Quick Plug-In Charge Error / Slower DC Charging?

Faults and Technical chat for the Honda E
MattHero

Post by MattHero »

I know this isn't especially helpful, but to echo comments above, I've never seen anything much over 40kW rate on any rapid, ever. Sure, I only use them a handful of times a year and I'm never in a hurry, but from the ~10% I tend to arrive to the ~90% I tend to leave with, it's in the 40kW-25kW range. Unless mine has always been similarly broken, I've assumed that this is the reality of the 60kW max rate advertised?
2020 Advance Charge Yellow on 16s.

hurricaneh5

Post by hurricaneh5 »

FDAD wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 8:12 am
hurricaneh5 wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 6:52 pm
EEEE wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 5:15 pm Where are you based? It would be good to get a fault read out.
Up in sunny cumbria went in the hidden menu to see if I could see any faults… non apparent anyway charged at slow rate to get home and it disappeared.

Cuz has a remapping business so will plug in if fault reappears….

And yes I’ve asked no maps for the e yet 😛
See if he can remove the speed limiter :D
💨💨🏎️😏👍🏻
hondaeboy

Post by hondaeboy »

Minky92 wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 3:40 pm Just as an update I'm now charging at a Shell 175kW charger in Buckden. Was at around 33% arriving, the highest speed it's managed is 38kW. At around 60% it dropped all the way down to 26kW, then crawled back up to 30kW. It stayed there for good 10 minutes, but at around 78% charge it crashed down to 20kW and has remained there since. The charge curve is never usually quite this mediocre. It's serviceable, but not as 'rapid' as normal. Regaining 50% charge in 26 minutes isn't terrible by any means, I'm just unnerved by how inconsistent the speeds are.
Well, the speeds aren't inconsistant at all, and you pretty much got the charge speeds that you are supposed to get according to the official charge curve. If the battery is a little bit too cold, the speeds might be a little lower:

10%: 50 kW
20%: 40 kW
40%: 30 kW
70%: 20 kW
90%: 10 kW
2021 Honda e Advance on 16" RC30 wheels with Goodyear 195/55 & 205/55 tyres.
Wrapped in Red metallic with full black and cinnamon leather interior.
Minky92

Post by Minky92 »

An update...
The charger did indeed appear to be back to normal and had behaved for several months. The previously documented speeds were seemingly down to the chargers rather than the car itself, and I was able to undertake several long journeys with many rapid stops (including a marathon between Manchester and London in a single day, with 6+ charge stops) without issue.
However, this past weekend, the rapid charge system completely died on me again in the middle of a long motorway trip, a mere hour after successfully topping up at a rapid prior to setting off. This time the culprit was a Gridserve charger at Hilton Park M6 southbound; these machines have usually behaved for me and rapid charged reliably. But this time the socket immediately flashed red and brought up the charge system problem warning. Disconnecting the 12v didn't help, slow charging didn't help, finding a different charger didn't help.
Can't even begin to imagine what's caused it, but at this point it honestly doesn't matter. I've completely lost faith in this car. It's out of warranty so I imagine taking it back to the dealership will just land me with a huge bill, but I've no idea what else I can do. If it can be repaired, I'll be getting rid of it at the earliest opportunity. As much as I love this thing, it's not worth the hassle anymore.
EEEE

Post by EEEE »

Minky92 wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 11:34 pm An update...
The charger did indeed appear to be back to normal and had behaved for several months. The previously documented speeds were seemingly down to the chargers rather than the car itself, and I was able to undertake several long journeys with many rapid stops (including a marathon between Manchester and London in a single day, with 6+ charge stops) without issue.
However, this past weekend, the rapid charge system completely died on me again in the middle of a long motorway trip, a mere hour after successfully topping up at a rapid prior to setting off. This time the culprit was a Gridserve charger at Hilton Park M6 southbound; these machines have usually behaved for me and rapid charged reliably. But this time the socket immediately flashed red and brought up the charge system problem warning. Disconnecting the 12v didn't help, slow charging didn't help, finding a different charger didn't help.
Can't even begin to imagine what's caused it, but at this point it honestly doesn't matter. I've completely lost faith in this car. It's out of warranty so I imagine taking it back to the dealership will just land me with a huge bill, but I've no idea what else I can do. If it can be repaired, I'll be getting rid of it at the earliest opportunity. As much as I love this thing, it's not worth the hassle anymore.
It is a shame that there doesn't appear to be official/technical recourse for helping to ensure charger/car interoperability is maintained and works and is looked into when needed.

It may be worth inquiring with the honda dealer as several others have mentioned an update to the charging circuit which supposedly fixes the issue permanently. I avoid public charging almost entirely as it just cannot be relied upon (whether its reliability, availability, or these kinds of car-charger gremlins). Its a sad state of affairs that the honda seems so prone to the error, and that the 'infrastructure' to support EVs is critical to prevent people falling out of love with their lovely cars (it is lovely, but so so delicate in many ways).

It might be worth contacting the charging company to see if they can provide you with detailed logs (say you want to pass them on to Honda to resolve the charging issues).
'21 e Advance - Charge Yellow - E1702RR alloys
'17 Civic Sport CVT
'00 Prelude 2.2VTi

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post