New to the Honda E Forums? Introduce yourself here
madbiker

Post by madbiker »

Hi, I’m not picking up my 22 plate E until next Thursday but thought I would join early and take a good look around for tips etc before I actually get t.
This will be my second EV but only I’ve only seen the light since March 2022 when I purchased a new Smart Fortwo EQ.
Obviously a little concerned with the E no longer being on sale here after the stock has been sold off.
I only noticed the announcement ten minutes or so after signing on the dotted line, it also came as a shock to the guy that sold me the car after I showed him the article, he took my phone to show the rest of the showroom staff at the Honda Dealership in Bristol.
2022 Honda E Advance, Modern Steel Metalic, 16” rims.
2017 Honda MSX125.
2016 Nissan Navara Tekna on 4C air ride.
2009 Honda TRX700 road registered.

EEEE

Post by EEEE »

Welcome to the forum!

Feel free to edit your profile and put your car details in, and peruse the posts about various niggles that these cars seem to experience.
'21 e Advance - Charge Yellow - E1702RR alloys
'17 Civic Sport CVT
'00 Prelude 2.2VTi
RAL7004

Post by RAL7004 »

Welcome!
You will enjoy this marvellous little car!
madbiker

Post by madbiker »

Thank you, Really looking forward to owning a Honda Car again, in the late 70’s and in the 80’s I owned 4 Honda cars.
First was a Civic then an Accord and back to the Civic S, these were purchased new but we also had a 72 Honda Z for a few years, great little car and a shame it rusted away.
I do wish Honda would let us have access to their K cars and vans.
To be honest after reading a few post here I’m a little worried about the 12 battery issues.
2022 Honda E Advance, Modern Steel Metalic, 16” rims.
2017 Honda MSX125.
2016 Nissan Navara Tekna on 4C air ride.
2009 Honda TRX700 road registered.
EEEE

Post by EEEE »

The thing is, once you get used to the 12v battery issue, it's just a case of being prepared. Being prepared involves:

1) having a small 12v jump pack stored in the glove box. These are about 50quid for a small one (lithium type).
2) practice how to use the key to open the door. Worth spending the time to show other users as well (eg partner who may use the car). It is only a little fiddly, but to do it under duress is enough to make your partner very angry.
3) quick practice to do a jump start to get the car back to life.

If you can manage that, then you can overcome the issue most of the time. There are a couple of preventative measures, but its just a bit annoying (especially if you have bought the car when new/relatively new, its annoying not only practically but in principle).

There aren't really any preventative things you can do, because, we do not know for sure what causes the random 12v drain to occur. Buying a new battery can help, but to what extent we don't know. We do not know if when the random drain decides to occur, how much of a drain it is. What I do know is a new battery has over double the measured capacity of the original one that isn't even 3 years old. I've gone bigger still (logic being if the drain drains the old battery over 4 hours, maybe now I have 8 to 12hours before Im 'shafted').

It annoys me from a tech perspective because the adoption of EVs relies on the users accepting it. They won't accept it if they have to learn stupid facts/procedures, increasing the burden on the owner over a petrol car. No one cares about 12v battery issues in an ICE car... Once the user is too burdened, the user will just turn back to ICE. I wish I didn't have to worry about 12v battery issues, but my mind is constantly thinking of how I can test, how I can monitor, how I can overcome the issue and remove 1 less burden from ownership.

Other than 12v battery issues and door handle / window issues (maybe connected), the rest of the car seems OK. We do not have many reported issues outside of that.
'17 Civic Sport CVT
'00 Prelude 2.2VTi
Isotope Toast

Post by Isotope Toast »

@EEEE, can you recommend a 12v jump pack?
jonc

Post by jonc »

To put some perspective, I've had my e for two years and never experienced any problems with the 12v battery.
2020 e Advance - Platinum White Pearl
iHansz

Post by iHansz »

jonc wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 3:29 pm To put some perspective, I've had my e for two years and never experienced any problems with the 12v battery.
Me neither. Car is now 3 years old.
Dutch Advance in Charge Yellow on 17"
1st registered Oct 2020
Home charger: public charging stations only
asjo

Post by asjo »

iHansz wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 4:24 pm Me neither. Car is now 3 years old.
2½ years for me, no 12V battery problems.
EEEE

Post by EEEE »

Perhaps it's a UK thing?

Maybe we should start a thread to try and get a handle on who has had issues and who hasn't?
'17 Civic Sport CVT
'00 Prelude 2.2VTi