Dead Honda e

Faults and Technical chat for the Honda E
ZeroEmissionRequiem

Post by ZeroEmissionRequiem »

MaXPainT wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 6:27 am Thanks for the update! Did you allow updates to be installed when the car is turned off? There was a prompt before the OTA. Maybe, it is a good idea to disable the option. I would rather spend five minutes waiting for the update to be installed than find my car with a dead 12v battery.
Unfortunately I don't remember at all.
hondaero wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 7:30 pm giving the thread growing here and no official response from Honda, it might make sense to temporary disable OTA and use offline upgrade mode (via USB) to check if any updates time to time.
Mine downloaded the update package successfully (via phone wifi since my eSIM is not activated), so I'd presume the Over The Air process is not at fault here. In my case at least, the update process got stuck in the "preparing to install" part, which according to Honda is what eventually drained the battery. Sure there may be a connection to the downloading process, but if the update package itself is the same at usb.honda.com, no reason to think this couldn't happen with an offline update.
2022 e Advance

londiniumperson

Post by londiniumperson »

ZeroEmissionRequiem wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 10:38 pm Mine downloaded the update package successfully (via phone wifi since my eSIM is not activated), so I'd presume the Over The Air process is not at fault here. In my case at least, the update process got stuck in the "preparing to install" part, which according to Honda is what eventually drained the battery. Sure there may be a connection to the downloading process, but if the update package itself is the same at usb.honda.com, no reason to think this couldn't happen with an offline update.
It doesn't download using the eSIM unless you've paid for the WiFi monthly subscription, which very few people will have opted to do.
2020 Advance in Crystal Black Pearl on 17's - 08/2020-Current
2015 VW Tiguan (Pure White) - 04/2018-Current
1991 Honda Beat PP1 (Festival Red) - 11/2022-Current
HondaNoMore

Post by HondaNoMore »

Honda E back from dealer. On death row but so far ok. I had given them screenshots of the voltage dropping from 11.5 to 6 volts in two hours. After liaising with Honda UK it is believed that flat battery was caused by car attempting to "phone home" and contacting Honda for an update which had been switched off at Honda. Car kept trying to contact Honda intermittently and this was draining battery....

Why when designing the car a system wasn't included to protect battery being drained by any part of car and prioritize starting is beyond my limited intelligence...
HondaNoMore

Post by HondaNoMore »

Getting ready to go out for last minute Christmas Eve shopping.

Dead again Arghhhhhhhh... what a heap of.....

Merry Christmas anyway
EEEE

Post by EEEE »

That sucks! At least if it's happening regularly it should be easier to find the cause.

I haven't done any further investigation yet, but I'll have a few days off in-between Christmas and new year hopefully.
'21 e Advance - Charge Yellow - E1702RR alloys
'17 Civic Sport CVT
'00 Prelude 2.2VTi
5thcivic

Post by 5thcivic »

I've not had a 12V problem which is of no use to those that have, but read a piece on my phone this morning about Hyundai failures in the States. Could not find the exact article but a quick google came up with many many Hyundai and Kia problems of EV 12V failures like this:

https://insideevs.com/news/658984/hyund ... 0Ioniq%205.

Basically the app or other bluetooth apps or the car sim waking up and making unneccesary drains repeatedly which can add up to draining the 12V to the point where the car can't power up. Could be interesting if there is not a hardware fault which you would imagine would show up rather more consistently.

A hardware fault could still be a possibility. My 1st 8th generation Civic, which I really liked, flattend the battery a couple of times and had a recall on the fusebox micro which needed changing to cure the fault. That however was presumably on a large enough sample to justify a recall.
asjo

Post by asjo »

Gerynant24 wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 7:29 pm
asjo wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 8:39 pm 2½ year in with mine, no, not yet; knock on wood.
I'd get a battery test and a battery monitor fitted if I were you, it looks like 3 years is the best you can expect. Worst of all is ours is only just out of warranty...
What dfference would a battery monitor do, besides giving me more to worry about and graphs to moan about?

I have starter cables, they'll do nicely when the battery finally gets too old.

It's not like the 12V batteries in petrol cars or other EVs last forever :-)
HondaNoMore

Post by HondaNoMore »

A battery monitor can give advance warning of a problem or evidence of what's happening. Before Christmas with an E a year old and on its second battery we saw voltage drop from 12to 6 volts in a couple of hours which indicates problems with the car attempting soft ware updates rather than a battery issue.
asjo

Post by asjo »

HondaNoMore wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 6:42 pm A battery monitor can give advance warning of a problem or evidence of what's happening.
Yes, and I haven't had any 12V-battery problems during the 2½+ years I have had my car - why would I waste money on a battery monitor now?!
HondaNoMore

Post by HondaNoMore »

I still don't understand how the car calls out for software updates without the owners permission or what happens when it attempts this but there is no WiFi or phone signal in the area. Does it sit there dialling out until the battery goes flat...

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post