12v Battery issues - is Lithium the solution

Faults and Technical chat for the Honda E
advance2020

Post by advance2020 »

Having issues with my 12V battery again. I am already on my 2nd 12V (replaced under warranty) but now I have to decide.
Do I just buy another Lead Acid for around £80 or invest in a Lithium 12V 100ah that could cost nearer to £500 but have a much improved life.

I don’t know enough about this topic, so decided to ask you guys.
Has anyone made the change to a Lithium 12V ?
Mr EV on YouTube seems to think all EVs should be fitted with Lithium 12V as standard
He has had many issues with Kia dying, and we know the pain if a 12V starts to loose its ability to hold its charge
Platinum White Pearl: e-driving green at last, on R17 Michelin Pilot Sport
A fan of One Pedal Driving max >>> and physical buttons

E-vteclover

Post by E-vteclover »

Is the standart Volt current delivered from the E good for charging 12v lithium batteries would be my first question?

For example,portable lead acid chargers are not always good for charging lithium batteries
keithr

Post by keithr »

I bought my Honda e about the same time as you (September 2020), although I don't drive it as much as most people - my car has only done about 6,300 miles so far! However, from the first week that I bought it, I have charged up the 12V battery once a week with a smart charger (currently a CTEK 5A charger), and I'm still using the same battery that the car came with. Probably because I don't do many miles a week, it can take up to 5.5 hours to charge the battery, so it would probably benefit from being charged more than once a week, but nevertheless just charging it once a week seems to have helped maintain the battery so far (3.5 years). So I would recommend simply buying a new lead-acid battery and getting into the habit of charging it with a smart charger at least once a week. Just pick a time when you usually don't need to go out in the car and charge it then. If you're lucky enough to be able to park your car in a garage (my garage is too small) then it would be easy to just connect up the charger overnight. I just connect it to the battery with crocodile clips and place the charger in the open charge port, close the bonnet and then plug the 12v smart charger in, so it's very easy to do.
s2ke

Post by s2ke »

My car had numerous 12v issues to the point I bought a voltmeter which sits in my accessory socket.

I think my passenger side handle was playing up and draining it. This got worse recently, lights staying on when I locked and ultimately a ticking when I drive which was the relay trying to lock that door

Check it is popping in and out on the remote and check it's action
Xeast

Post by Xeast »

s2ke wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 9:29 pm My car had numerous 12v issues to the point I bought a voltmeter which sits in my accessory socket.

I think my passenger side handle was playing up and draining it. This got worse recently, lights staying on when I locked and ultimately a ticking when I drive which was the relay trying to lock that door

Ive had these exact problems with passenger window, "ghostlocking" and my 12v drains from 95% down to 40-50% in under 24h some days and the battery is only 3months old since I got a new one on warranty in Januari. during this winter my 12V has gone flat 4 times and thats after just standing for 24-48hours, and no this discharge apparently happens even when its +5C but ofc it gets worse in colder months.

The cas has been in the shop 5 times since december and im today thinking about "lodge a claim" bcs a 1year old car you should be able to leave for more then 48hours in mild weather without it draining the 12v til flat
londiniumperson

Post by londiniumperson »

Xeast wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 1:42 pm
s2ke wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 9:29 pm My car had numerous 12v issues to the point I bought a voltmeter which sits in my accessory socket.

Ive had these exact problems with passenger window, "ghostlocking" and my 12v drains from 95% down to 40-50% in under 24h some days and the battery is only 3months old since I got a new one on warranty in Januari. during this winter my 12V has gone flat 4 times and thats after just standing for 24-48hours, and no this discharge apparently happens even when its +5C but ofc it gets worse in colder months.

The cas has been in the shop 5 times since december and im today thinking about "lodge a claim" bcs a 1year old car you should be able to leave for more then 48hours in mild weather without it draining the 12v til flat
A couple of years ago my UK dealer verbally told me that they did a BMS update at a service on my Honda e after I had issues with the 12V battery phantom draining.
I don't have this in writing, so do not know if is true or just something they said to placate me at the time.
I'd suggest asking your dealer to check with Honda Head Office to find out.
2020 Advance in Crystal Black Pearl on 17's - 08/2020-Current
2015 VW Tiguan (Pure White) - 04/2018-Current
1991 Honda Beat PP1 (Festival Red) - 11/2022-Current
mrdo

Post by mrdo »

I'd be interested to hear this too.

Currently intending on buying an e in the next month or so but am now just so worried about potential problems such as the battery issues and the door handle issues. Had convinced myself that there's so much help available in this forum that it will probably be ok but not so sure now.
FDAD

Post by FDAD »

mrdo wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 6:08 pm I'd be interested to hear this too.

Currently intending on buying an e in the next month or so but am now just so worried about potential problems such as the battery issues and the door handle issues. Had convinced myself that there's so much help available in this forum that it will probably be ok but not so sure now.
My door handles must be a different version then everyone else's... I literally pressure wash them on the inside and not once have they failed on me... ;)
(Don't tell anyone but I wash the front bay area too)

I say you'll be fine.
Honda E advance [Modern Steel Metallic] 8-) [DELIVERED JULY 2020] - 85 000Kms + ✌️🎂
mrdo

Post by mrdo »

FDAD wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 7:17 pm I say you'll be fine.
What colour e do you have in case I need to swap door handles with you? :-)
E-vteclover

Post by E-vteclover »

Have mine 5 months now and whas almost 3 years
no problems so far.
Not with the door handles or battery.
Battery is the oem panasonic,dont know if its still the first one.

Just once the wallpaperscreens went black when driving but they automatic started back up (black with spinning
Circle)

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post