three years for under £1k. As it would keep my door handles in full use I was quite tempted but was then told it didn't include diagnostic fees, and I'm yet to be convinced that is how warranties should work...
Read the small print on the warranty, it specifically doesn't cover door handles.
2020 Advance in Crystal Black Pearl on 17's - 08/2020-Current
2015 VW Tiguan (Pure White) - 04/2018-Current
1991 Honda Beat PP1 (Festival Red) - 11/2022-Current
EEEE

Post by EEEE »

I will ask if the part number was superceded, I hope so otherwise it will become an expensive consumable (hate to think of the price of them!)

Booked in for the 22nd, they said it was a 'big job' so I assume that means more than a couple of hours. I suspect they'd have to take the window out.
'17 Civic Sport CVT
'00 Prelude 2.2VTi
peniole

Post by peniole »

And now the drivers side has failed on ours same as the passengers side. Took video of it not retracting, and have it booked in for them to have a look at.

Wasn't a big job on the passengers side last time, took them about an hour.
OCD = obsessive compulsive detailer

'22 Advance
ZoeDave

Post by ZoeDave »

londiniumperson wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 8:15 pm
ZoeDave wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 6:15 pm The one thing that did interest me was that there is an option to extend the manufacturer warranty for three years for under £1k. As it would keep my door handles in full use I was quite tempted but was then told it didn't include diagnostic fees, and I'm yet to be convinced that is how warranties should work...
Read the small print on the warranty, it specifically doesn't cover door handles.
Thank you for pointing that out - I was told the exact opposite, but of course what matter is what's in the legal blurb!
londiniumperson

Post by londiniumperson »

ZoeDave wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 8:12 pm
Thank you for pointing that out - I was told the exact opposite, but of course what matter is what's in the legal blurb!
Like you I was verbally told that they were covered, but upon reading the conditions I found out otherwise & when confronting the dealership on this their reply was that they hadn't read the conditions and that Honda UK would look on any replacement door handles very favourably but would NOT provide this in writing.
Here's a scan of the relevant page from the Honda UK extended warranty, see specifically 2.3.1 & 2.3.20
Honda extended warranty p5.pdf
(1003.56 KiB) Downloaded 440 times
Make your own mind up based on the written facts as well as your own & my personal experiences from the dealer.
2020 Advance in Crystal Black Pearl on 17's - 08/2020-Current
2015 VW Tiguan (Pure White) - 04/2018-Current
1991 Honda Beat PP1 (Festival Red) - 11/2022-Current
ZoeDave

Post by ZoeDave »

londiniumperson wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 11:00 pm
ZoeDave wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 8:12 pm
Like you I was verbally told that they were covered, but upon reading the conditions I found out otherwise & when confronting the dealership on this their reply was that they hadn't read the conditions and that Honda UK would look on any replacement door handles very favourably but would NOT provide this in writing.
Here's a scan of the relevant page from the Honda UK extended warranty, see specifically 2.3.1 & 2.3.20
Honda extended warranty p5.pdf

Make your own mind up based on the written facts as well as your own & my personal experiences from the dealer.
Oh wow - thank you again, I wonder if it would just be easier to take the money, laugh at you, then hand you an envelope with the inscription "your extended warranty covers everything apart from the details held within". Inside would be a lovely laminated piece of paper saying "YOUR CAR". Might save on the legal costs too.

I guess it might still be worth it, but more as a bet on having a reliable but super expensive component like the motor, battery or aircon randomly failing. But definitely not the value I was led to believe. I even wonder if a third-party warranty, which I've always viewed as scam-adjacent, might cover more and cost less.

On another note, is anyone else having problems seeing their own posts? I've revisited this thread a few times, and only see my latest posts if I click on the notification that I've been replied to.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post