Quick Plug-In Charge Error / Slower DC Charging?

Faults and Technical chat for the Honda E
Minky92

Post by Minky92 »

Last night I plugged into an Instavolt charger in Sheffield for a quick top-up. After trying to initiate a charge, the status indicator flashed red and brought up the "Quick Plug-In Charging System Problem. Standard Charging Is Available." error message. This has come up a couple of times in the past, but it tends to clear itself up upon using a different charger. I was able to reach my next charge stop, only to find this error persisting, and no CCS connector would work.

The error was still present today. On the advice of various posts online I disconnected and reconnected the 12v battery, which cleared the warning, and the E seems to be accepting charge through CCS again. However, it seems to be far slower than usual; I tried 3 different chargers, all with the same results. I don't think the E ever got above 22KW, less than half its usual rate of charge. While a full charge on rapid would normally take 40-50 minutes, it looks like it'll now take double that time, which makes longer journeys pretty much unworkable.

Has anyone else experienced this? If so, what was the fix, and should I be calling my dealership?

5thcivic

Post by 5thcivic »

How long did you disconnect the 12V? To clear a flat battery problem on my old Civic the service department recommened leaving it off for 10 or 15 minutes and that got me working again, since I had only disconnected for a minute or two and that was not enough to clear charge from all the caps and get a true micro reboot. I would phone the service dept and describe the symptoms and see what they say.
EEEE

Post by EEEE »

I always found DC charging so variable you could never rely on any given speed at any time or place. I think the max I ever saw was just over 40kw, but only briefly. 30ish seemed normal, but I've seen 20kw before aswell.

Too many variables I think.l, in the car and the charger.

I don't believe anyone else has reported the slow ess after the temporary DC fault.
'21 e Advance - Charge Yellow - E1702RR alloys
'17 Civic Sport CVT
'00 Prelude 2.2VTi
WryWondaWe

Post by WryWondaWe »

Minky92 wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 5:50 pm Last night I plugged into an Instavolt charger in Sheffield for a quick top-up. After trying to initiate a charge, the status indicator flashed red and brought up the "Quick Plug-In Charging System Problem. Standard Charging Is Available." error message. This has come up a couple of times in the past, but it tends to clear itself up upon using a different charger. I was able to reach my next charge stop, only to find this error persisting, and no CCS connector would work.

The error was still present today. On the advice of various posts online I disconnected and reconnected the 12v battery, which cleared the warning, and the E seems to be accepting charge through CCS again. However, it seems to be far slower than usual; I tried 3 different chargers, all with the same results. I don't think the E ever got above 22KW, less than half its usual rate of charge. While a full charge on rapid would normally take 40-50 minutes, it looks like it'll now take double that time, which makes longer journeys pretty much unworkable.

Has anyone else experienced this? If so, what was the fix, and should I be calling my dealership?
Hey @Minky92, this is exactly what happened to me Autumn last year - and I think that might also have been at an InstaVolt charger :/ Luckily, it was still under warranty and so I took it to a nearby Honda dealership, where a System Update apparently addressed this issue - and solved the problem for me. And I haven't had it repeat since on any DC charger, including InstaVolt ones - and any issues at DC chargers giving the dreaded flashing red charging port light have seemingly been the charger's fault, rather than the car's.

@EEEE I've certainly had a 44kW charging speed, but only when DC charging up to about 50%...
The voodoo who do what you don't dare to people
hurricaneh5

Post by hurricaneh5 »

Just had the dreaded error connected to the Amp ev fuse charger in Kendal got 20% in then this! Luckily sainsburys have 7kw chargers!

Currently slow charging here hoping it will work in Wednesday when I charge on a 50kw!!

Any resets or advice appreciated.. read a few posts whilst waiting around disconnecting the 12v battery to it resolving in next charge, to worst case replacement hardware circa £800!! 😬

IMG_1105.jpeg

EEEE

Post by EEEE »

Where are you based? It would be good to get a fault read out.
'21 e Advance - Charge Yellow - E1702RR alloys
'17 Civic Sport CVT
'00 Prelude 2.2VTi
hurricaneh5

Post by hurricaneh5 »

Update: limped home after multiple DC charger fails managed to get a steady 7kw in and hey presto fault disappeared!

Yet to charge on DC my usual 50kw 🙏🏻 for me
hurricaneh5

Post by hurricaneh5 »

EEEE wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 5:15 pm Where are you based? It would be good to get a fault read out.
Up in sunny cumbria went in the hidden menu to see if I could see any faults… non apparent anyway charged at slow rate to get home and it disappeared.

Cuz has a remapping business so will plug in if fault reappears….

And yes I’ve asked no maps for the e yet 😛
FDAD

Post by FDAD »

hurricaneh5 wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 6:52 pm
EEEE wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 5:15 pm Where are you based? It would be good to get a fault read out.
Up in sunny cumbria went in the hidden menu to see if I could see any faults… non apparent anyway charged at slow rate to get home and it disappeared.

Cuz has a remapping business so will plug in if fault reappears….

And yes I’ve asked no maps for the e yet 😛
See if he can remove the speed limiter :D
Honda E advance [Modern Steel Metallic] 8-) [DELIVERED JULY 2020] - 85 000Kms + ✌️🎂
Minky92

Post by Minky92 »

Just as an update I'm now charging at a Shell 175kW charger in Buckden. Was at around 33% arriving, the highest speed it's managed is 38kW. At around 60% it dropped all the way down to 26kW, then crawled back up to 30kW. It stayed there for good 10 minutes, but at around 78% charge it crashed down to 20kW and has remained there since. The charge curve is never usually quite this mediocre. It's serviceable, but not as 'rapid' as normal. Regaining 50% charge in 26 minutes isn't terrible by any means, I'm just unnerved by how inconsistent the speeds are.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post