Wallbox Recommendations

All Honda E related discussions
RecklessEngineer

Post by RecklessEngineer »

As the title says, I'm looking at getting a home 7kw wallbox put in and surprised how many options there are out there!

Just seeing what other people are using and would recommend, the key things I'd want are ability to set charging when cheap overnight tariff kicks in, an easy to use app and a cost breakdown so I can see how much of the electric bill is me charging the car in order to figure out how much less the girlfriend needs to pay! We don't have solar so don't need that part.

Any advice welcome, thanks in advance!

MattHero

Post by MattHero »

I reckon pretty much any contemporary wallbox should be able to do that TBH.... I got an Andersen A2 3.5 years ago and other than the company going bust and then getting bought out of receivership, it's been great (and looks awesome).
2020 Advance Charge Yellow on 16s.
EEEE

Post by EEEE »

I have no complaints about my hypervolt. They recently tarted up the app and made it less crap.

The car itself can schedule the charging time itself. Since there is no charger grant anymore which necessitated a smart charger, you could just got a bog standard non smart wall box and save yourself 300quid or so.

Regarding the mileage and cost, you could just take the mileage and work it out based on the average on the dash. Unless your doing mega miles, it's generally not very much.

Back of envelope calcs, 10k/miles a year, AVG 3m/KW (to include Charing losses and average over summer/winter) then 3,333kwh @ 8p is 266quid a year. That assumes all charging at home...
'21 e Advance - Charge Yellow - E1702RR alloys
'17 Civic Sport CVT
'00 Prelude 2.2VTi
RecklessEngineer

Post by RecklessEngineer »

That is a very good point, I'm still in a petrol mindset!
5thcivic

Post by 5thcivic »

I had a podpoint when we still had the subsidy, and it was the same price as getting my electrician to put in the amazon cheapies, which anyway tended to have a lot of negative reviews about reliability. It has been fine, I don't use the app to charge, it is just much easier just to program the car to accept a charge between 1 am and 6 am. But the app has all the gizmos like charging stats.
londiniumperson

Post by londiniumperson »

Don't buy a Ohme, the app regularly reports that it is off-line and I will often wake up with 30+ nonfictions telling me this & the fix is to re-boot which requires me going outside to the meter box and flipping the breaker for it.

I do have the original v1 version, so maybe the newer Pro (v2) is better but I doubt it, with the app/connectivity being issue.
Also the display on mine no longer works & even though in warranty Ohme would not replace it because it doesn't effect it use. I couldn't be bothered with the hassle pursuing them over this because they are correct in that the display has no effect or use of the unit with everything being app controlled.
2020 Advance in Crystal Black Pearl on 17's - 08/2020-Current
2015 VW Tiguan (Pure White) - 04/2018-Current
1991 Honda Beat PP1 (Festival Red) - 11/2022-Current
londiniumperson

Post by londiniumperson »

EEEE wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 8:08 pm The car itself can schedule the charging time itself. Since there is no charger grant anymore which necessitated a smart charger, you could just got a bog standard non smart wall box and save yourself 300quid or so.
Unless fitting a commando socket or using the 13Amp 3 pin socket, then all EVSEs (car chargers) have to be 'smart' as per UK regulations (UK Gov seller regs)
2020 Advance in Crystal Black Pearl on 17's - 08/2020-Current
2015 VW Tiguan (Pure White) - 04/2018-Current
1991 Honda Beat PP1 (Festival Red) - 11/2022-Current
milligoon

Post by milligoon »

If you are with Octopus or thinking of switching to them, you could take advantage of Octopus Intelligent if you get either The OHME, MyEnergi Zappi or the Wallbox, you'd then benefit from 6 hours of their cheapest tariff as well as other cheaper time slots.
Ex e owner

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post