12V battery issues

All Honda E related discussions
Verone

Post by Verone »

Installed my Yuasa 5000 series today, so things should be grand from here... I just 100% do not trust the standard Panasonic battery after everything I've heard about them.

001.jpg

Icelandic Advance Limited Edition in Premium Crystal Red on 17" rims
Registered May 2023
Home Type 2 Charging & Free Work Type 2 Charging! Woo!
ODO - 8750km

5thcivic

Post by 5thcivic »

What is the model number please, and I assume it fits with no problem? Panasonic was 45Ah 400A, from picture it looks like 50 /450?
EEEE

Post by EEEE »

YBX053 at a guess, hard to make out since the bracket is in the way.

HSB053 is the model I purchased from halfords for 89.95. There doesn't seem to be any listed difference between the batteries other than warranty offered, so I guess both are the same otherwise. I don't think it really matters what you replace it with, as long as it isn't the original which has probably gone flat in the past.
'21 e Advance - Charge Yellow - E1702RR alloys
'17 Civic Sport CVT
'00 Prelude 2.2VTi
Verone

Post by Verone »

5thcivic wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 8:33 pm What is the model number please, and I assume it fits with no problem? Panasonic was 45Ah 400A, from picture it looks like 50 /450?
It's a Yuasa 5000 series - YBX5053. 450A 50Ah.

Seems that most people who've had a flat battery with the original Panasonic cell (400A - 45Ah) have upgraded to this.

My Panasonic cell had been completely fine, even all the way through the winter when it got as low as -20°c, and it going flat was entirely my fault because I left the lights on.

Decided to swap to this just in case issues started to rear their heads - a car battery is never the same once it's been flat, even when recharged.
Registered May 2023
ODO - 8750km
5thcivic

Post by 5thcivic »

Thanks, same thing happened on my old Civic when I was in hospital with Covid in the first wave, recharging kept it going for a while but the next winter, no use
advance2020

Post by advance2020 »

I had issues this week. Was sat in my car, listening to the Budget on my radio, while having lunch. Time went by. Probably about 45 mins and car was dead. And I was on a remote rural road long way from home. Had to call my wife (not happy having to leave work) and use her battery to “jump start” my car. Once brought back to life, High Voltage soon charged up 12V, but what a pain!

So, yes you must power up car to keep your 12V State of Charge and Voltage up. And expect to have to replace your 12V battery every 2 years*, or invest in a Lithium 12V - see new Topic

*My original 12V was replaced under warranty April 2022 after less than 2yrs use. 2 years on its time that I replaced mine again

Ok, I decided to go ahead and buy another 12V Lead Acid. Went for Yuasa Silver 5000 Series YBX 5053 50AH as others have done at £71.82 Not yet fitted, but comes with 5 year Warranty. Time will tell if that applies to BEV usage, but it may. Also has a little black window on the top, which glows Green while charging. And as you can see from Label, it should indicate if Battery needs a charge or replacement.

It’s the same size as original but it is 50AH not 45AH.

IMG_8222.jpeg

IMG_8219.jpeg

Last edited by advance2020 on Tue Mar 12, 2024 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Platinum White Pearl: e-driving green at last, on R17 Michelin Pilot Sport
A fan of One Pedal Driving max >>> and physical buttons
EEEE

Post by EEEE »

The annoying thing is that the message that pops up to warn you the system will go flat is so long and so unclear everyone just presses yes to cancel the cut off.
'21 e Advance - Charge Yellow - E1702RR alloys
'17 Civic Sport CVT
'00 Prelude 2.2VTi
advance2020

Post by advance2020 »

advance2020 wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 11:12 am I had issues this week. Was sat in my car, listening to the Budget on my radio, while having lunch. Time went by. Probably about 45 mins and car was dead. And I was on a remote rural road long way from home. Had to call my wife (not happy having to leave work) and use her battery to “jump start” my car. Once brought back to life, High Voltage soon charged up 12V, but what a pain!

So, yes you must power up car to keep your 12V State of Charge and Voltage up. And expect to have to replace your 12V battery every 2 years*, or invest in a Lithium 12V - see new Topic

*My original 12V was replaced under warranty April 2022 after less than 2yrs use. 2 years on its time that I replaced mine again

Ok, I decided to go ahead and buy another 12V Lead Acid. Went for Yuasa Silver 5000 Series YBX 5053 50AH as others have done at £71.82 Not yet fitted, but comes with 5 year Warranty. Time will tell if that applies to BEV usage, but it may. Also has a little black window on the top, which glows Green while charging. And as you can see from Label, it should indicate if Battery needs a charge or replacement.

“ a car battery is never the same once it's been flat, even when recharged.” added this quote from Verone, as this is a good point. If your Honda e has “died” and 12V has lost all its charge, which it will, it will never be the same. Time to replace the 12V or you will have ongoing problems.

It’s the same size as original but it is 50AH not 45AH. IMG_8222.jpeg
IMG_8219.jpeg
Platinum White Pearl: e-driving green at last, on R17 Michelin Pilot Sport
A fan of One Pedal Driving max >>> and physical buttons
Verone

Post by Verone »

advance2020 wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 11:12 am Also has a little black window on the top, which glows Green while charging. And as you can see from Label, it should indicate if Battery needs a charge or replacement.
This doesn't glow while charging. Look down inside it. It basically just has a little green ball it that denotes battery health.

It'll float in the battery's electrolyte when the battery is properly charged and you'll be able to see it.
Registered May 2023
ODO - 8750km
Wee Peem

Post by Wee Peem »

Just a bit of advice please. Awaiting delivery of Yuasa YBX5053 12 volt battery from Halfords, £89.95 including delivery. If I do NOT maintain a 12 volt supply whilst doing the change over what am I likely to have to reset or what data will I lose and anything else I should be concerned about ? I remember the warning about losing battery clamps down into the "guts."

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post