Charge to 80% or 100%?

All Honda E related discussions
Stiwaz

Post by Stiwaz »

I charge to 100% when using AC, 22kw chargers.
When using CCS2 50Kw chargers i only charge to 80%.
The manual says very little about it.. But i found this

IMG_5532.jpg

Reuben80

Post by Reuben80 »

Stiwaz wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 7:34 am I charge to 100% when using AC, 22kw chargers.
When using CCS2 50Kw chargers i only charge to 80%.
The manual says very little about it.. But i found this
IMG_5532.jpg
That is just an indication of time, not how to take care of the battery.
londiniumperson

Post by londiniumperson »

Reuben80 wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 9:55 pm Londiniumperson, it's OK if you don't believe what I say but you don't even believe what a big car maker like VW say about maintaining the batteries of the ID3?
Watch here, from minute 5. Extraction from the manual of the ID3
@Reuben80 I remember watching that soon after it came out because I also have a deposit down on the ID.3 and was considering buying one even though I had my Honda e arriving imminently (I had negotiated a penalty free order cancellation on the Honda).
Back to the video you linked to, like I stated in a previous comment; read the specific manufacturer supplied manual of the vehicle in question and adhere to their documented advice on battery management. You are advocating using a VW's battery advice on the Honda which considering that they are different batteries with different hardware & software BMS's that is extremely bad advice.

The ID.3 is a different vehicle with a different BMS, simply put the VW has a documented total 10% of the battery unallocated for customer use whereas the Honda has around 20% undocumented. We do not know how that is split between the top/bottom on the Honda however if we make the assumption that the there's no benefit in having more than VW at the lower end, so 6%, with the remaining 14% at the top, this would mean 0% on the Honda GOM=6% of the physical battery & where the GOM=100% this would be 86% of the physical battery.

So to summarize, charging the Honda e battery to the maximum of 100% is effectively charging it to 86% of the actual capacity of the physical battery.

One final issue with not regularly charging to the maximum 100% possible is that the battery cell balancing will not take place and ultimately the batteries could be adversely affected in the long term.
2020 Advance in Crystal Black Pearl on 17's - 08/2020-Current
2015 VW Tiguan (Pure White) - 04/2018-Current
1991 Honda Beat PP1 (Festival Red) - 11/2022-Current
Trykpaa

Post by Trykpaa »

There is obviously a difference in strategy between manufacturers to consider. Honda have always had a rather conservative approach though it had been less the last decade.

E.g. claimed fuel tank size in a petrol Honda is useable. Actual size is larger. Reserve (fuel light on) is still useable range. Once remaining range is 0km there is still typically about 3 liters left.
For comparison, in a Mini petrol, instructions says engine can sustain damage if running the car on reserve.

That said, batteries are batteries, regardless batch on the front of the car. With the limited information available the background for 'fully charging' recommendation is anybodys guess.
Instructions need to be short and precise for everybody. Maybe more information is considered to cause more confusion than benefit? Maybe reserve is designed such that battery life is sufficient charging' to 100% every time? Maybe bms is designed to only properly balance the battery at 100%.

This kind of doubt from incomplete information (all information is incomplete) isn't unque to BEVs but does get lots of attention in BEVs.
milligoon

Post by milligoon »

Only with people owning them for a while will we see what the situation is, it also depends a lot on driving styles and conditions, I like the fact that they don't have the car kicking you in the neck( I've had three discs removed from my neck recently so really appreciate that), that has to have some longevity benefits for the drive train suspension and Battery?

Once I get over the initial excitement of the car and settle down to the humdrum commute to work (and if the 600 mile rolling average on the data if true) comes into play no doubt we all will be able to get a better idea of what the car is actually capable of.

Does anyone know if you are able to export the Journeys data from the App? (I have contacted customer support about this as not in the FAQs)
Ex e owner
ChesterUK

Post by ChesterUK »

We're charging to 100%, but only charging when we need to. The battery is small enough without logically making it smaller by not fully charging it (well, to the level we can anyway).

I've seen plenty of evidence to suggest that these worries are pretty much for nought. The one take-away I've seen is to not keep the battery topped up to 100% after every tiny journey (and that was Bobby Lew in his 24kWh Leaf!). Battery capacity dropping is one of the least concerns I have for this car.
crushuk

Post by crushuk »

i have just sold my Vauxhall ampera, this had a battery managed system similar to the Honda. only 50 miles in the battery... real world more like 40 miles but did manage to get 44 miles once from Scarborough to York just where the road turns from signal to duel carigeway on the A64.. i always pluged it in and kept it at 100%.. the manuay said to always keep it pluged in... also on the chevy Volt (same as the Ampera) he did over 300,000 miles with hardly any battery degradation but that was about 2 years ago. so iam going to keep mine (when i get it) pluged in at home as much as i can you never know when i need it.
eread

Post by eread »

I know some people have been saying they charge to 90% but I'm just curious would 95% still be okay to help save the battery? A strange number but just curious. I'd be interested if anyone was charging to that and saw any effect to the battery.
londiniumperson

Post by londiniumperson »

eread wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 2:43 pm I know some people have been saying they charge to 90% but I'm just curious would 95% still be okay to help save the battery? A strange number but just curious. I'd be interested if anyone was charging to that and saw any effect to the battery.
I charge depending on the energy cost. I'm on the Octopus Agile tariff (a variable tariff with half hour rates), so if I don't need the car the next day then I'll just pick the times where the cost is <7p/kWh and live with whatever charge that I end up with, if any. If I need to drive a specific distance the following day then I'll pick the lowest price/kWh to makes sure that the car has at least an additional 20 miles more than I need. Finally if the cost is <3p/kWh than I'll juice it up to the max.

Note that I'm currently using the 3-pin granny charger until my 7kW home charger is installed. Once this happens then because I'll be able to charge quicker than I currently can, then I'll probably keep to my same logic but charge at lower p/kWh thresholds.

PS - I've just this past weekend installed a little toy, which has been driven (excuse the pun) by the arrival of my Honda e & I'll post about in another thread soon.
2020 Advance in Crystal Black Pearl on 17's - 08/2020-Current
2015 VW Tiguan (Pure White) - 04/2018-Current
1991 Honda Beat PP1 (Festival Red) - 11/2022-Current
ChesterUK

Post by ChesterUK »

When we eventually get our smart meter (it's been taking an age) when we're going on to Octopus Go to charge at 5p between 00:30 - 04:30. I'm not currently brave enough to go on to Agile, but the half hour cost data for the previous year (I think) can be downloaded. It would be interesting to see how often the charge goes <=5p.

Having the fast charger means you'll be able to enjoy more kWh at the lowest rates. That will be nice!

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post